• 3 Post By JerseyJeeper
  • 4 Post By Ken
  • 7 Post By littletommy
  • 3 Post By Xracer
  • 2 Post By socalnative
  • 4 Post By admiral

Thread: Rev'it Airwave 2 Pants - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Rev'it Airwave 2 Pants - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

I've been looking for a pair of armored pants that I can wear in the summer time and not die of heat stroke. Seems easy to do, but living in this area means summers are often brutally humid. I've already had heat exhaustion - avoiding it again is a good thing, and moving air is a requirement. So with a little holiday gift money left, I decided to finally invest in a pair of adventure pants with a good reputation.

pants.jpg
    Rev'it's Airwave 2 pants seem to fit the bill.

So I bought the women's pants.

THE GOOD
    • They received glowing reviews from other users,
    • have armor in the knees and hips,
    • have large sections of mesh as well as solid slide panels,
    • come in a 'silver' color choice to help mitigate heat absorption,
    • AND! they not only come in different short, regular and long lengths,
    • but also come in women's cut!

Wow, that's a lot of goodness in one pair of pants.

THE BAD
    Now, since I came on this forum, I've seriously injured my foot, stopped exercising, and gained about 25 pounds. But the Rev'it Airwave 2 pants came in a size 46, which is roughly an 16 in most women's pants cuts. They fit... barely. No problem, I need to lose a few inches anyway. But the tight fit wasn't as much of an issue as the odd way the knee armor angled inwards. Granted, I've not had the experience of an unplanned dismount where they would matter, but I would think armor should fit more on the OUTSIDE center of the knee to protect the kneecap from the road, not the bike? Seemed weird. So I took the armor out and tried to re-position it a little higher so it would sit properly. No luck.

On the chance the men's cut would fit better, I ordered a pair of them too, reasoning I could send back whichever pair fit worse.

THE UGLY
    Like most sports apparel, there is a huge disparity between men's gear and women's gear. I should have expected this, but the truth is, I hoped motorcycle gear would be different.

First is the sizing.
    While the women's pants come in 7 numbered sizes, European 34 - 46, the men's pants come in 9 alpha sizes, sm - 6xl. That doesn't seem like a big deal - it's only 2 more sizes, after all. But not really. Looking at the inch measurements provided, women's have only a 10" variation in waist sizes (25" to 35"), versus the men's which have a 23.2" variation (29.9" - 53.1")! The guys have twice the variety of sizes to choose from. It's like women aren't allowed to be protected once they stop being classically 'pretty'.

RevitPantsSizeChart.png
    Size chart showing the women's selection on the left, versus the men's selection on the right.

Okay, so this is the typical skinny girl / beer belly syndrome. I've seen it before and don't mind ordering men's stuff for the fit.
    And they did fit. Fit amazingly well. There's the typical gap at the waistline, but that's just a minor annoyance. The short version even put the armor where my knees naturally sit on the bike, which is amazing! For that alone I love the way these fit.

Second is the protection.
    This is the one that really killed me. Since I had both pairs of pants, I had the opportunity to really see the difference in armor between the men's and women's styles. Guys, this is so wrong on so many levels.

kneepads.jpg
    Profile view of the men's knee cup on the left, and women's knee cup on the right, matched at the top and sides.

Look at that glorious hunk of poly on the left! See that beefy knee cup! So much longer and thicker. Such a manly cup! It was not only 1 1/2" longer than the woman's but was twice as deep!

So all innuendo aside, guys, this is really important. Women deserve to be protected equally as much as guys. Whether we are riding solo or riding as a passenger, we hit the ground just as hard, will break just as easily, and bleed just as badly. This kind of fashion over function BS is stupid, downright dangerous, and should never be encouraged. If you ever buy gear for your girl, check the armor! And don't expect to be able to upgrade to good armor in the women's cut either - the holding pockets may be too small. I never would have understood the difference between the armor used in each if I hadn't had the chance to do a one-for-one comparison like this.

CONCLUSION
    So did I keep the pants? Yes - the men's pants. They have a ton of "The Good" points, put the knee armor in the right place, and fit fairly well.

Would i recommend them to others? Well, I haven't had an opportunity to ride in the summer yet, but, Yes - with a couple of caveats:
    • If you're a guy looking for some great summer mesh pants - Buy Rev'its Airwave 2 pants.
    • If you're a woman looking for some great summer mesh pants - Buy Rev'its MEN'S Airwave 2 pants.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Nice review. That will generate traffic..

Ken
    Great review and great comparison. Who would of ever suspected that? Great to know for our women.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Nice write up Luv!!

*** I'd like to add that this Gear and Product Review forum was LuvNot's idea.

I think this will work out well. Thank you LuvNot!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

It's getting a little better. 20 years ago there was all most nothing in ladies riding gear. Unless you count leather halter tops and short skirts for the biker crowd.

Not being a women but shopping for women's gear the only "better" part about looking for women's things seems to be more color choices. Not that they are good choices, but there are usually more of them.
    My first advice to my sig other was to look at men's gear first. The smaller cuts, even though more boxy than most women's cut clothing, are a little closer cut than than the XXXL's. Also I've noticed that most men's things are better armored. No idea why though.
    But you can definitely notice once it's on looking at her. Plus there are always more choices of men's riding protection. I'm lucky in that I live close to a big retailer with a large selection of men's and even women's clothes so I/we can try on many different things before we buy.
    littletommy and LuvNot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post

Second is the protection.
    This is the one that really killed me. Since I had both pairs of pants, I had the opportunity to really see the difference in armor between the men's and women's styles. Guys, this is so wrong on so many levels.

kneepads.jpg
    Profile view of the men's knee cup on the left, and women's knee cup on the right, matched at the top and sides.

Mrs. Admiral showed me this thread. We are quite surprised and disappointed in the lack of equal protection! Really go review! Thanks.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sponosred Links