††††
Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By LuvNot
  • 2 Post By scotti158
  • 2 Post By littletommy

Thread: Scorpion Covert - Great Around Town Lid

Scorpion Covert - Great Around Town Lid

Scorpion Covert Helmet

I've been looking at these light-muzzle-modular helmets for quite some time. I've tried the Bell and the Shark models and found them either extremely uncomfortable, or just too impractical for the cost. So when Scorpion offered their take on the idea with the Covert helmet, I figured I would give it a shot.

My head measures a tiny 21-1/4 inches, so I purchased the plain black XS.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:
    SHELL:
    The matt black finish and ďSĒ logo is very well done. The shell is smaller than I expected, which keeps me from looking like a bobble-head. Build quality for the helmet I received was excellent - no sharp edges, gaps or sloppy liner construction I've seen on other helmets. Overall, the shell looks better in person than on the photos!
    ScorpionCovert1.jpg

MUZZLE: As stated in the description, the muzzle is just a vinyl-style plastic cover - it will stop bugs and rocks, but provide nothing more than abrasion protection in a fall. Even knowing that, I think it's very well made. I really like the fact the muzzle is easy to remove while wearing the helmet and almost reattaches itself once the pegs are seated in the slots. Plugs are provided to fill the slots when riders want to leave the muzzle off, creating a very clean appearance.
    ScorpionCovert3.jpg

VISOR: The installed visor is the dark tinted style, but Scorpion supplies a clear version too. Swap-out is quick and easy with a simple sharp tug. What's really impressive about the visor is how well it seats into a groove in the muzzle for a neat fit. Field of vision is a little narrow top-to-bottom, but fine in all other respects.
    ScorpionCovert2.jpg

ERGONOMICS:

The GOOD

Aerodynamics: I ride without a windshield so get a great deal of wind buffeting on the road. Due to the muzzle design, I expected to feel and hear a great deal of wind turbulence during my ride, but Not So! I was pleasantly surprised by how well the wind flowed around the helmet and how much was blocked by the muzzle/visor combo. The chin area is open, so the expected amount of air comes in from that area, but this is true for any helmet.
    Comfort: The shape of the helmet is a round oval that fits pretty snug. The chinstrap is one of the first I've found on a half-helmet that is actually pointed in the right direction by facing towards the front of the throat instead of in the middle of the neck (I'm glaring at you, Bell).

The BAD
    Even with a chin strap that doesn't want to strangle me when I go faster than 35mph, the one thing helmet manufacturers need to start doing for any helmet with a full-face configuration is provide a ratchet-style buckle. Double-dee rings are old tech that is just flat dangerous in an emergency situation because of the difficulty getting the strap to release. Ratchet buckles can be operated one-handed with a glove, are easy for EMTs to release without disturbing a riderís head, and yet are extremely secure when they need to be. There is no reason not to use them.

The UGLY
    There is one major failing with this helmet that seriously made me think about sending it back, and made me hesitate to recommend it to anyone else. Simply stated, itís painful after more than a half hour. Why? Because there is no accommodation for a person's ears. I have relatively small ears, but even so they are either forced to fold down under the helmet padding, or are compressed between the foam and my head. Either configuration is extremely painful after more than a half hour. For someone who routinely take half-day tours on the bike, the Scorpion will be sheer torture. There really is no excuse for this oversight. Even regular half-helmets have space carved out of the foam for the rider's ears. I canít imagine how bad it will be for someone with large ears. Needless to say, forget about adding an intercom to this guy.

ScorpionCovert5.jpgScorpionCovert4.jpg

CONCLUSION:
    I really want to like this helmet. If you are a person who typically rides short distances around town, the Scorpion Covert helmet will probably work for you. Itís sleek, stylish, flexible and just all around a kickass looking piece of gear. However, all the style in the world means nothing if itís painful to wear. Iíve had this for a while now, and the padding has given way slightly to make it bearable. But honestly, unless I cut an ear-size shape out of the foam, the Scorpion Covert will never be comfortable enough to be more than a commuter ride or fashion statement.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Great write up! Thanks for taking the time to put it on the forum.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

I purchased a Scorpion like this one last year. I like it. Pretty quiet overall. I do like the visor. Seems to vent well also.

Superb write up Luv!!

1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Sponosred Links