Hunting gear?! - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Hunting gear?!

I don't have one, but I do love those trailers. Great rack on that trailer, Ronnydog!
    littletommy likes this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

I wear my hunting gear plus usually a heavy hat, gloves and an extra layer. Typically below freezing in the am when I leave base camp and bone chilling cold when returning after dark.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tweaker, Dryden-Tdub, Mel and 1 others like this.

I always wanted to know just how powerful the strike from a large Timber Rattler is and what his fangs could penetrate through. I suspect if hit right it would go right through a pair of dungarees but I doubt they would go through a high boot. Depends on where he hits you but some times I get into some very slow riding going over and around downed trees and twice I have disturbed these massive snakes but never did get struck. A guy riding his mountain bike not too far from here in shorts did get hit and it nearly cost him his leg below the knee and he will walk with a limp the rest of his life. The last I heard is he has over $80,000 in medical bills from that single bite that caught him right in the calf. One guy here killed a big one that was close to 6 feet and as thick as my forearm with fangs over an inch long and a mouth that opened wide enough to swallow my entire wrist. A couple spots I ride down by the river have good populations of rattlers and I never know where I might run across one.

GaryL
    Mel and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The Carhartt's are a must have. If you can splurge on it, a pair of those Duluth Fireshose pants are even better, but man they are pricey. I bought a pair for work as I'm in the sticker bushes a lot in the right- of-ways and they are just tough as nails. I doubt I buy another as the Carhartts are pretty much as good brand new and you can buy three of them for one pair of Duluth. I normally just wear my work boots when I go hunting or fishing - (Carolinas). I use my dual sports to get me to some good fishing holes as well as I like to fly fish. This was where my DRZ was just getting too hard to use and I needed a lil' mountain goat of a bike to get me to some of them without falling over at low speed so I bought a TW.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I always wanted to know just how powerful the strike from a large Timber Rattler is and what his fangs could penetrate through.
    You really need thick, hardened leather or better to stop it. Boots purposed for snake bites. They can puncture soft leather no problem. One of the guys I work with is always so worried about it he wears almost knee high lace up snake boots and it really has to be uncomfortable as they are stiff as heck.
    jtomelliott49 and Darth like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan75 View Post
    You really need thick, hardened leather or better to stop it. Boots purposed for snake bites. They can puncture soft leather no problem. One of the guys I work with is always so worried about it he wears almost knee high lace up snake boots and it really has to be uncomfortable as they are stiff as heck.
    I figured as much and this guy looks like he could go through 1/4" plate steel. He is about 5 1/2' long and as big around as my forearm with 13 rattles. You can't miss the noise he makes.

GaryL

rattler.JPG
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I appreciate this thread. I never think about snakes or other poisonus animals as the only hting we have here is the occasional recluse spider. Now that I am going to be doing some work in South Carolina I have be more alert to snakes and such.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

To be honest Plum I have never even seen Snake Chaps. If I go up to where the rattler dens are here I walk slow and real careful on every step. Most rattlers are not at all interested in wasting venom on things they can't eat and swallow so they USUALLY give fair warning to stay away. Other venomous snakes are not as kind so chaps might be a wise choice. I do know Moccasins can be pretty aggressive critters and some of the western rattlers might be as well. All we have here are Timber rattlers and Copperheads and both are nasty bites you never want to get. Not sure what they have in SC.

GaryL
    jtomelliott49 and MtnMan75 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    To be honest Plum I have never even seen Snake Chaps. If I go up to where the rattler dens are here I walk slow and real careful on every step. Most rattlers are not at all interested in wasting venom on things they can't eat and swallow so they USUALLY give fair warning to stay away. Other venomous snakes are not as kind so chaps might be a wise choice. I do know Moccasins can be pretty aggressive critters and some of the western rattlers might be as well. All we have here are Timber rattlers and Copperheads and both are nasty bites you never want to get. Not sure what they have in SC.

GaryL
    Even the non-venomous snakes will rattle their tail. I often wonder which came first in the evolution of things... the rattling of the tail in the brush, so the rattlesnake evolved their own noise maker, or the other snakes mimicking a rattlesnake to appear to be one? It's a thinker, I tell ya. Bad thing is sometimes they don't do anything and you get a surprise. Friend's wife was in her garden and got nailed on the forearm by a copperhead a couple months ago. She must not have got a good dose of venom as it healed with very little damage done. She was fortunate. I know some guys with little pits in the leg where muscle tissue used to be, although the worst of those was from a brown recluse spider bite on the one guy's heel. He'll probably double check every shoe including flip flops before he puts them on now.
    2013 TW200
    2013 DRZ400S
    1999 Bombardier 500 Traxter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponosred Links