Hunting gear?!
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Hunting gear?!

Hunting gear?!

Ok, so I know it is always best to wear full riding gear when trail riding which I usually do. But I bought my newest TW for hunting and target shooting. I know a lot of people on this forum also use the TW for hunting, so my question is what gear i.e..boots, pants do all the hunters use?
    I will be using my bike for low speed exploring for hunting locations & actual hunting. Wearing full motocross boots & pants will be very limiting especially since I like to coyote & rabbit hunting. So getting off the bike quickly and changing out to more comfortable boots & pants can be a little bit of a pain!
    Thanks in advance.

I use thick stiff Cabelas 600 gram boots laced tight and double knotted to limit laces getting grabbed. Not MX but way stiffer than most regualr boots. Usually wear heavy Carhart pants or coveralls. For hunting, I wear an open face ski/snowboard helmet, as I am genneraly going less than 15MPH and not interacting with other vehicles, just potentially branches or the ground. Not saying it is the safest set up, but balanced for safety and functionality for me, in that application.
    2002 TW200 "The Punisher"
    1998 DR350r
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattwings View Post
    I use thick stiff Cabelas 600 gram boots laced tight and double knotted to limit laces getting grabbed. Not MX but way stiffer than most regualr boots. Usually wear heavy Carhart pants or coveralls. For hunting, I wear an open face ski/snowboard helmet, as I am genneraly going less than 15MPH and not interacting with other vehicles, just potentially branches or the ground. Not saying it is the safest set up, but balanced for safety and functionality for me, in that application.
    Exactly the kind of responses I was hoping for! Thanks!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Riding apparel should be matched to the riding. Off road riding where the rider is approaching the limits of his ability or that of the motorcycle's requires full-on MX style gear. Putting though the woods with hunting or shooting gear isn't going to require that level of protection. However, I almost always wear my chest protector when riding any kind of off road.
    The bear slayer!

Quote Originally Posted by mykdee View Post
    Ok, so I know it is always best to wear full riding gear when trail riding which I usually do. But I bought my newest TW for hunting and target shooting. I know a lot of people on this forum also use the TW for hunting, so my question is what gear i.e..boots, pants do all the hunters use?
    I will be using my bike for low speed exploring for hunting locations & actual hunting. Wearing full motocross boots & pants will be very limiting especially since I like to coyote & rabbit hunting. So getting off the bike quickly and changing out to more comfortable boots & pants can be a little bit of a pain!
    Thanks in advance.
    I have offered these up before as a good option for hunters. Very good support AND protection and waterproof to boot. Not a lot of padding for the shins BUT very very good abrasion resistance and ankle support. Are they MX boots? No. They will however fit your hunting/riding needs nicely.

Irish Setter Men's Vaprtrek 17'' UltraDry Waterproof SnakeGuard Field Hunting Boots.

As for pants.....

REALTREE XTRA® CAMO DUNGAREE by Carhartt.

Not any real padding, but again, excellent abrasion resistance.

Tom
    Last edited by Dryden-Tdub; 11-19-2017 at 11:03 PM.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    I have offered these up before as a good option for hunters. Very good support AND protection and waterproof to boot. Not a lot of padding for the shins BUT very very good abrasion resistance and ankle support. Are they MX boots? No. They will however fit your hunting/riding needs nicely.

Irish Setter Men's Vaprtrek 17'' UltraDry Waterproof SnakeGuard Field Hunting Boots.

As for pants.....

REALTREE XTRA® CAMO DUNGAREE by Carhartt.

Not any real padding, but again, excellent abrasion resistance.

Tom
    Those boots look promising and not to bad of price either.

Same on the Carhartts can't beat them for abrasion..boots I wear are either a set of Merrell's with ankle support or my old prospector hunting boots something that fits under the shifter

Of course our hunting season needs a snow machine now.....

WHS
    I get the atgatt, but there is a limit in my opinion... I have putted around in hiking shoes, wranglers and a tshirt, and in fact run to the store many times just like that, simply because I use my TW for running around locally. So with that said, when I run around the mountains my standard dress used to be Carharts until I discovered Duluth Trading! Now I wear those, they stretch a little which is nice but the best thing is the crotch gusset! As for boots, I have a pair of Forma Adventure Low that are truly awesome and I highly recommend them. They are waterproof, comfortable, and are as nice to hike around in as my Keens, which is precisely why I got them. I have worn them many times traipsing around the mountains...

I have a pair of full height formas that i wear if im gonna minimally hike (they are really comfortable to wear and hike in), but if im gonna ride and put the miles on i wear a pair of meindls that are pretty stiff and protective (if not high). As for pants its either carrhart or a pair of sitka timberline pants that have padding in the knees. Occasionally put a pair of knee and shin guards on if its not too hot. Hope that helps.

I wear whatever I plan to go hunting in. usually a decent pair of boots and whatever clothes I have on. I would say that I am probably going to buy some shin guards after riding around this year as the sticks make me a little weary when they pop out and touch you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links