Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By like2wlz
  • 2 Post By Donzo
  • 2 Post By like2wlz
  • 1 Post By Ken

Thread: Harbor Freight Crossbar Dent Repair Kit

Harbor Freight Crossbar Dent Repair Kit

FWIW

My stock tank had a couple dents, one deep smooth one that was present when I bought the bike and one shallow smooth one from knocking it off of a stool in the garage. For fun I gave the HFT puller a try to see what it could do. It removed the small shallow dent to the point that I don't see it. The large deeper dent was greatly improved but still had rippling when I quit. It took multiple pulls and in several areas for the larger dent, only a few pulls to correct the smaller dent. I used all three of the included glue sticks, mostly because it keeps melting out of the gun tip in between uses, the large puller pad broke where the base of the pad attaches to the shaft (a screw), I'll probably JB weld it if I ever use it again. I used it directly over the tank decals where necessary - for the small dent it didn't damage the decal, in the larger dent area it pulled a patch off the decal after a few pulls in the same area with the smaller oval puller pad.

I used a similar kit - Pop a dent - I had a soft ball sized dent behind the rear drivers side tire - (someone got me in a parking lot) - It took 2 pulls one near the top of the dent and one near the bottom - it made a very satisfying sound when it popped out. Simple pleasures!

The metal on the TW tank didn't make any noise but the glue and the puller would eventually pop off of the tank with a loud startling noise. The dents in the tank would slowly pull out until the glue/puller popped off. I took over an hour with multiple pulls, it can take some time and patience. I was impressed with the results and that it worked at all.
    littletommy and Peterb like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by like2wlz View Post
    The metal on the TW tank didn't make any noise but the glue and the puller would eventually pop off of the tank with a loud startling noise. The dents in the tank would slowly pull out until the glue/puller popped off. I took over an hour with multiple pulls, it can take some time and patience. I was impressed with the results and that it worked at all.
    Pics of before & after?

Quote Originally Posted by mykdee View Post
    Pics of before & after?
    I didn't take any pictures, for some reason I can't get images to post normally on this site.

Ken
    I used the Pop a ding on my Radian tank. It worked great on the little ones. The bigger ones pulled the part you glue down apart. I went to the hardware store and bought a bolt with a flat back and used it. After much trial and error I finally figured for my big dent to pull from the outside edge going in a circle working in and it pulled the whole dent out. That dent pulled completely out and I painted right over it.
    littletommy likes this.
    1993 TW200 just shy of 46,000 miles

Sponosred Links