Cold weather Riding gear
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Cold weather Riding gear

With the colder weather beginging to show its face around here, I was wondering what type of gear you guys are using to keep you warm for winter commuting. My commut is a short 10 miles each way but a mornign ride at 28 degrees was a bit cold. I plan wear my carhardt insulated bibs under a recently purchased Tourmaster Elite jacket with some military mittens and ATV insulated hand guards I picked up from a garage sale for $8. My MX Helmet probably need to be replaced because my face freezes off (any suggestions) and how will I keep my toes warm for longer rides around town? I paln on riding unless ther is snow on the rode. Any and all opionions appreciated. Also I have been using some hunting raingear and it is not so good. Seems wind drivews the water right through the stuff. Any suggestions on rain gear? as you can read I am pretty cheap but dont really care about looks only function.

Man sorry for all the errors I will edit next time.....

In cooler weather, I also wear a balaclava mask under my helmet. One of the thin ones so my helmet will still fit, though snuggly. Just a thought.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you are going to ride in the cold, nothing beats heated gear. I made a diy ghetto looking electric shirt a few years ago with a simple on/off switch and it is fantastic. If you have the money to spend, warn-n-safe, gerbings, etc are other options. I'm new to the TW and don't know how much electrical doodads the bike can support, but a simple DIY electric vest or jacket liner will keep you toasty warm on a 10 mile commute in sub freezing temps. Also, a neck gaiter and a full face helmet is required. Full face helmets can be had for cheap or even free if you don't mind buying used and washing the liner. What size helmet do you normally wear?

Look on ADVrider for diy heated liners and or vests and you'll find a lot of info.

As far as rain gear, cheap frogg toggs are awesome.

BTW, check your PM.
    Fred likes this.

If you want relatively cheap rain gear, check out http://www.froggtoggs.com/. They have models designed for bikes and they are wind proof/waterproof so the air wont push the water through. I have the pants and they are pretty easy, large zipper cuff on the bottom lets you put them on over pants/boots
    -Szj

2001 TW

leather coat with the wrist cuffs strapped tight & has a collar that zips right up under my chin, light rubber rain coat over that. leather thinsulate gloves. rain pants with normal pants under them. I ride about 5 miles to work, never been too cold
    2012 TW200, 1993 KLR650, 1992 GSX750F

I wear some of my older snowboard gear. Really warm,breathable,not binding,and waterproof.
    Fred likes this.

Fishman, I think you have it covered, but I'd consider a good neck warmer (polarfleece or wool). 'Something that can be pulled up over your chin like a bank robber, or just bunched around your neck (its the ecotone between your helmet and your body that gets cold. I bought mine at REI. Tom
    stephenmarklay likes this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Thanks all, I will keep my eye out for a full faced helmet and pick up a neck gator. The rain gear may have to be the priority though after todays commute.

Hey bud heres some advice from the frozen north:

Head: Fleece balaclava and neck gaiter. I wear a regular moto-x helmet and have no problems staying warm down to -20.
    Body: Any windproof jacket with elastic cord closures for neck, wrists, waist. Layers of fleece, merino wool long underwear
    Legs: Goretex chest waders (cheap as 60 normally 90 dollars) (typically have neoprene feet)Fleece pants, merino long underwear.

Most of this stuff is carried by costco and sams club and is not the least bit expensive.

With this setup Ive been nuts deep in icewater and rode the rest of the day in -15 weather. Ended the day as warm as I started it. Also this gear is very useful for staying warm for lots of other activities, so its more worthwhile than it might initially seem. Money well spent. watch some of my videos and see this setup in action going through seat deep icewater.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links