Best GPS for on road/trails?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Best GPS for on road/trails?

Best GPS for on road/trails?

Looking for input on what GPS you guys think is the best for on and off road. Looking to do the Transmass trail this season, and trying to find a GPS that is easy to use and can run downloaded routes. Thank you!
    TC
    Peterb likes this.

RTG
    Good Question. I been thinking that myself, what GPS people are using?

I've been using my iPhone with MotionX-GPS it's been pretty awesome. You can leave pins and photos along the way, and load and map sys you'd like, I run google. You can draw a path on Google Earth, export it as a KML, then convert it to a GPX file, then you can run it with MotionX on your phone.

Free online converter:
    GPS Visualizer: Web interface to GPSBabel

Hope this helps, probably many options but this is the one I've used! :-)
    ejfranz likes this.
    "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a motorcycle"

I mounted a Tourtech for the Garmin Zumo from my R1200GS. I figured there would be times when I would have no Cell signal and I thought the topo maps could be helpful. However, on the street, the vibration proved to be too much for the Garmin. I have had to have the Garmin replaced twice, each time it failed it was mounted to the TW. I have a Ram Mount X Grip and I use my iPhone most of the time. I find the iPhone has a lot more to offer over the Garmin. See video below of the Tourtech mount.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Cost?
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Ive got a garmin zumo 595lm mounted to a touratech cradle on my africa twin. it has taken a good beating so far and seems to perform well. I was considering another cradle for the tw. Interesting you've had issues from vibration. worries me a little. To the OP I think these larger garmins are a good choice because they're easy to use and see while you're mobbing in the wild. Cost wise they're steep. I think the 595 and mount are 900 or so.........
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

I've been using View Ranger app on my android. The basic app is free and has a very good map selection.... downloadable, no cell service needed. The paid version has some more high definition maps, but isn't necessary. There are tracking features for motorcyle, 4x4, hiking, boating, etc. It will track speed and elevation against a map. I'm running it on a Samsung S7 and it works great.... very accurate and quick. I have a USB output setup on my bike.Screenshot_20180504-081421.png
    Last edited by Ullr; 05-04-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Garmin Montana 600t, +AMPS mount with OSM maps and then some added individual state maps with better definition of topo.

Maps free from gpsfiledepot.
    If a bike is plated, it's suppose to be ridden, not hauled on a trailer.
    2002 DR650SE, 2001 TW200

i have been using the garmin montana 650, but the TW rattled the guts out of it and was replaced with a new one. the new one is having issues also. when it packs it in, i will go the cell phone route. i not happy with garmin products. 2 gps and 3 cameras in 3 years.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    i have been using the garmin montana 650, but the TW rattled the guts out of it and was replaced with a new one. the new one is having issues also. when it packs it in, i will go the cell phone route. i not happy with garmin products. 2 gps and 3 cameras in 3 years.
    How do you have it mounted ?

I have had mine for 3 years, using it on the DR and it has been treated ruff.
    +30 K miles so far.
    If a bike is plated, it's suppose to be ridden, not hauled on a trailer.
    2002 DR650SE, 2001 TW200

On The TW and DT, I use a Garmin GPSmap 62s in a RAM mount and have had no issues other than I scratched the screen.
    I have a Garmin Zumo 395LM mounted on the VStrom and so far it is holding up.
    Cell phone is probably the way to go as you do not need cell service to us the map apps.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links