Anyone have experience with this carrier?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Anyone have experience with this carrier?

Anyone have experience with this carrier?

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum, and new to the TW200. I just picked up my first ever motorbike, a 2004 TW with just under 900 miles on it. The thing is beautiful and I can hardly wait to take it on some trails.

So I need a hitch mount carrier, and I am trying to get one that has a rear 2" receiver on it, so I can hook up my raft trailer and use the bike to run shuttles, or perhaps toss my mountain bike rack on. I'm not finding a lot of hitch mounted carriers that have a 2" receiver out the back. The VersaHauler looks nice, but it's spendy! I stumbled upon this one today and it seems to fit the bill, but thought I'd check to see if anyone here has seen or owned one of these? The reviews on the website are glowing, but I have to wonder if they are all legit. Hoping to find another review somewhere else, but haven't had luck. Thoughts?

https://wmastore.com/1000lb-Motorcyc...ts-AM1306D.htm

Excited to become part of this community!

Cheers.

Jon

Versahaul is legit. Spend the money, it's worth it.

Hi Jon, and welcome to the forum!

I do not have any personal experience with this hauler and am not familiar with it, but I am familiar with the VersaHaul carrier so here are my thoughts.

This carrier has some of the nice features of the VersaHaul and looks to be a well built unit. As such it will be very large and heavy and will be difficult and awkward to store and to get mounted on the tow vehicle. Due to the storage baskets, the rail that holds the bike will be quite a ways away from the receiver. This dramatically increases the load on the receiver/tow vehicle. This may or may not be an issue depending upon the capacity of your tow vehicle. I don't know if those baskets are readily removeable, but if you don't plan on using them, you could possibly shorten the carrier and move the bike closer to your vehicle.

I hope this helps,

Brian
    grewen and GaryL like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I looked the specs and pictures of the carrier over as well as possible, as it has my attention now also..
    That being said, does the rail look wide enough to handle the width of the back tire on a T-dub ?
    I'm not sure, but curious to know if you guys and gals think it's wide enough ?

excalibur
    2010 TW 200 Dual Sport
    2017 Harley Softail Slim w/110 Cubic Inch Screamin' Eagle engine
    2005 Yamaha 450 Kodiak 4x4 Quad

I can't reccomend this as I have no experience but something like this would solve your problem along with a more traditional hitch rack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Honda CB150
    Triumph Cub
    Honda 250
    Triumph Bonneville
    Current Bike: TW200 Named Sloth
    She’s slow and can climb a tree!

Thanks for all the thoughts. @Tjmay, I've considered one of those hitch splitters, but the added piece and connections concerned me, and I haven't found a definitive answer as to whether one of those pieces would work in this case.

Both vehicles I'll be using have class 3 hitches with 500lb tongue weights, so that isn't an issue with any of the racks considered.

I'm leaning towards the versahaul as it appears to be more of a known company with good reputation. The cargo baskets of the one I linked to was kind of a nice feature, but not totally necessary, and adds to the weight, bulk and length of the rack. One issue I have that I need to look at before I order is a slide-in camper I'm using on one of my vehicles. The camper is a little longer than the bed, so I'll need the rack to stick out far enough so the handlebars clear the back of the camper. I had that issue with a bicycle rack so I had to add a hitch extender, which was no big deal for a bicycle rack (and had a handy step on it), but not sure I want to use an extender on a heavier motorcycle rack.

Thanks again folks. I'll report back after I make a decision with my experience for future users.
    Purple likes this.

So here is my problem. The versahaul won’t work on my truck/camper setup as the handlebars of the TW will hit the camper. I currently use a hitch extender with step. One sticker on the extender says my towing capacity will be 50% with the extender, which is fine as my trailer is light. The more important criteria is tongue weight, which the other sticker says is now 400lbs. (My hitch alone is 500lbs). So with a roughly 300lb bike and probably 100lb carrier, I’m maxed out on tongue weight which means I can’t tow anything.

The original carrier I linked to would solve the handlebar - camper clearance issues without losing tongue weight capacity with an extender, and have a rear receiver to hitch my trailer to. My only concern is the unknown quality of this carrier.

Thoughts?

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carry the TW up front?

Thought about that but would rather not install a front receiver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know that Versahaul actually makes a carrier with "baskets" like the brand you were originally asking about? At least in the front/towards the tow vehicle. I know they do have one model that has a storage platform in the back but it's not baskets. Key is keeping the big weigh as close to the tow vehicle as possible.
    Seems more like your real issue is you have maxed-out towing capacity of your vehicle as you try to extend so it clears your trailer (door & step) but also haul something else in those baskets? I'm I getting this right?
    Versa make a two-bike version. That would certainly "extend" to clear your trailer and you probably wouldn't need to add a 3rd party extension either, the Versa itself is the extension. There are so many carrier companies out there copying or coming up with their own design it seems they put more effort into marketing and advertising than their product. The brand you were originally asking about actually does looks good but so far no one here can vouch for it and this TW crowd does use a bunch of different varieties of carriers. That should be somewhat of a tell. Most of all you want to make sure your load is safe for your vehicle and more so for those on the road behind you. Versahaul is Made in the USA and while not inexpensive is as far top-of-the-line you can get IMO. If I was only going to use it locally I would have purchased a lesser and certainly lighter carrier. But I take very long trips with it and it can pull my Kendon Trailer too. And I use it for other bikes besides the TW. Seeing as I tow with a Jeep Wrangler the spare tire at the rear of the vehicle was and is always something I have to deal with. I set the carrier itself pretty far back to clear it. But I can't open my rear door with a bike on it. Just something you/I have to deal with. Made the purchase and really don't have to think or wonder about it anymore.

Mine, the standard 500lb. carrier
    IMG_5367.jpg
    Mine
    IMG_5372.JPG

Mine with a hitch ball for my trailer.
    IMG_5630.jpg

While up at Dirt Daze during Americade last month I switched my trailer to a buddy that had two (2) bikes to bring home. So I used his Versahaul "Sport" or 600lb. model. Pretty much the same as mine but the ramp and carrier was a lot wider. Frigg'in heavy too but as solid as if not more so than the frame on my Jeep.
    IMG_6210.JPG

IMG_6203.JPG
    Dryden-Tdub and NVcowboy like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links