Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By TWBigBlake
  • 1 Post By FIRE UP
  • 1 Post By Michael Bryce Winnick
  • 2 Post By Trail Woman
  • 2 Post By TWBigBlake

Thread: Tool Tube Alternative

Tool Tube Alternative

I bought some Chase Harper barrel bags, they have a rigid piece of pvc in the bag to maintain its shape. Trying them out to see how they fare. They have straps which are a nice alternative to the giant hose clamps used to attach tool tubes. Run $18 a piece. Lots of room for tool rolls, a couple shirts, a rain liner, etc.

4BC145F6-5C9C-4612-9CD2-9C4D8B2F3E1E_1573435507259.jpeg

A31E313F-5DB3-402E-AD89-CCB1C911F142_1573435519143.jpeg

C9E7F2AD-AE3F-4629-A5AE-E50867813544_1573435620875.jpeg

Well,
    From the point of view of the pics, they sure look like they could help in carrying equipment. But, and this is purely conjecture (not sure that's the right word), I know you're trying them out but, speaking from experience of years and years of watching tool mountings fail/break over the years on fire trucks due to poor roads etc. I'm wondering what kind of endurance the mounting of those tubes will take, based on any moderate to severe rough roads and off roading, over a given amount of time. Believe me, there's not much "carrying" capabilities on the T-dub for sure. Anyone coming up with new ideas is surely appreciated.
    Scott
    TWBigBlake likes this.
    Retired SDFD, 30 years,
    2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD CAT C-7 330HP
    2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing Caliente red
    2007 TW 200 "Blue Noid"
    2115 Jeep JKUR Rubicon
    2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4
    HAM, KI6OND
    Me, the wife and our killer Mini Schnauzer, "Sophie"

You definitely make a point, the straps are slick nylon and I basically had to tie a knot and rethread them through the buckle to make myself satisfied they aren't going anywhere. Might take them to a sewing/alterations shop and see if I can get some heavy duty Velcro straps sewn onto the barrel bags to secure them, maybe double up with Velcro and a buckle. For right now they are ok and didn't loosen up on my hour long ride yesterday... so we shall see. I suspect that a better mounting solution will be needed.

They do have some nylon loops at both ends of the bag... maybe throw something on those to mount them up...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    They look a bit like rocket boosters. Everything we do is functional until it breaks or catches fire...as I learned with my first set of saddle bags. Just go with this until/unless something bad happens. My tool tube is indestructible. It holds my JIS screwdrivers and Charleston Chews. I'm good.
    TWBigBlake likes this.

I think it's a ideal solution in not so ideal location. They're the first thing to hit in a fall. Maybe under/over the rack would be better.

I've dropped my ABS piping tube several times. I could lift my bike by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    I think it's a ideal solution in not so ideal location. They're the first thing to hit in a fall. Maybe under/over the rack would be better.

I've dropped my ABS piping tube several times. I could lift my bike by it.
    Agreed, I'm not 100% feeling great about where they are mounted, initially I was just worried about feeling good about them feeling secure... I think I'll try to swueeze them in up top, see if there's a way to lash them to the rack or to the main bag... gonna have to get creative.
    Trail Woman and JagLite like this.

I've had them on the handle bars of my TW and the rear rack of my Multistrada for a little over a year. I use them for carrying phone, wallet, etc. A quality product made in U.S.A.(if that matters to you).

TW with Camp Gear 2-2.jpg
    2017 TW200, 2012 Ducati Multistrada, 2006 Polaris Hawkeye

Sponosred Links