TW200 - so how do they do in deep snow?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: TW200 - so how do they do in deep snow?

TW200 - so how do they do in deep snow?

Hi, new member here and thinking of getting a TW200 for packing down the singletrack trails we ride fatbikes on. If you're not familiar with a fatbike, look up a Surly Pugsley on the web. It's basically the TW version of a mountain bike. I already own a TTR230 that is reg'd for the street, but the tires are not the most aggressive, and I know it won't do well in the snow. I wanted to know if anyone has experience riding a TW in 6+ inches of snow. Ideally, a BW200 would probably be better suited for what I'm trying to do, but they are hard to find, and you can't ride them on the street, legally anyway.

Let me know what you think, and thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by 69tr6r View Post
    Hi, new member here and thinking of getting a TW200 for packing down the singletrack trails we ride fatbikes on. If you're not familiar with a fatbike, look up a Surly Pugsley on the web. It's basically the TW version of a mountain bike. I already own a TTR230 that is reg'd for the street, but the tires are not the most aggressive, and I know it won't do well in the snow. I wanted to know if anyone has experience riding a TW in 6+ inches of snow. Ideally, a BW200 would probably be better suited for what I'm trying to do, but they are hard to find, and you can't ride them on the street, legally anyway.

Let me know what you think, and thanks in advance!
    Everything you know about riding in snow with a fat bike is relevant to riding a TW in the snow but with about 3X the weight. The tires on the TW are not wide enough nor aggressive enough to be really effective on soft trails.
    A BW would be better and a Rokon the best single track vehicle for the purpose.
    If the trails are well packed then a TW will have less impact than a dirt bike but its not going to float like a Moonlander. More like a 29+.

Craig

TW does ok is with little snow, but pushes around in deep snow. Chains help, but front still pushes.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I can tell you mine with the stock rear got promptly stuck when i rode it in about a foot of snow, that's with a brand new rear tire. It just had no bite. On packed snow its ok but really doesn't have a lot of grip. The one i have the duro mounted on it is unstoppable in the snow from a traction standpoint. The Duro has the traction to dig right in and go but the 5.10" shinko i have mounted up front is just too wide and it floats and pushes all over the place. That wide front tire makes it pretty hard to ride in the snow.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Just got back from riding sierra nevadas with Fred, Adam, and Phil. We ran into some snow and played around in it. We didn't get stuck but ask Fred how his did trying to go up that snowy hill....LOL.
    Adam-n-nevada and ejfranz like this.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Mine does ok in a straight line and on flat ground.

snow.jpg
    admiral likes this.

I had a bunch of fun the first winter I had my TW, back in 08'. I found, much like Admiral, that my truck cables worked awesome! Although, a situation that would need chaining or cables would leave the path or track quite chomped up, rendering usage for bicycles not-so-packed.

great ride, Evan
    evan and admiral like this.

Straight-across chains don't work well for steering. I've used the cable type in a V pattern with good results as the angle seems to help with the pushing. Cutting the Vs off one chain and adding them to the second made a big difference, too. Couldn't get the cables to stay atop the knobs with the stock front tire, but they worked well on a TW203. I also doubled the cross chains on the rear set and that made a lot of difference.

Devils Advocate likes this.

So 69Tr6r I guess the answer is TW not very good for packing down snow for bike trails. You would want big no-lug ballon tires to keep from ripping up surface and progressively pack down trail. Depending on snow density, moisture content and temp I would first try snowshoes to prep the trails with contact pressures of only 4 psi or so, then move up compaction pressure with narrow ,short skiis, then stomped boots etc untill you get compaction at a greater psi than you are. running in fat tires. Otherwise bike tires will cut through and you will bog down.
    My TW has wide atv tire does ok in light powder and mild crusty snow but leaves a mess behind not suitable for bicycle. Any slope or ice will really reduce TW's ability to get around.
    Evan and Adam-in-Nevada can attest to how poorly I do on inclined icefields. So slick I couldn't stand, steer or motor off of ice sheet,; but this is off-topic.
    admiral and evan like this.

Does Okay but really more rider dependent than bike dependent.
    With practice you get better.
    Simba

rurlndum and admiral like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links