New tdub owner! Need some tips
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: New tdub owner! Need some tips

New tdub owner! Need some tips

Hey guys! New tw owner this week Friday.

Buying my uncles that has 9k miles on it and it's a 92. Just looking for some quick tips on what to do/keep my eye on.

The tw hasn't been run a heck of a lot in the last 5-6 years since it sits at the cabin in upper Michigan.

I am planning on doing the supermoto plastic conversion from pro cycle. Anything else I should do??

Mainly going to be a city bike 25-35 mostly. Maybe a few times on the highway 65-70. Is the stock gears a pretty good set ratio?

Also going to get a pipe for it. Pretty sure on getting the fmf. The big gun or the dg any good? And can't be loud either bc cops hate that crap in my town but at the same time Harley's can rattle houses and get away with it, w/e haha.

Just lookin for quick tips!

Thanks,
    Mike
    92 tdub 9k miles. Pro taper Atv hi bars with pro taper waffle grips, iridium plug with hi-flo air and oil filter. Runnin ams oil with modified stock exhaust

rbm
    Hello and welcome!

Keep the stock exhaust, anything else will draw unwanted atention and not add any performance. Great for a city bike, I don't know about 70 though, maybe 65 for a bit.

The fmf sounds good and I know they don't add any power on these but we will see when I get it Friday what it sounds like. Yea I can get to the next highway goin 60 on the country hwy if need be. Also forgot to add what is the best to use for oil and filters too. I'm trying to save myself some time in searching all over for what people use in this post
    92 tdub 9k miles. Pro taper Atv hi bars with pro taper waffle grips, iridium plug with hi-flo air and oil filter. Runnin ams oil with modified stock exhaust

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yes. Use oil. And filters.

Any oil specified for 4-stroke motorcycles with wet clutches will do. Some diesel oils still will work, some won't, and you're on your own with that. Someone will pipe up "Rotella!" and some Rotellas work, some don't. Up to you to figure out which is which. There are only 12 or so, so it's really not that big a hassle.

As for filters, Yamaha replacements are paper elements, OEM was steel mesh. Lots of aftermarkets available, both paper and mesh types. Any will work, just make sure there are 4 holes in one end, not 2.

If you want a louder exhaust drill the stocker. Cheaper and makes better powerband than any of the aftermarket systems if you jet the carb to match.

Stock 14-50 sprockets make maximum advantage of the engine's limited capabilities. Redline is 82mph but the engine won't go that fast except off a cliff and no sprocket change will make it do so. Some people like a taller ratio to reduce vibration, but the engine can't pull it, fuel efficiency and performance suffer, and the clutch fails sooner.

williamemack likes this.

Ok. Good thing I still have a case of oil for my ltz400. That oil will work for it, just gotta get some filters. Exhaust will prob be on the backburner for now unless if I find a used one. And yea was at most thinking of dropping one tooth on the front sprocket since it'll be 98% city and only highway would be 60.

Welcome. First you want to get bike running well before any major mods such as an aftermarket pipe. An older bike that has not been regularly ran and maintained often will run much better with a clean carburetor and fresh fuel. Using search engine here for "Seafoam" or Lucas Deep Cleaner" will bring up many testimonials for curative powers of these carb cleaning solvents. A fresh new spark plug is a good idea too. Save your money for important safety stuff. Old tires are stiff with poor grip, how old are uncle's? Once she's going gotta make sure she's stopping too. Better to spend time cleaning ,and adjusting brakes than chasing a jetting problem caused by an aftermarket pipe.
    I think you will enjoy your new bike a lot . I got comfortable with mine for a bit before deciding what my and TW's strengths were and what I wanted changed.
    P.S. I ultimately decided I really liked quite exhaust note of stock exhaust when riding mellow so as not to annoy neighbors, but gets satisfyingly louder when on the gas. Better than barking all the time at all speeds. Plus you can chat from bike to bike without shouting.
    Last edited by Fred; 03-26-2014 at 12:09 AM.

No sense gearing down--the TW trans has wide ratios compared to other bikes and 1st is a crawler gear. The stock 14-50 is the best all-around for most folks. It's one thing Yamaha got right.

Best bang for the buck is to jet the carb properly, which provides a satisfying boost in throttle response, cold weather starting, and slow cruising smoothness. Second best bang for the buck is a cam and springs as valve timing is the biggest factor limiting engine output, but you'll probably kill your ease of low-speed cruise. A bigger carb will then make a difference. The stock exhaust will easily handle such bolt-ons.

Next upgrade I would do is a new set of sprockets, o-ring chain, gasket, and all three seals. It's such a pain to change a countershaft sprocket you won't want to do it very often, so go ahead and do it all with an o-ring chain that will last 4-5 times as long as a stock chain. The Yamaha sprockets are good quality, and PBI and JT are good aftermarket choices. Rocky also makes a quality countershaft sprocket, but the bolt holes are bigger and you have to drill the retainer. Unlike other bikes, the TW has an oddball countershaft sprocket that fits practically nothing else so they are sometimes hard to find. The benefit of the o-ring chain is not just extended life, but the elimination of 95% of chain maintenance.

I've found the stock bars quite adequate for street riding, but if you plan to do any offroading a 2-inch higher bar will afford better control. Many brands of aluminum "ATV bars" with the same bend as stock other than height available. Any higher than 2 inches and you'll need new cables. Advantages are better control offroad and less vibration. I had drag bars on my pirate TW, which were great on the highway but tough on the wrists around town.

A good set of gel grips will help with vibration and improve grip. Might as well throw some brush guards on, too.

Since you are looking at street use only, the TW203 and TW204 tires would be my choice. They will look better with your supermoto theme and provide excellent traction on the street.

R100RT likes this.

Yea my plan was to order a whole chain and sprocket set right away, clean and lube up the brakes, drain the gas and fill her up with 91 ethanol free gas with a little bit of seafoam. I know it used to have knobby tires on it and yea if they are hard and dried up I'm put some street ones on. Yea eventually I should take her to get times and shimmed after a while too. If she runs for some reason she's goin for a ride Sunday bc it's supposed to be 50+ here finally

I can't recite the exact front and rear sprocket ratios but it is much easier to switch the rear than the front. I think going up to 15 in the front is close to going down to 47 on the rear. The stock 14t front with a 47t rear seems a little better for road work at the expense of low end grunt off road. Easy enough to return to the 50t rear if not happy.

GaryL
    Fred likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Yes. Use oil. And filters.

Stock 14-50 sprockets make maximum advantage of the engine's limited capabilities. Redline is 82mph but the engine won't go that fast except off a cliff and no sprocket change will make it do so. Some people like a taller ratio to reduce vibration, but the engine can't pull it, fuel efficiency and performance suffer, and the clutch fails sooner.
    Totally agree, tried 14/47 and the cons outweighed the pros IMO.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links