Newbie Advice: A few thoughts
Close

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Polarpilot
  • 4 Post By littletommy
  • 1 Post By PalmStateCrawler

Thread: Newbie Advice: A few thoughts

Newbie Advice: A few thoughts

It seems to me that we see a lot of repeated questions some of which are enormously redundant others of which simply are unanswerable.

1. Oil: You better have about a liter or a US quart. The manual suggests the weights. All sorts of shops sell oils for motorcycles. Questions about frequency of changes are best summed up as frequently - if you like to pull wrenches frequently if it is a nuisance less frequently. Oil is cheap and your engines best friend - make sure you have some and change it.

2. Oil filters: You better have a couple on hand. Again cheap and readily changed. I always change filters with every oil change. Only one hiccup with them - make sure they have four return slots on the engine side not just two. A filter with two will turn your engine into an expensive bookend rather quickly.

3. Sprockets. Yamaha engineers spent considerable amounts of mathematics and measurement time coming up with the stock ratios. They are the best for 99% of riders. No one can tell you what is best for you except you.

4. Farkles: Yes you can double the cost of your new or new to you TW. You can customize, change, add, subtract to your hearts content. But please ride your bike three or four thousand miles before you start redesigning it. Again those engineers knew what they were doing. The engine puts out 14 horsepower - you are not going to get 250 out of it so until you thoroughly know the bike and understand what you are trying to accomplish be cautious about laying down long green.

5 Fun:Best advice of all is simply RIDE it. Often, in all weather in all sorts of places. Build your book of stories about riding your steed. At the end of the day swinging onto an old well known friend is what riding is about. Enjoy
    Fred, R100RT, goldenhtr and 1 others like this.

Hey Polar I am getting ready to order a box of spark plugs and a handful of Oil filters for my new TW....yea, I know it only has 4.4 miles on it...but I want a supply on hand in my garage....and I am assuming the recommended K&N Oil Filter part #1093760018 come with the 4 return slots/engine side? I don't want to order $50 worth of filters and spark plugs that aren't the correct ones...

#6.

Post up your adventures!
    naluboy, Hoot Gibson, Fred and 1 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

To each their own ,but I'd stay with OEM oil filters .

Don't order filters. You don't need them. The one the bike comes with is mesh and is easily cleaned and reused for a long time. Save your $50 and go buy 2 plugs and a spare filter for $10 and sit them on a shelf just in case.
    Last edited by PalmStateCrawler; 03-26-2014 at 09:31 PM.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Great advice Polarpilot, I do have a couple of comments about #4 though.

Depending on where/how you ride, some "accessories" can really be necessities. An upgraded skid plate that offers real protection and wraparound handguards can mean the difference between a pleasant country ride or a hellish hike out plus a recovery mission. These don't have to be too costly either.

There is respectable debate about whether it makes sense to upgrade the front tire or chain before the stocker gets worn out, but riding in the rough stuff to find the limits of the factory skid could easily prove more costly than just installing a good one before hitting the trails.

For most stuff though, I agree 100% on this. I put on quite a few miles of commuting and easy fire roads myself before screwing my bike up as bad as it is now!
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Palm State, what's best to clean the filter without harming it?

I just wash it with soap and water and then spray it out with wd40. You can use whatever is at your disposal. Carb cleaner, brake cleaner, compressed air, whatever works for you. It's just a steel mesh screen.
    naluboy likes this.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStateCrawler View Post
    Don't order filters. You don't need them. The one the bike comes with is mesh and is easily cleaned and reused for a long time. Save your $50 and go buy 2 plugs and a spare filter for $10 and sit them on a shelf just in case.
    When I had my new 2008 art the time it never had a metal mesh oil filter. Wonder what my 2014 will have straight from dealership. .

Sponosred Links