Planning a trip
Close

Thread: Planning a trip

Planning a trip

Hey all. I've been trolling the forum for the past couple months. Just bought a 2013 T-dub and am loving the experience. Planning a trip with my wife from where we live in Hampton Roads, VA to Gatlinburg, TN. We are going to take the northern route towards Blacksburg/Roanoke on the way out and hit skyline drive into the Smokies. On the way back we are looking at taking a southern route through NC, hitting Asheville and Charlotte.
    I'm hoping there are some members here who have ridden these areas that can offer some advice. I'm going to stay off the highway and meander quite a bit. We'll be taking about 8 days or so for the whole trip. I'm hoping to find some off highway areas to ride. Some easy dirt trails, maybe some views. A watering hole perhaps. Anyone have any experience around those parts?

Gear wise, I bought a cycleracks' rear rack and bolted a 1450 pelican to it along with three of the infamous tubes for extra fuel. I was thinking of buying the Wolfman E-12's as well. Anyone running the combination of a cyclerack and E-12?

Planning on toying with the bike over the next few days. Will post some pics. Thanks in advance.

Can't help you with that part of the country zak, but, congrats on your aquisition of this awesome bike and welcome and safe journeys

hi zak,

last summer my dad and i did 2000 miles, down the west coast. i rode my tdub and my dad on his kl250, both of us used wolfman bags on cycleracks. tinman tim can hook you up with some good pannier mounts. below is my ride report and you can see the loaded down bikes. if you can get by with just the two bags and a 1450... you pack lighter than we did.

BC to BC

have a great trip.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Awesome trip report. Looks like it was an epic adventure. The bikes looked awesome.
    I'm borrowing an NC700 from a friend for my wife to ride. That will likely be loaded down with more of the gear since it has loads of storage.
    I looked at the evolution of your bike. Great job. I may look into the xt225 tank.

thinking about visiting here….

compression falls or twisted falls.

two words: Dolly World!
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Luggage in the mountains takes the fun out of it. I'd trailer to the mountains and ride light.

Skyline Dr. is a little over 100 miles, and and has a 35mph speed limit. Expect 3.5 hours ride time, not counting stops. Blue Ridge Parkway is about 470 miles with a 45mph speed limit. Expect 11.5 hours ride time. Add in stopping for pictures, fuel, food, potty, chat, etc.

I'd park near the north end of Skyline and ride south to Cherokee, down to Robbinsville, Tail of the Dragon, return to Robbinsville via Cherohala Skyway (215 mile loop, 6 hours ride time), then back north.

That's a total of 36 hours of actual riding, just in the mountains. If you need more, just ask.

Forget all those expensive fuel bottles--get yourself a gallon of Coleman fuel, dump it in your cage before filling up, and keep the can for fuel. Seals tight and carries enough to be useful. Best portable fuel solution for the buck I've ever found.

Awesome!! Thanks. Sounds like you've been on those roads more than once. Hope I'm not biting off more than my wife's hind parts can handle. Planning on working in some good stops. No camping so the luggage should be light. Gonna be doing some couch surfing and hitting up some lodging.
    What do you think of those big red square fuel cans I see people bolting on the rear. I was leaning towards the bottles because they look more streamline and less wind resistance. Plus I have a crap ton of them laying around from years of backpacking and such.

Know of any light OHV near Tail of the Dragon or that area?
    2013 T-dubbin…..livin the dream.

Sponosred Links