Soon to be new TW200 owner
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Soon to be new TW200 owner

Soon to be new TW200 owner

I happened across this fresh trade in at work the other day and snatched it up right away. Just waiting for our tax returns to hit the bank so I can finish the paperwork up and ride it home. Introducing my soon to be new-to-me 1999 Yamaha TW200.....

1999 Yamaha TW200_001.jpg

I can't believe it's 15 yrs old. It looks almost brand new other than a little wear on the tires. It's even got the kick start kit along with the stock electric starter.

I've owned street bikes for years but this will be my first off-road bike so I wanted something light and 4-stroke to get my feet wet in the world of trail riding. I also love the fact that it's street legal so I can ride it over to my buddies place for our weekly neighborhood bike night and not have to worry about getting my 700 lb Honda ST1100 sport tourer home after a long night of wrenching and beers.
    tcepilot likes this.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the TW!

It looks like a nice one.

Brian

Congrats!
    Warning: since you have the big ST you'll occasionally find yourself cracking up in your helmet while riding the TW.
    Have fun.
    -Bill

Kawi ZRX1200
    Yamaha TW Two Hundirt

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

For a bigger bike, it is great in the trails! But I HIGHLY recommend getting a new front tire unless you want to wash out every turn onto your face. The Kenda K270 works great for me Have fun and prepare to find yourself looking at mods!
    Fred likes this.
    -tcepilot Hidden Content
    --- Psalm 23 Verses 4-5 ----

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil,
    for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed
    my head with oil; My cup overflows. (New American Standard Bible)

That's a nice find...congrats...she looks real clean...welcome and don't be shy with posting some pics

rbm
    Congrats!

The kick start is not a kit, all TWs from 87-2000 came with both kick and electric start. In 2001 they swapped out the kick for the disc brake in the front.

You did not say the miles on it so hard to tell what it could need or what should be done if not done already. Chain, sprockets, tires, Valve adjust and such.

More info once you get it home and give it the 100 point inspection will guide us much better. Look inside the tank for rust! Change oil immediately! Check chain and sprockets. Lots of little things might need some attention before you put it in daily service and make it your dependable bike.

Congrats, looks like a nice bike.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

It has 4952 miles on it. I bought it from one of the guys at the motorcycle dealership I work at. He bought it last year, barely rode it and decided he wanted something bigger this year. It had a full service done on it last fall before he put it away for the winter and the only miles since were put on it by me riding it back to the shop. I scored it for $1400.

If you are not a wrencher yourself then you are fortunate to work at a shop where more qualified eyes than us from behind our keyboards can guide you. I would simply ask a trusted mechanic co-worker to do a complete and thorough inspection and advise you of his findings. A well maintained TW has a long life span.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I've been wrenching on my own bikes for 7 years now. In fact the TW is by far the newest bike I've owned. I currently have a 1974 Honda XL175 torn down on my work bench fixing a stuck wrist pin on the piston. If and when I run into trouble with any of my projects I have several highly trained mechanics with decades of experience at work to draw knowledge from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links