New member about to buy a brand new 2013 bike
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: New member about to buy a brand new 2013 bike

New member about to buy a brand new 2013 bike

Hi everyone im about to buy a brand new 2013 later this month and im pretty excited about it. I know most people say riding a tw200 is the equivalent of riding a turtle but I currently ride a 2005 yamaha zuma 50 two stroke so going to a 200 and having never rode anything larger than a 50 I think that the tw200 will keep me happy for years. I had a few questions for you guys. I know the tw comes pretty lean from the factory and as soon as I get it I will probably change out the exhaust re-jet the carb, put a k&nfilter in and put tires better suited for the street on it. I was wondering if anyone knew the stock jet size that the tw comes with out of the factory and what size jet I should go with with the aftermarket exhaust and k&n filter on it. thanks in advance guys look forward to talking to you all in the future.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Just leave it alone until you get some miles and experience on it.
    Hoot Gibson, Polarpilot and Dubzha like this.

welcom to the tw forum,nice to see a young feller interested in a tw instead of a kroch rocket .

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Hello and welcome! Let the warranty expire before you start modding, and then don't change the exhaust, no need to.
    Polarpilot and Dubzha like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rurlndum View Post
    I'll leave it alone... for probably a month or two max then I start the tinkering. One of the main reasons I want a tw as opposed to a 600 rocket is that these bikes seem very easy to work on plus lots of different aftermarket parts available for the tw. I put in a 17mm carb in the zuma with a technigas exhaust on it and it pulls 43mph no problem. plus I like the idea of being able to go anywhere even though I will be riding about 80% street 20% off-road. I think it should make a great commuter bike for going to work and such. plus the insurance should be easy on the wallet.

The exhaust won't do much but make it louder, the K&N won't do much but make your wallet lighter, re-jetting may make it run a little better at the expense of gas mileage. The stock tires aren't the greatest on pavement but useable. Try it stock for awhile.
    littletommy, Polarpilot and Dubzha like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    The exhaust won't do much but make it louder, the K&N won't do much but make your wallet lighter, re-jetting may make it run a little better at the expense of gas mileage. The stock tires aren't the greatest on pavement but useable. Try it stock for awhile.
    I would have thought the opposite. On the zuma once I put on the new exhaust i would open it up wot and it would accelerate up to 32 steady then it would take off up to 42 really really quick. On different threads people say that once they changed out the main jet the throttle response improved significantly. Once I get my tw in 2 or 3 weeks I will keep it stock for awhile like you say.
    Dubzha likes this.

1st mod; CycleRacks rear rack and some straps. Turns it into a TWuck. I use my rack a ton.

I use my rack a ton. I have carried 4 dining chairs on it. +1 on ride it stock for a while.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Stock main is 125. If you live close to sea level like I do, a 130 main is best. If you live >1500' asl you can go with 1 size bigger than stock or stick with the stock jet. Shim the needle as you see fit. You should also just buy an o - ring chain and put it on there day one. That is really all you need to do. Handguards, better front tire, cyclerack and jimbo shield usually come next. Seat, higher bars or risers, and wider pegs fit in there somewhere as well. This is the typical progression but it varies by the owner. For riding offroad the best mod you can do is switch that front tire for a goldenboy or a kenda 270. Coming from a scooter you will enjoy the power of the tw200 but compared to just about any other bike it is underpowered. It is perfect for exploring and if that is what you want to do you will be happy. Keep that in mind when you are buying.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

+1

Yep, not sure why you would want to do all of that, right off the bat....maybe a X or O chain....but "street tires"....It's your ride, but I'm thinking, get it home, step back and take a deep breath, ride it{which considering where you live} may be awhile...then decide what it needs and what you want....Meanwhile Have Fun and Welcomd to our Little Club
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 03-27-2014 at 07:40 PM.
    Polarpilot and Dubzha like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links