2004 engine sounds like it's going to blow apart
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 2004 engine sounds like it's going to blow apart

2004 engine sounds like it's going to blow apart

Hi guys
    This is my first post I just bought a2004 tw200 with 32000 miles on it .it doesn't burn any oil and runs pretty good ,but it sounds like it's going to blow up the engine makes a lot of engine noise starts good everything seems tight but it is the noises engine I've ever heard
    I know that 32,000 miles is a lot for such a small displacement bike but it sure does rattle a lot is this normal for this little guy thanks monztur

They are noisy if you have not road one before

Ronnydog

You might check the valve adjustment and the timing chain adjustment.
    williamemack and frog13 like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    You might check the valve adjustment and the timing chain adjustment.
    Do this ^ and also, go watch (listen) some youtube videos of the TW to compare the sound to yours.
    littletommy likes this.

I have mentioned this before. Take a long screwdriver and put the point against the engine in the top end and the bottom crankcase and put your ear to the handle. You will be able to tell if things are not right by what it sounds like in different areas.

My '95 TW seems to have a lot of upper end noise, also. It has 3400 miles. The '98 has 6050 miles and its upper end is MUCH more quiet. The '95 gets quieter as it warms up but it never gets as "good" as the '98.

Valves are set correctly. Cam chain tensioner is set. Humm . . . I am going to inspect the cam chain, again. However, I don't expect to find anything wrong. The "long screwdriver-to-the-ear" indicates it is chain noise. Could the Chain Guides be at fault? I just rebuilt the engine and was very careful to get them back in correctly, I think. Maybe I didn't get the tensioner in contact with the guide properly. ? ? ?

They both run just fine, idle to sustained WOT. No smoke.

My 04 was making what I considered to be an abnormal racket (and excessive vibration) when I first got it- with 6200 city miles. Ran it by a shop "Does this sound right to you?" Oh, sure they all sound like that". I couldn't believe it was normal. Finally found the culprit. One of the valve adjusters had gotten way out of spec at some point- and had hammered on the valve stem until both stem and adjuster screw were peened over. The stem was right down against the keeper collets, so mushroomed over I had to grind it down before it would come out thru the guide. First clues were that it was difficult to adjust to spec- and would not stay correct. Of course the head had to come off to replace the valve.

That engine is still together and runs fine, (sitting in storage after building out the 230 six speed) but I'll bet everything in it is pretty sloppy. At 32K miles, you're certainly hearing piston slap, extra valve noise, and the bottom bearings have some slack in them too. Get a very close look at the ends of your valve stems. Check everything you can check, not a terrible idea to take off the 2 side covers for a peek. Mechanics stethoscope (screwdriver) is considerable help locating the source of the noise.
    2004 T-dub, 15/50-68 dual sprocket, modded carb, kickstart, weldment footpegs, EK o-ring chain, Shinko 241 front tire, Duro PG rear, Ride-on seal/balance f&r, Pro Taper bars w/ PG grips, folding mirrors, XT350 tank, f&r Cycleracks, Saddlemens gel seat insert, VisionX LED driving lights, TCI pan/guards, 230cc six speed engine/trans, Jimbo Shield (smoke); ongoing monkeyshinin'

I have 26k on mine and it's a 125, my valves got real noisy recently and after id adjusted them I had lots more power and the engine was queter!
    My manual mentions nothing about a cam chain tensioner so not sure if I have one.
    High miles are no issue with proper maintance but normal ware comes with milage.... I plan on supplying mine with the best upkeep possible until it blows itself to bits and I'll rebuild it
    View my build/off road riding here with lots of pics and vids Hidden Content

Uk TW/ Suzuki LTZ250 off road rider only

Flat out or back out.

A couple members here have found loose or missing engine mounting bolts, and other hardware.

Grab a torque wrench and go over the bike once.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Skippy, as hard as you drive that puppy, it's a miracle it hasn't already blown itself to bits!!
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links