Starting another bike hauling thread.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Starting another bike hauling thread.

Wink Starting another bike hauling thread.

After a year and a half, my Uncles estate is settled.

I'm gonna get a class C RV in the 21' to 28' range and set it up to bring my toys along.

I'm leaning toward using this cycle carrier, and this tow dolly.

With that pair I can take both my TW and my VW, or just the TW, or just the VW.

Another thought was to see if I could get an RV that could tow a full size car trailer that would be big enough for both car and bike. But I'm not sure I want something that big behind me in the tight roads around some campgrounds.

Comments? Suggestions?
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Maybe get both and have reciever hitch welded to front of RV to carry bike on rack in front? Less overhang, possibly better handling and weight balance. Bike might stay cleaner in front, and you can tell sooner if anything is getting loose. Some of those class c have very long rear overhangs that would pitch bike up and down significantly over bumps.
    Downside? Bike in front might block some headlights, cooling and under hood access.

I like the carrier and dolly idea. Like you said, its a pretty long rig with a car trailer behind the RV. One question: Do you have to register/plate and insure a tow dolly?
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    I like the carrier and dolly idea. Like you said, its a pretty long rig with a car trailer behind the RV. One question: Do you have to register/plate and insure a tow dolly?
    Most states yes....After I retired from Environmental Health Work in 2002 at the ripe old age of 53...I needed something to do, beside drink beer, smoke hand rolled cigars, and umpire...so I hooked up with a RV Delivery Company out of Nappannee, Indiana, and delivered Motorhomes/RVs in the 21 to 50 foot size, usually Gulf Stream.... and unless I was delivering to California or Vegas, I would usually tow my Jeep Wrangler behind for return trips...I used a tow bar, but the guys that double and tripled up and used dolly rigs, usually had them licensed...the insurance, while covered by the company, was minimal....

I did this for 5+ years....it was a great gig, and I got to haul to Canada and 46 of the 48 original states....
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Maybe get both and have reciever hitch welded to front of RV to carry bike on rack in front? Less overhang, possibly better handling and weight balance. Bike might stay cleaner in front, and you can tell sooner if anything is getting loose. Some of those class c have very long rear overhangs that would pitch bike up and down significantly over bumps.
    Downside? Bike in front might block some headlights, cooling and under hood access.
    One of the measurements I'm looking at while shopping is the rear axle to bumper/hitch distance. I have experience with autos/vans that had long leverage back there.

With the VW Beetle weighing in at 2712lbs. the dolly should have no problems with weight distribution on the extended hitch of the carrier.
    Ready to Ride likes this.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

I came up with the carrier/dolly combination after seeing the price of this trailer.

Thinking about the hassle of changing the dolly settings for with/without the bike on that rig, I decided getting them separate was both less expensive, and more versatile.

I'm sure there will be times I don't want to take the VW. I can't think of not taking the TW, but hey, stranger things have happened.

And with the carrier I have the option of towing the 4X8 flatbed loaded with other stuff. Or a boat trailer... I might buy a boat someday.
    littletommy likes this.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

Better check the weight capacity of the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Better check the weight capacity of the receiver.
    Yeah, Class 3 at 600lb. will be at its limits with carrier, bike, and tow dolly tongue weight.

Definitely prefer a Class 4 at 1000lb. rating.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

My brother has a lot of experience with his Class C RV with a generator rack on the back - he had so much trouble with scraping that he had a new receiver custom build and mounted above the rear bumper not below it - when you start extending beyond the existing bumper that is a long long lever that you are developing so be careful in doing the math and what the implications of adding a 100 kilos that far behind the axle.
    Last edited by Polarpilot; 03-29-2014 at 07:30 PM.

Another option could be what I have done with my Gulf Stream 23' motorhome. I t has a big Ford chassis under it with a 10 cylinder engine. I had a hitch installed on the front of the rig. I have a hydraulic motorcycle lift that I use on the front to haul my TW. I have used a rack, like you are thinking of, on the front in the past but this new to me Moto-Jack really works well. I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara car that has a transfer case. I hook it on the rear. I used this combination last Spring when I went to the St.George/ Moab area for three weeks for some adventure riding.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links