Chain lubricant
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Chain lubricant

Chain lubricant

Found this at Lowes. The Teflon stuff is good. Wanted to try it until I change the original sprockets and chain. It's supposed to be completely non-stick. Since I ride mostly off-road it may be a good lube. Has anyone else tried this? DSCF0033.JPG
    You only need a 200cc bike to circle the planet, anything larger is just wheel spin.

Standard roller chains require constant cleaning and lubrication as well as regular adjustments. I have never found a suitable chain lubricant that did all things well. When lubricating the chain on the bike what you will find is most of it ends up on the bike and is a pain to clean off the wheels, spokes, guard, swing arm and underside of the fender.

The best lubricant I ever found was regular 30 weight oil when used this way. Remove the chain and clean it in diesel or kerosene. Allow it to hang and drip dry after wiping all residue off. Soak the chain for an hour in an oil bath and again wipe the excess off and allow it to hang over night so most of the oil drips off. You will still get overspray all over but not as much and you will be sure the inside rollers and posts got oiled. Washing the chain and getting most of the dirt out is as important as lubricating it.

The O and X ring chains perform so much better because they are sealed and keep most of the offending dirt out of the wear surfaces. A quick wipe and very light external lubrication to thwart surface rust is all that is required. Much the same as a sealed bearing that never requires lubrication. This is the very first thing I would change on any bike that is not delivered with a sealed chain.

GaryL
    elime and 1 Bad dog like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    The best lubricant I ever found was regular 30 weight oil when used this way.
    GaryL
    I absolutely agree 100% with everything you said except I think 140 wt gear oil better -- a lot less fling than 30 wt. -- for open non-sealed chains.

My experience with o-ring chains is very limited but in the past I have used WD-40 after cleaning and drying with kerosine.
    littletommy likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    I absolutely agree 100% with everything you said except I think 140 wt gear oil better -- a lot less fling than 30 wt. -- for open non-sealed chains.

My experience with o-ring chains is very limited but in the past I have used WD-40 after cleaning and drying with kerosine.
    I can agree the heavier gear oil might be a better choice but it takes forever to allow that thick stuff to drip off and a lot longer soaking in the bath for it to penetrate the inner rollers. Getting the dirt out is way more important than the final lube.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

What about regular grease to lubricate the chain? Will it serve the purpose?

we found that the most wear occurs on the sprockettooth face and roller surface just because of the sand up here is so fine it acts as an abrasif .and heawy lube just traps the dirt on the chain and sprocket just like valve grind compound. so up here we just try to keep chain clean and use a light lube to keep rust off.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I can agree the heavier gear oil might be a better choice but it takes forever to allow that thick stuff to drip off and a lot longer soaking in the bath for it to penetrate the inner rollers. Getting the dirt out is way more important than the final lube.

GaryL

I've heard of people soaking the chains in gear lube that was warmed up in a pan to help it thin out and penetrate. Never tried it, I just use the spray on and fling off type.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

So , some folks take their open chain off and soak in Kerosene or whatever , then soak the chain in lube for an hour or better, then let it sit all night and then re-install......folks do this every 300--600 miles!......no thanks.
    WD-40 is fine to use as a cleaner on an o-ring chain , then, lightly lube the chain , super sticky stuff attracts dirt. Oil and the like assist in removing the dirt / debris.....one advantage of an "auotmatic" chain oiler.

"I never properly cared for any standard roller chain on any of my bikes"!

This is is the main issue. Another big truth is when you mix sand and gritt with oil you end up with a highly abrasive concoction that is guaranteed to wear things out just like valve grinding compound.

Keep your chain as clean as possible and have fun!

GaryL

I'm going to use WD 40 on my new stock chain..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links