gear
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gear

I know this has been covered before, but does anyone know of some inexpensive warm riding gear? I'm about a size 54 waist, and im having a hard time finding stuff in my size. I don't have much money, I'm just a part time schoolbus driver. If anyone has some ideas, please let me know. I cant go over $300. I'd like gear with armor, but I guess I probably cant afford that yet. Anyways, thanks for the help guys, and gals.
    1999 TW200 Mods- Fishing rod holder, Tail bag, handlbar risers, and soon to be JimboSheild

Check into ATV riding suits. You won't get the good padding and crash protection of Moto gear but it's better than nothing. Look at Cabelas bargin basement.

insulated bluejeans at wallyworld are 20 bucks, not really riding gear but keeps ya warm, full face helmet is a must, especially in the winter, and i have what i call a "neck gator". it's a manly scarf thats kind of like a shirt sleeve that you put around your neck. it does nothing for protection, however it keeps the chill off.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You might check online at Motorcycle Superstore too! Once in awhile they run great specials.

BTW, I was born in Lebanon, OR.

Orscheln, Atwoods, TSC (Tractor Supply Co.)...

Any place farmers go to buy stuff for working in the field. They spend all day (and sometimes all night) out in the rain, snow, wind... those cows won't wait for good weather.

Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

All good advice, but in particular think about those insultated (brown) overalls that construction and farm type wear. Yes a neck gaitor or simply a bit fluffy scarf is important. There is no way that any helmet other than a full face helmet can keep you as warm. Think about a pair of light gloves inside your other gloves and consider lobster gloves (two finger, two fingers, and thumb separate). Definately put some covers on those brush guards to reduce wind on your hands. I sometimes wear gaitors (like for cross country skiing) to reduce air entry in the cuff area. And any rain pant will cut down wind on your legs (jeans suck for insulation). Layers, layers, and layers. When in doubt cover those spots vulnerable to wind chill (neck, ankles, hands). And by all means pay attention to stiff hands that do not operate controls as well. Be safe. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

I have learned my lesson that all gear is cheep after the crash . Spend the money on gear up front. Hospitals charge more for 1 day than all the gear you could possibly wear. I was wearing a helmet , good gloves and an un-armored jacket when I crashed . The gear was enough to save my life , however an armored jacket good armored pants and boots would have saved tens of thousands in medical bills lost work and a boatload of pain. Pay for gear or pay for treatment thats the choice.

I agree with the ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) motto!

This is a great place to get some sweet (inexpensive) deals if they happen to have your size.

MotoGearOutlet

Peruano is right! Layers, layers, layers. I get my base layers at Walmart. You can get Dri-Star pants for $9 and a long sleeve Dri-Star shirt for $8. After that I use thin fleeze long sleeve shirt and fleeze pants. On top of that goes my jacket, I use an Olympia AST 3/4 jacket. It retails for $299 but you can find better deals online.

Another option would be the Firstgear Jaunt jacket. They have it for $199 at newenough.com Or if you wear a 52 then get this Teknics Stinger Jacket - Waterproof 3/4 Length Jacket - CE Armor - Removable Liner for $90.

On top of all the gear I use Froggs-Koggs $50 (make sure to get the 1 or 2 size larger as it goes over everything). It works both as rain protection and as an extra layer (wind breaker).

You can get a full size HJC CL-15 for under $75 here. It is a great helmet for the $$. Read a review here. Selected helmet of the year in 2005 and that was the previous model the CL-14.

All in all, you can get a Jacket for $90, pants for $80, full size helmet for $75, rain suit for $50. Misc base layers and fleece for about $50. And use the rest for good waterproof boots. And don't forget to get nice merino wool socks.

Grand total: $345

As far as gloves, my experience is that no matter how waterproof they say the gloves are they get wet. I personally carry 3 pairs.

I got this wonderful Gerbing electric jacket and I have to say that it was FANTASTIC... I believe you can get gloves and socks as well.... Jacket about 200.00

hey i found one for 129.00 at Derby Cycles 502-633-7100

Great liner jacket! My friend is in Chicago where its below 0 right now and this has saved him... of course along with a lot of other great gear..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links