motorcycle safety course.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: motorcycle safety course.

motorcycle safety course.

Just signed up the wife for the novice course here in Ridgefield Wa. Luckily her brother just lives down the road a piece so she can stay with him for the training.

She has been riding sporadicly with me on pavement at 25 or less mph. I am going to leave it up to the instructors. I don't think I will go. It might be too painful to watch lol. I do hope she comes back with smiles and a license. Would be nice to be able to go to some functions and meet some fellow tdubers.

After riding with a few saturday a week ago, I am trying to get her up to speed to join us.
    soccerdad, eli, Point37 and 1 others like this.

My girlfriend took the MSF course last weekend and did pretty well. She had not ridden much prior to the class and by the time it was over she knows how to operate the clutch pretty good, shift and stop. I did not stay for the class at all, not because i didn't want to watch but i thought it would make her nervous and i didn't think the instructions would really want an audience. I did swing by for lunch and they were riding on the range and she was doing great and having fun. she was so nervous going into the class but now she cant wait to ride the TW again. Im trying to bring her along slowly and safe, so far so good.
    plumbstraight and Point37 like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

My wife wanted to learn to ride. I made a deal with her that if she wanted to ride she had to take a safety course and I would go take it with her (so she wouldn't have to go alone). She bought a 2002 TW and I have been working with her on pulling out and shifting and we are scheduled to take the course the last week in April.
    Fred and plumbstraight like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

eli
    When I took my course (which is required in FL to get your MC license), there was a woman in the class whose husband hung out and watched most of both days. He had been riding for years, and just watched, letting the instructors do their job. Out of all the students, she was the only one to fall (during the practice riding), and it was a violent looking fall, though she was fine, just rattled. Her husband showed pretty good restraint, and stopped himself from running out to help her. The instructors did a great job helping her get her confidence back throughout the rest of the weekend. It paid off, as she had the highest combined score (she beat me out by 1 point!).

I gotta say I didn't mind the husband hanging out all day, he was pretty cool and chatted with us during our breaks.

When my wife decided she wanted her own bike I insisted she take the course. Fortunately I work for a motorcycle dealership and we have a Harley dealership right next door so I was able to get her into the HD Riders Edge course at employee cost. She hated the Buell Blast but I told her if she could ride that beat up POS then she could ride anything.

As a former instructor I can tell you even if you have ridden for awhile there are still things to learn at a beginners course. Lots of times you will discover some unknown bad habits and how to correct them.
    Fred likes this.

My gf and I just attended the riders edge course at HD.... Awesome course, learned a lot and experienced a lot. we both passed! Should hopefully get our endorsements next Tuesday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    subdude likes this.

Everyone should be required to take the BRC, no matter what name it is marketed under. Highly recommend a follow-up with the offroad rider course just to develop the necessary skills to deal with the teenage texter drifting into your lane and forcing you off the road. Even heavy cruisers and baggers are amazingly capable in the dirt under a knowledgeable rider who never gives up. Finally, after a few thousand miles or a few hundred thousand miles on the street or a couple hundred hours of parking lot practice, the advanced course will take any rider to the next level. I think multilevel licensing and training required is a good idea that will save many lives.

That and requiring every new driver to spend a year behind the wheel of a rally car with a passing grade before being issued a license. Damm Kid will be having way to much fun to be texting.

Kids in rally cars? Oh, heck no. Grandparents in rally cars would be much better. Kids should only be allowed to drive vehicles they bought with money they earned themselves. Those are the kids who rarely get in trouble on the road.

RiskEverything likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links