First offroad adventiure of the year.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: First offroad adventiure of the year.

First offroad adventure of the year.

Since it was nice out today when i got home from work i decided to venture out on the TW for a little off road adventure. Got the TW nice and dirty and had a pretty good time. Im totally impressed with the Duro's traction off road. That thing is a true beast of a tire. I got to run it in a some mud, loose soil, sand and hard packed soil and it works great on all of them. The rear has so much traction now it can overpower the front tire. I have also noticed the fuel milage is pretty much garbage with the duro on. I got 60 miles out of this tank and i had to hit the reserve. Its the price i pay for traction i guess. My TW decided to play a little April fools joke on me today too, mid trail it just quit with no warning. I stabbed the button and no crankie. It ended up that the connector for the right hand switchgear which is under the tank popped apart and when it does the bike just dies. That's quite the feature.... Even a kick start would not have bailed me out of that one. I was able to fix it pretty quick and get back going again with no drama. I'm just glad it happened on a slow trail and not on the road, im going to rig up a fix of some sort so it cant come apart again. I took some video today too, here is a little highlight video.

Last edited by jb882; 04-01-2014 at 10:04 PM.
    elime, B-dub, Fred and 2 others like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

I went to school in Boston and lived there for 5 years in the 70's. During that time I had a 4x4 Chevy pickup truck and would go to some sand pit in Scituate which is probably all condos by now. I made friends with some guys there and we would also go on power line trails and I guess fire roads, though I really don't know if that is what they were or just dirt roads going through the forest. I also went to the National Sea Shore at the end of Cape Cod several times -- just super nice! Anyway, your video brought back some good memories. Nothing like nostalgia! Thanks. Tony.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Your maintenance intermission music gave me a chuckle. Your after work ride reminds me of the ones I go on. Well, except for the tree's and pavement!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I wish I was a patient as you, I think I'd enjoy the scenery more, as soon as my key is turned I'm flat out in evey gear untill I turn it off.

Your fuel situation is bad, i have the 125 with the biggest knobley tyre on the front and a tw34 on the rear 5psi each and riding as above from a full tank will go on to reserve around 55ish miles.
    View my build/off road riding here with lots of pics and vids Hidden Content

Uk TW/ Suzuki LTZ250 off road rider only

Flat out or back out.

Quote Originally Posted by skippyboyo2 View Post
    I wish I was a patient as you, I think I'd enjoy the scenery more, as soon as my key is turned I'm flat out in evey gear untill I turn it off.

Your fuel situation is bad, i have the 125 with the biggest knobley tyre on the front and a tw34 on the rear 5psi each and riding as above from a full tank will go on to reserve around 55ish miles.
    I'm not sure if its patience or i was just trying to be smart. I normally/used to ride off road very aggressively often way beyond the limits of my TW and its stock suspension. Since i had back surgery for a herniated disc last Dec i don't feel like i should be pushing it, a getoff at speed could be a huge problem for me. The Duro rear tire also was a factor, i feel like that tire is more at home poking around vs going flat out. The reason is the traction, there is so much of it out back that there is no way to break the rear tire loose at all and it makes the bike a little unbalanced from a traction standpoint. Heavy mud is a good example, the rear has so much grip it just pushes the front end around and it gets a little uneasy feeling. It also does not follow ruts very well, that Duro seems to prefer to go its own way which is thru anything and everything. Slowing down and letting the traction do the work and the TW's ability to be a tractor really makes the Duro shine. There were some situations where i know with the stock rear i could/would have ridden it much harder. I was also running street pressure in the tires which might not have helped me much.

The fuel milege is terrible with that monster rear, i know when i put the stocker back on it will be right back to normal.
    Last edited by jb882; 04-02-2014 at 12:14 PM.
    Fred likes this.

Hidden Content

That's a good sounding exhaust! I wish I had some spare cash laying around for mine...one day!

Thanks for the video. What mount/case is that you're using for your handlebar iphone setup? Looked pretty sturdy. Are you able to charge and stay weatherproof with it?
    1987 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear Rack, Tinman Tim's Side Racks [THANKS!], Action Packer Rear Trunk, Texsport waterproof luggage, 20w LED Spot Beam headlight, LED Bulbs for Rear Brake Light and Dash/Speedo, 12v marine auxiliary port, Coleman Seat Pad, Alloy Boltz kit.

"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." -A. Lincoln

Hidden Content

@mcc1776
    Its a case or ordered from a place called ultimate mobiles in England. The case itself is ipx4 waterproof and the kit i bought comes with a ram like ball mount with an m8 bolt and a waterproof charger setup that hard wires to the battery. I have this same setup on my other TW and my Ducati and it works great. I have had it out in some pretty good rains too and never a problem. some of the parts can be sourced here, for example Twisted throttle sells a case that looks just like the one i have but beyond the case i never found a charger solution as elegant or well thought out as this one. I have had this same basic setup on my Ducati since 2011 when i first got it.

On the TW i mounted the little charger box under the right side panel just behind the toolkit with some velcro. Its a perfect spot for it.

Here is a link to the kit i bought. They have other mounting options like strap and ubolt mounts as well and they sell this case and charger deal for other phones as well.
    Waterproof Tough Hard Mount Case For IPhone 5 5s

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    @mcc1776
    Its a case or ordered from a place called ultimate mobiles in England. The case itself is ipx4 waterproof and the kit i bought comes with a ram like ball mount with an m8 bolt and a waterproof charger setup that hard wires to the battery. I have this same setup on my other TW and my Ducati and it works great. I have had it out in some pretty good rains too and never a problem. some of the parts can be sourced here, for example Twisted throttle sells a case that looks just like the one i have but beyond the case i never found a charger solution as elegant or well thought out as this one. I have had this same basic setup on my Ducati since 2011 when i first got it.

On the TW i mounted the little charger box under the right side panel just behind the toolkit with some velcro. Its a perfect spot for it.

Here is a link to the kit i bought. They have other mounting options like strap and ubolt mounts as well and they sell this case and charger deal for other phones as well.
    Waterproof Tough Hard Mount Case For IPhone 5 5s
    Thanks JB. I've been looking high and low and think this is going to work great.
    1987 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear Rack, Tinman Tim's Side Racks [THANKS!], Action Packer Rear Trunk, Texsport waterproof luggage, 20w LED Spot Beam headlight, LED Bulbs for Rear Brake Light and Dash/Speedo, 12v marine auxiliary port, Coleman Seat Pad, Alloy Boltz kit.

"I will prepare and someday my chance will come." -A. Lincoln

Hidden Content

Amy time. I can take some more detailed pics if you want. Like I said its a really good solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links