Morning Coffee Ride
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Oldad
  • 1 Post By Borneo

Thread: Morning Coffee Ride

Morning Coffee Ride

This video needs a bit of set-up to make sense. My nephew and I went to Big Bend for two weeks. Towards the end of our trip we learned that my brother had taken a load to Laredo and had my younger nephew with him. He's 13 and was on spring break from school. My brother's brother in law lives in Porter, TX so we drove over to meet them and hang out for a day or so. This is my nephew Harmon, age 13, taking his very first ever TW ride. You can see he has a few issues, but overall he did pretty well. We are close to being able to get him one...just his mom needs to be convinced now.

Last edited by Borneo; 04-02-2014 at 07:12 AM.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Thanks. I needed that.

At least he didn't stall out on a railroad track with a train coming.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

At least he didn't stall out on a railroad track with a train coming.
    Uh, yeah. Boy that would make the "mom convincing" more challenging, wouldn't it?

I would have preferred he didn't stall out in the paved cross road as well...but like I said, first ride and only 13. Boys, ya know.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It looks like he did really well. The TW clutch isn't the most user friendly one I've ever had!

What I got from the video is that he was showing good situational awareness, and he didn't get flustered when he struggling with the clutch and was keeping an eye on his surroundings. Tell his mom that.

A bit more work on the clutch/rpm sequence and he will have it nailed. I hope he will take a safety course before launching out on to many roads though. Thanks for the riding pictures

The Kid Done Good....I can relate to the Clutch Thingy...first couple of times I took the new TW out last week...I was wondering if it was me or the Clutch? Turns out I just had to get used to it....after some different surfaces and situations, I got it down...and once he does that{especially for a youngster} he will not have any problems.... it jist takes a bit of gitting use to it
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Once he gets going, he's doing ok. I bet he loved it and dreams at night about the next motorcycle ride!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

"Kid done good" is right. Very respectable first ride. Naluboy recently posted asking for a recogmendation for a first bike for an 11 year old and Harmon demonstrated a TW need not be too much for a capable 13 year old. Low saddle height, modest gearing, torque and non-explosive powerband make a TW good learners bike. While porky and not cheap I would rather have learned on something like a TW rather than a $250 cast-off 250cc Montessa geared to the moon motorcrosser. My first ride was certainly not Go-pro rated....stall, wheelie-stall, wobble,crash, stall some more, crash some more...
    I give Harmon a big thumbs up, safe, observant, stable at speed. Just needs practice.

Sponosred Links