Cheap seat mod.
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Ready to Ride

Thread: Cheap seat mod.

Cheap seat mod.

The TW seat in process of being reshaped.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    It is more comfortable but still not a BarcaLounger. Came out looking nice. Don't know why the " after" photo is upside down.

If you click on it 2 times it turns right side up.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Hi Andrew, can you go into more detail on your seat mod please. Looking good!

Joemama

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Joemama View Post
    Hi Andrew, can you go into more detail on your seat mod please. Looking good!

Joemama
    I have found concave seating surfaces are more comfortable than slightly convex surfaces like the stock TW seat. They provide better, broader support for my sitz bones rather than putting pressure on the more sensitive parts of my anatomy. Most high end aftermarket seats, like Corbin or Russel Day Long, are concave or bucket like.

I ordered and recieved a Seat Concepts package for my Tiger 1050. The stock Tiger seat is quite broad but was not as comfortable as desired. After disassembling the Tiger seat I put the SC foam on the base pan mounted on the bike and found that while it was good foam it was still uncomfortable. Turns out the person who designed the SC Tiger seat mainly wanted to improve the pillion perch for the passenger's comfort and to keep the pillion rider from sliding into the pilot. They hadn't change the pilot portion of the seat at all. When I spoke to SC about my experience our conversation turned to reshaping seats using a Sureform tool. I tried it on the stock Tiger foam and found that making it concave made it much more comfortable. I ended up re-installing the stock cover (used a $20 Harbor Freight pneumatic stapler on the advice of SC) and returned the unused SC foam and cover for credit.

Thought I'd try the same trick on the TW seat when I found it to be convex and uncomfortable. It definately is more comfortable now than it was but being a much narrower seat there are limits to how bucket-like, providing broader support, I could make it. I previously removed the seat strap and use the rear part of the seat when just cruising so I hollowed the center all the way back including the wider part of the seat. Kept the shoulders on the edges to provide maximum support at full width and to maintain the fit of the cover. The cover can easily stretch enough to be flat when there is no weight on it but conform to the compressed foam when sat upon.

As stated above, I find it significantly more comfortable while still being a narrow dual sport seat. YMMV.
    Cost = $0.00 (not counting a few cents for the staples to reinstall the cover)

Probably TMI but you asked.
    MTLHead, elime and Fred like this.

Nice write up. Are you going to ride the Cow Mnt ride? I would like to check that out up close. I have been considering a seat mod but did not know where to start. Thanks.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joemama View Post
    Nice write up. Are you going to ride the Cow Mnt ride? I would like to check that out up close. I have been considering a seat mod but did not know where to start. Thanks.

Joe
    Going to try and make it. Better odds if I can find someone for me and my TW to ride with as it's a very long drive-ride-drive for me to do alone with my single bike trailer.

Sponosred Links