Some random questions that I should know but I do not.
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By naluboy
  • 1 Post By old white truck
  • 1 Post By small's

Thread: Some random questions that I should know but I do not.

Some random questions that I should know but I do not.

Hi,
    Well I continue my quest to bring up my TW. And I notice some minor issues and hope you can help me.

1. What is the proper bulb type for the speedometer ? the one I have is not working.

2. I have seen the Shinko tire 244 and it has a tread equal to the Kenda 270 and it is nice, the problem I remember was that the 270 tire was very scary on road and during hard breaking, more like I will crap my pants if I brake hard!, kinda feeling, or during the twisties. So how do they handle on road? (the Shinko 244)

3. Not counting the DOT regulations since they do not apply to me, is it a good idea to light up the road using only LEDs? Or HIDs? and not caring the H4 bulb.

4. I would like to put the +1 front sprocket since I used this bike as my commuter on road. What are the advantages? I do not like the very short first gear and would like to hit 5th gear after 30 mph, is these a real possibility? Or am I asking too much from a simple change?

Thank you.

Damasovi

#4 - I would think that going from a 14 front to a 15 front would be a very subtle change.

I went from a 14/50 to a 15/47 and my first gear is still pretty "short" as you put it...I am shifting into 2nd gear on the road only after about 20-25 feet or so

I am typically shifting into 5th gear around 40mph or slightly above

#1 - I am running the TW203 on the front, and not that I've compared it to other street tires, but, I like it alot...grips well and feels really good/smooth/safe
    damasovi likes this.

naluboy thanks! I think that if I shift at 40 mph that is a big improvement since sometimes I am shifting before I hit 30 so that is good, also at 40 is when I go for 6th gear.

And I have also consider going all street, but I would like to keep my dirt options open a little more...

thanks and keep it coming.

Damasovi

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
    Hi,

2. I have seen the Shinko tire 244 and it has a tread equal to the Kenda 270 and it is nice, the problem I remember was that the 270 tire was very scary on road and during hard breaking, more like I will crap my pants if I brake hard!, kinda feeling, or during the twisties. So how do they handle on road? (the Shinko 244)
    Damasovi,

I put a Shinko 244 (5.10") on my TW for improvement off-road. However, it was good on pavement as well - better than stock. I liked it so much I got another 244 to put on my wife's bike. I would not put anything remotely scary on my wife's bike. The 244's road manners are just fine.

The sr244 will feel way different at first. When I put mine on I rode it for 15minutes and came back and almost took it off. I hated it but I decided I should try to get used to it and see if I changed my opinion. Im glad I did as I love it now and it will take corners alot harder than most tdubber will ever push it. I was scraping my boots on almost every corner on the dragons tail. The only place I dont really like it is in thick sand as it tends to float instead of cutting a grove. It will feel weird but it goes pretty good. Other than sand I like it over the stocker in about every category. If dot isnt a concern I would pass on everything but led's as they will light up the night. What year is your bike. If 2001 or newer I would run something like two advmonster model 60's. One for low beam and both for high. You wont believe how much light they put out. Im running a bikemaster hid for the main dot headlight and there is alot of crap that goes with it and Im running two advmonster model 44's which are weaker than the model 60's and they rock the night. Here is my comparison night time photos. https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...on-photos.html
    the model 60's are 30w a piece so two of them would be the same as the stock high beam. I believe the dash bulb is a 194 but I will have to check on that before confirming. Sprockets I would go with a 15 on the front or a 47 on the rear. If your just road riding and your a little guy then you can get away with 15/47. I did a 1600 mile road trip with that gearing and it was fine but I dont like it for offroad. You lose to much low end and lug the engine in sand or slow technical stuff. I think the 15/50 or 14/47 is the best all around gearing. Ive ran all stock 14/50, 15/50 and 15/47 and I prefer the 15/50, 14/47 since they are almost identical. If your planning on switching gearing often back to stock then go with the 14/47 so you can just change tbe rear back to the 50 and go instead of taking off the sidecase. Thats just my opinion though. Im 5'6" and 145-150lbs and in my opinion the bike wont handle more than 15/47 gearing. It just doesnt have the stuff to pull it well with real tall gearing. Good luck. Oh on the lights the two 44's I have will completely over shine the hid. You could turn off the hid and not even notice it if they are all pointed in the same direction.
    damasovi likes this.

Thank you all for your comments, I see I am heading in the correct direction. To the 3 gentlemen many thanks for the info it does makes it very clear, and I had seen that light comparison from small's post.

Now I will continue to ride it and when the next oil change comes up I will do the sprocket change.

Damasovi

Sponosred Links