New TW owner
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: New TW owner

New TW owner

Hello, I have had a few bikes in my life now I am a little older I was looking for something on and off road... to ride while my husband is racing, or we are camping or just to go exploring etc.
    I just purchased a 2012 TW and the guy did some things to it and wanted advice or what the pro's/ cons are. He added a swing arm extension......a led light instead of the red light at the back. He also did something to the exhaust where he removed something and its now louder than stock....he said it was for performance? He also added different mirrors as I hope you can see in the pic.
    Any suggestions /advice would be great.
    Also want to add a rear luggage rack and everyone says cycle racks but I don't like the arm thing that comes down the sides or the bike.
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TWGIRL; 04-04-2014 at 10:50 PM.

Welcome to the Forum TWGirl!

Looks like a nice TW with a few mods. These bikes are easy to work on and everything that the previous owner has done can be reversed if you don't like it.

People extend their swingarms for one of two reasons. One is to allow clearance for a larger rear tire and to improve the offroad capability of their bike. Others do it because they think it looks cool. My guess is that your bike had it done to look cool. The LED taillight and license plate bracket were probably changed because the stock one would have been ripped off by the rear tire after the first big bump with that extended swingarm. Mirrors are mostly up to each person's personal preference and are easily changed. Stock exhausts are often modified to increase performance, but in most cases they just end up making more noise. I felt the same way as you about the look of the rear Cycleracks until I finally got one. They really are great racks and the looks will grow on you with time.

I'd suggest riding it for a while and then make the mods that will make it suit the type of riding that you like to do. There are lots of knowledgeable people on this forum who are happy to help you with whatever you need.

Brian
    williamemack and Fred like this.

Thanks for the info. Def want to put the tire back and I have the original swing arm. Do you notice any other possible mods with it? Any experience with the LED lights vs regular? I like the look and prob will keep that. Not sure how to fix the exhaust and not really looking for something loud and as for performance well......this is a fun bike not really high performance . Are there any things you have done that you would say ......yes def that was worth it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If the LED rear lights are working fine, I'd keep them. If you post some more closeup pics we will be able to spot any additional mods that your bike may have. Further mods really depend on what you want to use your bike for, if you want it for offroad and as a serious adventure bike, check out this thread for what some of us have done.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...ady-tw200.html

If you plan to do any offroading more serious than the occasional gravel road, I would suggest getting a real skid plate to replace the stock one which is a joke. You could easily sell your extended swingarm and depending on what was done to your muffler, you may be able to trade it for a stock one.
    williamemack likes this.

Lower Hudson River Valley of The Communist State of N.Y.
    Welcome to a great community. These bikes can be modded in so many ways that your question is hard to answer. Certain mods are more useful when matched to a person's riding style. What would be a great mod to somebody who uses their TW as an adventure/tourer may not be very useful to a commuter, or to someone who does a lot of off pavement riding. Once you have decided how you are going to ride your TW ( mentioned earlier ) then that would determine which mods to suggest. For me, a good start is hand guards, wider foot pegs, a JImbo shield, a skid plate, an oil cooler, a cycleracks rear rack, and an ATV rear tire. ( as well as a more capable front tire )

The list goes on and on. Next up for mine is an Xt 350 gas tank mod for the extended range. ( and the looks ) Rubber side down, Dave
    TWGIRL and Fred like this.

rbm
    Hello and welcome!
    TWGIRL likes this.

everyone says cycle racks but I don't like the arm thing that comes down the sides or the bike.
    Not everyone. I spent too much time behind a push lawn mower as a kid to install a cycle racks . I have a Manracks, which I am well satisfied with.

Welcome to this amiable group of lunatics.
    TWGIRL, Fred and Dubzha like this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

He also did something to the exhaust where he removed something and its now louder than stock....he said it was for performance
    Some people think noise and performance are synonyms.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Enjoy the machine.

Take a couple of pictures of your exhaust for us. Does it have an end cap (pipe outlet) on it? If so, remove the bottom bolt from it and take a picture of what you removed. That will help these TW whiz-kids solve that issue.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links