update
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: update

update

Thank you all for the wonderful info......I did post all the pics so if anyone else sees anything that looks off or another mod please let me know.
    It apparently was owned by a mechanic then sold to an older guy that just had knee replacement .....thats who I got it from. He did a lot of stuff to it for adventure riding but took most of the stuff off.

I also heard people were adding kickstarts to these as they stopped doing that in 2000.......but have noticed anyone mentioning it? so not worth it?
    What about these comfy seats I see ? worth the investment for casual riding?

So I will ride it for the next month until hubby gets home and I think we will doing the following.......put old swing arm back on, add luggage rack and a new o ring chain......and check the skid plate. Also put a stock exhaust back on.......and then I will be happy, happy, happy ! For now I will stick with the LED light on back.

Thanks again......what a wonderful forum.......did you do meet ups? or is there a TW T-dub t-shirt??
    damasovi likes this.

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by TWGIRL View Post
    Thank you all for the wonderful info......I did post all the pics so if anyone else sees anything that looks off or another mod please let me know.
    It apparently was owned by a mechanic then sold to an older guy that just had knee replacement .....thats who I got it from. He did a lot of stuff to it for adventure riding but took most of the stuff off.

I also heard people were adding kickstarts to these as they stopped doing that in 2000.......but have noticed anyone mentioning it? so not worth it?
    What about these comfy seats I see ? worth the investment for casual riding?

So I will ride it for the next month until hubby gets home and I think we will doing the following.......put old swing arm back on, add luggage rack and a new o ring chain......and check the skid plate. Also put a stock exhaust back on.......and then I will be happy, happy, happy ! For now I will stick with the LED light on back.

Thanks again......what a wonderful forum.......did you do meet ups? or is there a TW T-dub t-shirt??
    The kickstarter can be added for around $200 and is a worthwhile addition if you're going to spend some time off road away from support. Seat Concepts makes a replacement foam and cover that is worth it's weight in gold as far as I'm concerned, that is if you intend to spend all day riding...
    TWGIRL likes this.

Unless you expect to use it a lot, a kickstarter isn't a big deal. If your battery runs down, put your bike in third gear, turn on the key (and the kill switch, which I rarely use myself), pull the clutch and get it rolling. Let off the clutch and, if you're lucky, it will start. PULL THE CLUTCH BACK IN RIGHT AWAY if you are running alongside (doh!) so your TW doesn't leave without you. Works great downhill, just stay in the seat and let 'er roll.
    TWGIRL and Hoot Gibson like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I've had good performance from a cheap AGM battery from eBay. There is no direct replacement but a slightly smaller one will fit. AGM batteries are sealed so it is not necessary to pull the seat and battery to check water on a regular basis. I'm all about reducing the maintenance workload.

TWGIRL and Hoot Gibson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGIRL View Post
    There was a T-dub club shirt for sale over a year ago, but there hasn't been one available for a while. There are a couple of stickers available from different members now. Stuff like shirts and stickers generally come along thanks to the efforts of an inspired individual around here. There are several aftermarket parts available from industrious forum members as well.

In a few places around the country (mostly California, seems like) members get together semi-regularly. In most of the country, we're spread too thin to make regular get-togethers happen.
    TWGIRL likes this.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Kick starter can be ordered from Bay Area Yamaha for $200-ish shipped. Their number is ,1-888-660-7766.

The seat issue is up to you, if you find the OEM seat a pain ,several folk will chime in for suggestion.
    TWGIRL likes this.

If no one has said get rid of the stock front tire. For around 50.00 you can get a shinko goldenboy 5.10 replacement. well worth the extra mod. It was one of the first things I did for my wifes TW. Replaced mine years ago.
    TWGIRL and Fred like this.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

The front tire will wear quickly and unevenly. It can be reversed on the rim for extra miles, but it pales in comparison the Kenda K270, Shinko Golden Boy, and IRC GP-1 on all surfaces. These tires have a profile that matches the odd round profile of the stock rear tire and they just seem to click after a few hundred miles of break-in, while the stocker seems to start going away as soon as it hits the ground.

TWGIRL likes this.

I would like to have the kicker but is it worth $200???? My battery went belly up on the first day of a two day ride in Missouri. "The Pucky Huddle Breakfast Run". To make a long story short every time we stopped I would try to park it up hill and if not just put it in 2nd or 3rd and take off running and it would fire up. I put a $28 chinese scooter battery in it last September and it still works fine. The seat concepts seat is probably the best mod I have done so far and footpegs 2nd. It makes the bike feel like a different bike. Long haul trips dont have to be so painful. Lots of worthy mods for the tw. For me the necessary mods are a seat, footpegs, skid plate, a rack, barkbusters and bar risers.
    Last edited by small's; 04-07-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    TWGIRL likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    There was a T-dub club shirt for sale over a year ago, but there hasn't been one available for a while. There are a couple of stickers available from different members now. Stuff like shirts and stickers generally come along thanks to the efforts of an inspired individual around here. There are several aftermarket parts available from industrious forum members as well.

In a few places around the country (mostly California, seems like) members get together semi-regularly. In most of the country, we're spread too thin to make regular get-togethers happen.
    Just sent you a PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links