Whip Lash Protector?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Whip Lash Protector?

Whip Lash Protector?

So I really haven't seen it on to many pictures (unless it wasn't pronounced) but does anyone know if these come stock on the TW's?
    20140408_172832.jpg
    I was told they are Whip Lash Protectors so you don't bite the metal hand bar when you do something super sweet...like jumping that creek that everyone said you could make but you where still like 4ft away...and now head first in the mud bank.
    I even looked all thru bike bandit under OEM parts and found zilch. If they do come stock does anyone keep theirs on? I am not looking for aftermarket stuff, I just would like to know whats the deal with them in general. I don't even notice mine when I am riding.
    MTLHead likes this.

handlebar pads don't come on the stock bars cause with a whopping 16hp no one is doing any tail whips on a TW...the easiest place to verify this would be on the yamaha website and just look at the new TW photos in the gallery ( http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/spo.../gallery.aspx# )...looks like someone used some home pipe insulation on your bike...or maybe a kid's bmx bicycle pad...my pro taper handlebars came with a pad so i left it on but i don't really need it...you may want to worry about the chain before the handlebar pad
    Last edited by Point37; 04-11-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    handlebar pads don't come on the stock bars cause with a whopping 16hp no one is doing any tail whips on a TW...the easiest place to verify this would be on the yamaha website and just look at the new TW photos in the gallery ( 2014 Yamaha TW200 Gallery, photos, pictures, pics )...looks like someone used some home pipe insulation on your bike...or maybe a kid's bmx bicycle pad...my pro taper handlebars came with a pad so i left it on but i don't really need it...you may want to worry about the chain before the handlebar pad
    Lol, yeah it looks like that insulating foam material that goes around hot water lines but its actually very solid rubber with squishy inside (its made with a split down the center to fit handle bars). Its off an older dirt bike I am sure from the original owner at least 16 years ago.
    Well I have to say I have used it at least 5 times since I have had the beast doing some extremely stupid stuff and hard braking (also groundhog holes out of nowhere). Full helmet gave me that extra reaching distance needed to be completely angry several times.
    I see the new ones don't have it. I am just curious about everyone else.
    Last edited by bluefox; 04-11-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

They are available aftermarket all over the place. I seem to remember someone saying the 10" is the correct length, but I'm not where I can measure for you, so I suggest checking before ordering. Commonly called handlebar pads. Here is an example of a 10" for sale. $6.25

Fly Racing 10" Handlebar Pad - Extreme Supply
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    They are available aftermarket all over the place. I seem to remember someone saying the 10" is the correct length, but I'm not where I can measure for you, so I suggest checking before ordering. Commonly called handlebar pads. Here is an example of a 10" for sale. $6.25

Fly Racing 10" Handlebar Pad - Extreme Supply
    Yeah they aren't to hard to find. Every shop down here wants to sell you an over priced one. Was just curious if everyone else had one come stock or not. Or if they ended up taking theirs off (for what reasons).

Sorry, I mis-read. Thought you were looking for one. I've never seen one on a stock bike.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

haven't needed it yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    haven't needed it yet...
    Thats a good thing lol.

I used them when I rode in the desert in the late 70s. Then again a few years ago I had one on my XL500. I cut a small piece of foam out of it and put my garage door opener in it.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Mel
    At my age, I hope I don't ever need one!!!!
    Mel
    Joemama likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links