Stop Lights!!
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By old white truck
  • 1 Post By Borneo

Thread: Stop Lights!!

Stop Lights!!

Its getting that time of the year again. So how has everyone been dealing with the ever increasing BS that is magnetic sensor Traffic Lights? Around my area they are putting more IR camera lights in but I still run into the normal "Been sitting here for 10 min and 4 light cycles! Its to time to run the light!". Anyone sporting those magnets that you place under your frame for the sensors to have their magnetic fields disturbed enough to trip it? Been eye balling them up since I have been riding. Was hoping the tech was a little more refined since I last looked into it.

I bought one and put it on a sport motorcycle back in 2003 and the best solution was A. run the light B. Wait for a car/truck. I mounted it on the subframe so that might not have been low enough, but I was done with it and not willing to try a lower mount, it is now floating around the garage some where. Not sure how the light system works but a tiny earth magnet from a hobby store had tons more magnet stick than the so called stoplight magnet I bought.

Quote Originally Posted by IzakGt View Post
    I bought one and put it on a sport motorcycle back in 2003 and the best solution was A. run the light B. Wait for a car/truck. I mounted it on the subframe so that might not have been low enough, but I was done with it and not willing to try a lower mount, it is now floating around the garage some where. Not sure how the light system works but a tiny earth magnet from a hobby store had tons more magnet stick than the so called stoplight magnet I bought.
    Yeah that's what I do too. If I do get a car behind me on a known issue light, I will get my back tire almost past the white line and wave the car up behind me. Love it when the are courteous to give me space but man its only when I don't want them too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    The key with the magnetic switches is that you want the most metal above the wire, not inside the box or circle. When you can see where the wire was cut in and tarred over, you should have few problems. If a square, put your bike right on top of either the left or right edge of the box. If a circle, I usually stop about a foot in from the edges. If they are paved over and you can't see them, well once you master the ones you can see, you can tell where they likely are. It'll roughly be where a car's tires would be. If you put your bike in the middle of the lane, you'll have a hard time tripping them.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Those who ride in Washington State will soon not have to worry about this any more. They will be able to run red lights

Washington motorcyclists will be allowed to run red lights under certain conditions | OregonLive.com

"The motorcycle community’s longstanding wish for a solution was granted on March 31 when Gov. Jay Inslee signed Senate Bill 5141, giving motorcyclists the option of running red lights that rely on ineffective vehicle detection devices.
    When motorcyclists encounter devices that fail to notice their presence, they will be allowed to proceed through the light with “due caution” after one complete cycle."

It's so great to see a state attempt to address this issue.

Thanks OWT!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

If the light doesn't change after one full cycle, the Borneo is gone-e-o
    TWGIRL likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Notify the department responsible for the light. Most will be happy to work with you to solve the problem because it is a liability issue.

Minnesota has the rule where you can roll when it won't change, and it is safe to go.

The sensors in the road are a capacitive type. A large amount of metal changes the capacitance, but magnets do not. The best you can hope for is when you stop over the left or right side of the sensor wire loop.

I agree with Qwerty, report the ones that don't work, as a hazard.
    ~ Brian

Life's too short to be in a hurry... Ride a T-Dub Hidden Content

2013 TW200
    2004 VTX 1300
    Hidden Content The Spirit of the Lizrd Rolls Forever.

Sponosred Links