Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By troll
  • 1 Post By Weebles
  • 1 Post By troll

Thread: An introduction

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada

An introduction

Hi girls and boys! I've been lurking around here for quite awhile and thought I should introduce myself since I just bought a new left over 2013 Tdub.

I've been riding for awhile and currently own a Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z. I have been looking at the Tdubs for a few years and have a bit of a plan for it that a few of you have already helped with unknowingly. I had a Kawi Super Sherpa that I tricked out a bit but sold it a year or so ago so this will replace the Kawi.

I am 63 years on the planet and live in North Western Canada - Whitehorse, Yukon Territory to be exact. I am an expate Yank, was raised in Alaska and immigrated to Canada 24 years ago.

When I start working on the bike I will post the occasional picture and reports. My first two goals are an EFM Auto Clutch and a Clarke 4gal XT350 tank. Of course racks and a skid plate will be part of the plan to. It looks to me like a well kitted-out Tdub needs a Jimbo Shield and hand guards as well.

Once I get a bit of experience with the bike I will be more inclined to wade into the discussions here on the forum. From what I can tell it seems like a pretty nice group with a lot of collective knowledge.

troll a.k.a. karl
    Last edited by troll; 04-14-2014 at 10:55 PM.

Welcome troll...we look forward to some pics of your TW as well as upgrades you make and perhaps some pics of the area that you live...must be some beautiful spots there

rbm
    Hello and welcome!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome. At least I can say I've been to Whitehorse! Stayed at a campground on my way to Alaska. I'd love to see how the EFM auto clutch works on a TW (or any auto clutch for that matter). Seems like it would be a hand thing out on the trail. Pricy, but...

Again, welcome.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Welcome, and congrats!

Here is a thread on the EMF to get you started. If you ignore all the garboo in it, you will see on page 2 that an email was sent to EMF concerning the TW and the response. Glad to have you along for the ride.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...oclutch-2.html

I too have passed through Whitehorse a few times.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Here is a thread on the EMF to get you started. If you ignore all the garboo in it, you will see on page 2 that an email was sent to EMF concerning the TW and the response. Glad to have you along for the ride.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...oclutch-2.html

I too have passed through Whitehorse a few times.
    Thanks for the warm welcome all, and thanks for the link Borneo. I have been in touch with Garry at EFM and have a similar e-mail. The auto clutch is a pricey bit of bling for sure but I thought it would be fun to try one out. My subtle agenda (not really hidden) is to have a bike around that my partner might feel comfortable learning to ride. She really didn't like the clutch on the Super Sherpa and it stopped her from riding it.

If any forum members are headed through Whitehorse on the way up the Alaska Highway give me a shout. I am usually up for a ride, a chat or a beer or two

Very appreciative of your subtle agenda. I am just learning to ride and had a couple of unexpected issues when first trying to shift. The first was that my left hand grip was not strong enough to comfortably pull in the shifter. Basically, it hurt to do it. After switching to using the left hand to squeeze spray bottles, (I use them a lot for work), the problem has gone away. My partner says the TW shift lever is much easier to squeeze than most motorcycles he has ridden, so that helps. The second problem was that the distance between the footpeg and the shift lever was too long. I missed a lot of shifts due to just not reaching the lever. It looked like it had been bent in at some point so his solution was to heat up the lever arm and move it just a bit away from the bike. So shifting is so much less of an issue now. Still miss shifts now and again due to SOD (sudden onset discombobulation). I now enjoy shifting but I drive a stick and am used to shifting manually. Very kind of you to look for a way to make it easier for her! Looking forward to your updates and would really enjoy seeing pictures of the northern barrens, perhaps minus the frozen part until August anyway.

From the soon to be hot and soggy southland.
    Fred likes this.

Thanks Weebles for the support with my subtle agenda. SOD affects us all once in a while... usually very suddenly. I'm sure you can get someone to shorten that shifter so it fits your boot length.
    Fred likes this.

Too bad you are so far away Troll. I just changed both tires on my 1991 that has just 850 miles on it. Both take offs are like new but were old and hard rubber. I saved them thinking if I ever want to ride in ice and snow they are perfect candidates for cold cutter ice screws which I already have. The next step is to buy a parts bike with good wheels so I can mount the old tires and have them ready for ice. At 62 I honestly doubt I will ever do it though because I rather enjoy staying warm by the stove on those cold days.

Welcome to our addiction!

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Sponosred Links