First nice ride after a long cold winter
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GaryL

Thread: First nice ride after a long cold winter

First nice ride after a long cold winter

I finally had 65 degrees here today and after this nasty cold winter and lots of great upgrades to my TWs I finally got one out for a nice ride. I replaced both sprockets, 14/50 with all three seals and a new cover gasket and installed an X ring chain. I put a new Bridgestone TW 34 on the rear and a Shinko 244/5.10 Golden Boy on the front of both bikes. On my 91 I installed the Pro Cycle 19 Kg heavy rear shock spring and I tuned the front forks and changed the fluid. I already had the Moose Racing bark busters but I installed the wind covers over them to help keep my mitts a little warmer. I also installed Pro Taper ATV High bars.

The new tires make a big difference and the Golden Boy up front truly is a winner! Now with 70 miles on them they are feeling real nice and outstanding traction both on the pavement and even better off road. The X ring chain does not seem to rob any power at all. The new bars are just right and I can easily stand on the wide foot pegs when necessary. The stiffer rear shock is a bit too stiff for basic riding but will be a big improvement when I strap on all my gear and head out with the dog in her crate behind me for a nice day of trout fishing. Front forks feel very nice with fresh 10 Wt. fluid and the level set at 135MM.

I can get the bike up to just under 65 on a flat straight and hit 70 going down hill and It will maintain 60 going up hill with no problem. I guess I am about as dialed in as I can possibly be and I don't have any worries that I will need to do any wrenching when I could be out riding. Still have some things to do on my project 88 bike before it is road worthy but should have it going in the next week or two. Hope everyone has a nice summer and safe riding season.

GaryL
    TW-Brian and Leben like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Congratulations Gary, it is nice to hear that were you finally able to get out for a ride after the long hard winter that you've had!

After all the time and money you've put into your bikes, you deserve to be able to enjoy them.

Brian

Sponosred Links