TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

super sherpa any good?

8K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  qwerty 
#1 ·
i know all you guys will say that the TW is better than the Sherpa cause this is a TW forum - but i will ask anyway. Is the Super Sherpa any good? I saw one at the dealership and kinda liked it..

#2 ·
The Sherpa is an excellent 250 cc dual sport bike. They were very hard to find since Kawasaki stopped importing them several years ago. I tried to buy a used one, but every time one came up for sale, it was sold before I could make a call.

I believe last year they were available in Canada, and this year they are back in the US.

Here's (R to L) a TW, a Super Sherpa, and my DR.

jb

#3 ·
I love the Sherpa! It was a close call for me, before I made TW mine. I love the features, look and feel of the Kawi. High quality, low cost beast it is. I say....go for it!

#4 ·
Excellent bikes. The same basic platform was used by the military prior to the current diesel KLR's.

#5 ·
Sometimes I like the military stuff, but the diesel KLR so they can have a 1 fuel battlefield is a waste, everywhere you are there is gas and you can buy a KLR super cheap, Hays diesel, not so cheap. Slower heavier and much more expensive, that's our money they are waisting. The Sherpa is nice but not made to handle a heavy load, and how is the seat? Have you seen the pictures of the TW with a deer strapped to the back?

#6 ·
We'll agree to disagree on the Hayes bike. It's made down the road from me, and it represents the most significant advancement in lightweight small diesels in the last 100 years. No one ever conceived a diesel that size would ever be capable of anything near what theirs does, and development continues.

I rode my own gas KLR next to Mr. Hayes' bike one day and he had no issue keeping up with mine. A 650 that carries 7 gallons and gets 105 mpg under field conditions changes my world considerably, even if it's a bit slower and heavier. I can't wait for this technology to become more affordable and hit the competitive civilian market. It might be one of few uses of my tax dollars that I DON'T find offensive.

The Sherpa's a good unit. Parts are still easy to find, shares a fair amount of parts with its bigger brother and a few other siblings, yada, yada. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

#9 ·
I have both the Sherpa and the TW. Took a ride on both here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626551

Both good bikes. Happy to field any questions about them.

In short, the Sherpa's faster, smoother and taller. Doesn't have the TW's 'X' factor though. When we park them up, no-one cares about the Sherpa!

Since the ride report I've done a few modifications (16l tank and new bars) and it makes it a much better proposition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.