MRGIZMOWS folly
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: MRGIZMOWS folly

MRGIZMOWS folly

I fear I might be getting a reputation as someone that shows up for a ride only to find a reason not to ride. Then again, this might be an opportunity to show folks that when you are handed a lemon, it may be bitter fruit, but it affords you a chance to make lemonade.

The Cow Mountain ride was a memorable experience for all. I met lots of great people, was awed by what others are willing to do to make sure everyone has a safe and positive experience. As well, perhaps afforded an opportunity to put a smile on the faces of others.

This is an attempt to chronicle my little piece of the pie. Lots of editing to keep excerpts short, interesting and pertinent to the bike and my experience. Hope you enjoy. Likely, you will get a sense that it turned out to be a enjoyable way to spend three hours in a gas station parking lot.

As I may be a complete unknown to most, let me assure you, these video's are all done with tongue-in-cheek. I have not and am not selling anything. Apart from the frustration, I am just trying to have fun.
    Gerry

Segment one:

Segment two:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bx6AKnkV7E

Perhaps when I say I am a TW kind of guy, I am suggesting that I am Too Weird..........

Last edited by Gerry; 05-07-2014 at 12:32 PM.
    Take care my Friend.........

Sounds like it is easily fixable! In other words you don't have to split the case. And there will be more rides.......
    Fred likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Gerry, thank you for the peek into MrGizmow's world. I've always enjoyed the innovative way you see TW world.... and it's nice to 'meet' you. Hopefully we'll see more segments.

*edit* oops, I just found the two videos you posted in the Cow Mt thread. Thanks for those too.
    Last edited by Tirebiter; 05-05-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    Fred likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

There is only one way to fix that right, unfortunately it will be expensive. A custom one piece double sprocket where the outer sprocket takes as much of the spline load as possible and the inner is offset on a blind counter. Your way has worked quite a while, but I'd hate to hear that you sheared it out on the road where there is no nearby help, or worse, it causes injury when it lets go.

You may want to get in touch with this guy and explain what you need....
    Unique Offset Front Sprocket Yamaha Made to Order | eBay
    Last edited by TWrider; 05-05-2014 at 10:49 AM.
    Fred likes this.

There is no innovation without risk.
    It was a pleasure to meet you Mr. gizmo.
    Fred and TW-Brian like this.

Jerry's dual sprocket goal is brilliant, and his prototype validated the concept. Just need a better way of joining both sprockets together for greater durability. Mr Gizmo shall ride again!

Gee! I feel like I've known you all my life!
    Rusty

2005 TW200

2005 Triumph Bonneville T100

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Just need a better way of joining both sprockets together for greater durability.

The best way to join them is not to join them (AKA, make two sprockets out of one piece), or If you want to use standard cheap replaceable front sprockets, use the TTR225 or XT200 counter-shaft, and then use a spline collar and doweled extension shaft with two free-floating stock XT225 sprockets separated by aluminum spacers.

The third way is have the TW counter-shaft annealed, and have a machinist extend the splines. The fourth way is (and I have no idea if this would work) assemble it like he has been, but use dowel pins instead of tension pins, make sure the spacer and pins are the right metal, then have the whole thing induction brazed. Just throw it away once it's worn, rinse and repeat.

Gerry,

You were the pioneer of the dual/dual sprocket setup. About how many miles did your first generation design survive?

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links