Remove TW logo from Tank?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    If we were still living in the 70's and I had platform shoes and bell-bottoms I -might- like that ugly TW logo on my '93 TW, but as we are not, I'd really like to remove that thing. Looking at it however, it appears it is almost fused to the tank and likely has a clearcoat paint layer over the top of it.

Short of having the tank completely sanded down to bare metal, if there anyway to remove this? A solid blue tank would be a vast improvement. Yeah, I could replace the whole thing with one of the plastic Clark tanks, but I'd prefer to do this "on the cheap" (Read, under $100) if I can. Ideas??

I have a '94 and you are 100% correct - the awful decal is underneath a clear coat and there is no easy way to get it off. Use patience, a sander and heat gun and you will eventually remove it all.

I just painted over mine, you can see a bit of a wave at the top that is the decal edge, but other than that it looks fine I think:

Before:

After:

On the bike:

And yeah I did paint over the stickers I'm a lazy man who has a Clarke XT225 tank coming. Mostly painted the tank so I could see what black looked like on the machine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PJungnitsch View Post
    And yeah I did paint over the stickers I'm a lazy man who has a Clarke XT225 tank coming. Mostly painted the tank so I could see what black looked like on the machine.

Looks ok from the pics... when you say you painted over the stickers you mean the ones on the plastic other than the tank? I'm lazy too but mine peeled off almost in one piece, very easy... I was surprised. I was also tempted to paint some of the plastic but feared it would be hard to get paint to stick well on that kind of plastic. You painted the plastic parts too?

Eric

By stickers I meant the ones on top, they were very old on my bike and kind of fused on. I used a hammered finish paint that hides surface imperfections somewhat, plus an adhesion promoter to help stick things down.

The plastics were painted with Krylon Fusion, it's working reasonably well although it does chip a bit. I think there is better plastic painting products.

This was the bike in April:

Quote Originally Posted by PJungnitsch View Post
    By stickers I meant the ones on top, they were very old on my bike and kind of fused on. I used a hammered finish paint that hides surface imperfections somewhat, plus an adhesion promoter to help stick things down.

The plastics were painted with Krylon Fusion, it's working reasonably well although it does chip a bit. I think there is better plastic painting products.

This was the bike in April:

I like the 'after" version much better.

I also have a 93 with those god awful pink stickers. The two on side were made quick work with some Carb cleaner and shop rags. Didn't hurt the plastic any. As for the gas tank I thought of a couple different ways to go about it, razor knife, sanding discs, even sand blasting, but before making a big mess I though maybe some paint stripper. I didn't think it would work, I've used paint stripper before and wasn't impressed with the results. Ah, what the hell lets try it. I went down to the local Home Depot and picked some of Citristrip Safer Paint & Varnish Stripper. Wow,after about an hour no more nasty paint job and stickers. Here's a pic of it in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by NK283 View Post
    I also have a 93 with those god awful pink stickers. The two on side were made quick work with some Carb cleaner and shop rags. Didn't hurt the plastic any. As for the gas tank I thought of a couple different ways to go about it, razor knife, sanding discs, even sand blasting, but before making a big mess I though maybe some paint stripper. I didn't think it would work, I've used paint stripper before and wasn't impressed with the results. Ah, what the hell lets try it. I went down to the local Home Depot and picked some of Citristrip Safer Paint & Varnish Stripper. Wow,after about an hour no more nasty paint job and stickers. Here's a pic of it in the works.

Interesting. I'm curious why you didn't take off the gas cap before doing this. I also didn't realize that the tank was made of plastic. Do you have an pics of the job finished with the tank repainted?

I've seen a few that had a sheet of vinyl the same color as the tank and the size of the sticker applied and it looked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginsand View Post
    I've seen a few that had a sheet of vinyl the same color as the tank and the size of the sticker applied and it looked great.
    I believe it was on the old forum I had seen someone spray black rocker/gravel guard over their decals, sort of like the rubber pads they used to put on bikes in the 1960's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links