How do you transport your TW?
Close

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: How do you transport your TW?

I will sometimes want to take my TW to a trailhead without having to ride it there and want to figure out the best way to transport it. I bought a couple of ramps at Harbor Freight the other day and was able to get the bike up one while walking up the other one. I had the TW in first gear with the engine on and used it to help power it up the ramp. It worked, but was a little scary and, as I plan to often go solo, don't want to start a practice that will one day turn ugly.

It's occured to me to get a third ramp, then sit on the bike and ride ip up slowly with a foot on each side ramp. That might be ok going up. Coming down backwards might be a bit hairy though.

I've also seen receiver-mounted carriers which look like they might be a bit more "user-friendly" for solo loading.

What I'd like to engineer would be something that would allow loading the bike onto it at ground level and then with some kind of lever system, raise the bike to bed level. Ever seen anything like that?

What is your preferred method and how would you rank it with regard to safety?

This works, but as I mentioned, a tad scary...

I have loaded the bike both ways you have said. The tw is not too heavy so loaded that way is not too bad. I keep the weight on the left side when riding up and sitting on the bike. You might just use a plank on the right side instead of getting another ramp. You just need something to put your foot on.

They do make a unit that you load an winch it up. I have seen it work. It is real slick and pricy. I wasn[t that interested, so I can't tell you who made it or the price. I just knew I could not aford that type of deal.

jim
    I bought a www.mototote.com

It works and you can load alone but still need to be careful$419.00 no tax no shiping
    Yellow CR likes this.
    Join Oathkeepes.org

Because Home Land Security Begins @ Home: BPAUX.org

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and liberals

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My favorite way is to back the truck up to a hill and drive it on and back it off. Only works if you have a hill around tho...
    Peterb and Yellow CR like this.

Two legs around it.

I have a small 2 rail trailer I bought off Craigslist. It is very light and I tow it with my Honda CRV. It is low to the ground and easy to load. I paid $300 for it and another $200 for the trailer hitch and balls and straps and stuff. The only downside is storage. It does take up room.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by rmartin View Post
    I have loaded the bike both ways you have said. The tw is not too heavy so loaded that way is not too bad. I keep the weight on the left side when riding up and sitting on the bike. You might just use a plank on the right side instead of getting another ramp. You just need something to put your foot on.

They do make a unit that you load an winch it up. I have seen it work. It is real slick and pricy. I wasn[t that interested, so I can't tell you who made it or the price. I just knew I could not aford that type of deal.

The idea of a plank as a third ramp to my right leg to walk up while seated on the bike had occurred to me as is s the cheapest option. Fortunately, the TW is light enough and geared so low that "riding" it up doesn't seem too hairy. Backing down... well, guess I'll have to see...

When I back it down I have done it both ways. On and off the seat.

If I am off the seat, I put my hip against the bike, and lean it toward me, and keep the front brake on, and inch it down. The steepness is the hard part. A ditch as the one guy suggested helps.

You might also try finding a steep ditch to practice backing up.

Gmach and putt-putt like this.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-

If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
    - Hidden Content

I have the crewcab S10 with a short bed...so I placed a 3/4" piece of plywood in the bed and anchored it to the tailgate.

I mostly transport in my Chevy S10 4X4 which is low enough I can walk beside the bike and roll it up the single ramp...drop the kickstand as soon as it gets on the tailgate...then get up in the truck bed and rool it into a frontwheel chock...

I have transported it in my wife's Ford F150...it is a struggle, but I can use the walk up by stretching....if I used her pickup for transport all the time, I would buy one of these ramps I saw in Cyclegear.com website...

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...em=TUC_10-4553
    Ron

Bakersfield, CA

04 Harley Ultra, 06 Victory Hammer, 09 TW200, 07 TTR 125, 07 TTR 50

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links