TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Long time lurker, first time poster

5K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  Fred 
#1 · (Edited)
I guess it is time to finally jump in.

I started following this forum a little over a year ago. That led to checking nearby craigslists for used TW's. I got lucky and snagged a 2005 with only 216 miles on it. Since then, I have made a number of the usual modifications and tweaks discussed here and also have a few more planned. Thanks to all of you for your tips, instructions and suggestions.

I have owned lots of bikes, but this little guy quickly became part of my permanent collection.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Enduro

Brian

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.

Here are some details on how I mounted the fuel bottles. I used 3" Quick Fists - these are transportation grade rubber clamps that were originally designed to hold fire hose nozzles to the side of a fire truck. I bought mine on ebay. They hold a 1 liter fuel bottle very securely. I mounted the Quick Fists to pieces of flat aluminum stock 1.5" wide by 1/8" thick by 5" long. These were then mounted to the forks using the lower triple clamp bolts. This mounting provides clearance for the turn signals and also for the gas tank during full lock turns. See pics below:

Vehicle Bicycle handlebar Automotive lighting Motorcycle accessories Auto part

Automotive lighting Headlamp Motorcycle Tire Vehicle

Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Tire Automotive tire

Light Automotive lighting Headlamp Auto part Tire

The Pelican case is mounted directly on top of the stock rubber pad on the rear fender using the 3 existing mounting locations. I used 6mm thread by 25mm long thumb screws with a rosette style knob for easy installation and removal. I ordered the thumb screws from McMaster-Carr. This mounting works fine for my needs as I don't carry a lot of weight in this case. If you want to carry heavier loads, you would probably want to beef up the rear fender/subframe.

Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Engine Bumper

I then mounted two tool tubes to the sides of the Pelican case. The case that I happened to have was not quite long enough to allow mounting the tool tubes directly to the sides of the case. I had to make up a couple of aluminum mounting plates that I could first mount the tool tubes to and then mount these plates to the sides of the Pelican case. As many of you already know, these tool tubes hold a 1 liter fuel bottle perfectly.

Brian

#9 · (Edited)
Hi Rick,

Mine is a Pelican brand case. I have also seen similar cases under the Caribou brand. You can google either of these or check on ebay to find where you can buy one. I don't remember the exact model that mine is. The inside dimensions are approximately 15" long by 10.5" wide by 6" deep.

Brian

Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Engine Bumper

Auto part Muffler Vehicle Engine Subcompact car

Gun Muffler Auto part Airsoft Firearm

Trunk Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Gas

Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Car

#8 ·
I agree with Peruano.

Nice Bike

#10 ·
I wouldn't want my gas in front of me in case of an accident. Let's say you crash on the asphalt and skid down the highway, the gas can either loses it's cap or gets a hole ground in the canister, you may be covered with gas, ready to ignite because of a hot exhaust. Instead of 2 quarts get a Clarke tank and gain about a gallon.

#14 ·
The site would be a good place for a water bottle or a tool tube tho and moving the gas to the tubes on the rear. Admittedly they are not vertical but a well snugged cap should not leak or vibrate loose and besides you should top that tank as soon as you can create space in the oem tank. There are lots of thinks that can be mounted on those firemans mounts. Tom

#11 ·
#16 ·
Hi DCTW,

That is just a standard copper elbow that is pushed onto the exhaust tip. I have since painted it black to match the exhaust. I got the idea from someone else on this board. It does seem to redirect the exhaust noise somewhat so it is a little less annoying (also adds about 5 horsepower!).

Thanks for the comments,

Brian

#28 · (Edited)
The 1/2" is for massive but peaky power increases, the 3/4" really broadens the mid-range but what Joemama had was the 1" killer torque fitting. Thats why he zoomed to top of Ellis Peak so easily. Foot-pounded his way up. And the final one is for maritime operation, however the dynometer results remain classified. 45 degree bends are sexier than these 90s shown here which provide superior thrust vectoring.:p

Attachments

Reactions: TW-Brian
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.