Push Starting? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Push Starting?

Thanks a lot guys for bringing up push starting ,now I am going to search the net for a cz to beat the young kids with in the pit ,they won't have a clue what beat them let alone what the leather belt is for on top of the coffin tank .I haven't figured out how to deal with somebody else's pictures on my iPad or I would happily throw up a picture of the cz

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
    I am wondering if your technique used to push start your bikes could use some improvement .I used to have a cz 350 falta replica ,when I was 11 ,they have a left side kicker and a down pipe very close to the kicker .When I picked it up ,the former factory racer turned salesman was in a leg cast .He broke his leg kicking my brand new bike in the shop .He said there is no way I could start it ,I was only 11 so I never tried .I raced that bike for two years in mx expert class ,and several years on ice and never ever had a single issue bump starting it no matter what the conditions were like .I would run clutch in in second gear ,and let out the clutch as my ass hit the seat .The jerk from my 200 lbs was enough to get the wheel turning .I would like to know how you guys are doing it compared to me .Unfortunately I have sold my tw so I can't exactly go out and try a few in the pit .I should also say ,the cz was ridden way more hours in practice than racing ,and my practice track was an old open pit mine with an over abundance of soft sand not unlike a desert which in itself doesn't offer suitable traction for push starting yet it always went first try .

I am 77, so my technique is nothing to brag about. I am lucky to even be able to do it. I put the TW in 3rd gear, turn the ignition on, hold the clutch lever and push the bike as fast as I can. Then I quickly throw my leg over the seat and release the clutch lever. It's a little difficult for an old man, but it works okay on pavement or hard dirt. If I can find a significant hill it's much easier. I just sit on the seat and let the TW coast down hill until I get enough speed before I release the clutch. Maybe it would be cheaper to carry a spare battery than to pay $200 for a kick starter.
    CALIMUSJOHN, ZDR1 and Yan like this.

I put a kicker in. Best mod. of all.
    Texas TDub likes this.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Fair enough ! There is a huge difference between a 6'3" 200 lb 11 year old ,and a 77 year old ,I think it's fantastic your out enjoying your bike ,and can only wish we all will be healthy enough to do the same .

Sprague River, Oregon in Summer, Salome, AZ in Winter
    O.M.G. ! Fielding - at 77 - "Throws his leg over" etc. I'm only 75, but literally crawl aboard ! My leg throwing days are long past. I have been lucky enough to use Mother Gravity to propel me and the TW down a hill to "Bump" start. John
    Mel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CALIMUSJOHN View Post
    O.M.G. ! Fielding - at 77 - "Throws his leg over" etc. I'm only 75, but literally crawl aboard ! My leg throwing days are long past. I have been lucky enough to use Mother Gravity to propel me and the TW down a hill to "Bump" start. John

I didn't say it was easy. I was just trying to decide if it was possible had I found myself stranded on the boondocks with a dead battery. It was possible. When I park the bike out of town I park it on the top of a hill . It has a new battery, so maybe I should quit worrying about it anyway.

Quote: Fred
    With no kick starter I give up some of the confidence the TW otherwise gives me, forces me to be either extra cautious or extra nervous when solo exploring off the beaten path. I should get one, I know better. Maybe a ten mile walk some day will convince me to stop procrastinating.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Fred, you said it. "I know better", an old experienced rider such as yourself better get out there and get one. No fooling around, just do it. You're too old to be huffing and puffing and pushing a bike any distance. Heart attacks hurt, so I want to read in your next few posts that you have ordered one. ok my friend?
    Last edited by littletommy; 07-30-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    Fred likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

^^^^^ Fred's ignoring me ^^^^^

Fred likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Leg ,knee or hip problem ,mount the bike via the left footpeg ( peg mounting). Stand on the left side of the TW ( shifter side of the bike ) ,make sure the kickstand is secure in the down position ,grab the front brake lever with your right hand , place left hand on the left handlebar grip . Now ,place left foot on the left footpeg and while still applying pressure on the front brake lever, simultaneously lean forward towards the speedometer ( not to far mind-you) place body weight on left leg and step up.....the right leg then swings over to the right side (just as you would mounting a horse )......being placed on the ground . This also helps if you have a large bag strapped down on the back end . Hope this makes since.....not trying to high-jack the thread .

Back on track . The kickstarter is a valuable "safety" to have on board . Can't wait to get mine.....still have monkey's in my pocket's .
    Last edited by frog13; 07-30-2014 at 06:05 PM.
    Fred likes this.

Tommy is right to scold me. Most serious bad things result from a chain of successive small mistakes. Leave cell uncharged, park in gravity well in backcounrry, leave key on then next thing you know I am afoot vulnerable to hypothermia, cardiac arrest, or being molested by Sasquatch. I can' t always count on a riding buddy like Adam to help.
    Thanks for the sound advice.

P.S. - I just read frog has " monkeys in his pocket". Will they work better than a kick starter or is this autocorrect's attempt at humor?
    Last edited by Fred; 08-04-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    littletommy likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links