Push Starting?
Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Push Starting?

Push Starting?

I was initially a little concerned about the TW200's lack of a kick starter and being dependent on a battery for starting.
    Then I read a comment from OKCShooter about the ease of push starting the bike that eased my mind a bit. He said a three foot push in second gear will start the bike.
    Is the TW200 easy to push start? What is your experience?

It is easy to push start. I had your concern as well having a TW without a kicker.

However, I'll be putting a kicker on very very soon. Reason, hard to push start going uphill on a trail after you've fallen and killed the battery trying to restart it!
    jb882 and Fred like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Push Starting?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    It is easy to push start. I had your concern as well having a TW without a kicker.

However, I'll be putting a kicker on very very soon. Reason, hard to push start going uphill on a trail after you've fallen and killed the battery trying to restart it!
    +1......I have experienced exactly this in the past where I stalled it and killed the battery trying to restart on a hill where I had no chance to turn around. Had to back it down a really steep hill which was a real pain the the you know what. I have also sucked water and killed the battery trying to restart it before. I will be adding a kicker to both of mine this winter.
    Last edited by jb882; 07-29-2014 at 09:59 AM.
    Fred and admiral like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-o View Post
    If you are in loose dirt -- that is a low traction situation -- it is very difficult to push start. In my experience the back wheel skidded.

A kick start is not only good for emergencies, but if your battery decides to die on the day all your friends are going on a ride, if you have a kick start you can still go. That is from personal experience.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I also recommend adding a kick starter, it's a shame they dropped it from the 2001 and newer bikes. It's not hard to retrofit though, and you can buy kits for around $200. This link shares the source.
    admiral likes this.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-o View Post
    I was initially a little concerned about the TW200's lack of a kick starter and being dependent on a battery for starting.
    Then I read a comment from OKCShooter about the ease of push starting the bike that eased my mind a bit. He said a three foot push in second gear will start the bike.
    I have push started mine a few times, however to do it required 3rd gear. In 2nd gear mine just slides the wheel. I had only done it on pavement. Last Saturday I decided to try it out on a dirt road. It was much more difficult to get enough speed, because even in 3rd gear it would slide the wheel. I had to get enough speed that I could jump on and then release the clutch. That way I was able to push start it, but it was not easy. Then I drove it onto a sandy trail and after many attempts I simply was unable to start the TW. So this tells me I have no back-up way to start this machine with a dead battery if I am riding off-road. It needs a kick starter.
    Last edited by fielding; 07-29-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    Fred likes this.

With no kick starter I give up some of the confidence the TW otherwise gives me, forces me to be either extra cautious or extra nervous when solo exploring off the beaten path. I should get one, I know better. Maybe a ten mile walk some day will convince me to stop procrastinating.

Buy a kicker, it's good insurance for a dead battery.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Fred, you said it. "I know better", an old experienced rider such as yourself better get out there and get one. No fooling around, just do it. You're too old to be huffing and puffing and pushing a bike any distance. Heart attacks hurt, so I want to read in your next few posts that you have ordered one. ok my friend?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    With no kick starter I give up some of the confidence the TW otherwise gives me, forces me to be either extra cautious or extra nervous when solo exploring off the beaten path. I should get one, I know better. Maybe a ten mile walk some day will convince me to stop procrastinating.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I am wondering if your technique used to push start your bikes could use some improvement .I used to have a cz 350 falta replica ,when I was 11 ,they have a left side kicker and a down pipe very close to the kicker .When I picked it up ,the former factory racer turned salesman was in a leg cast .He broke his leg kicking my brand new bike in the shop .He said there is no way I could start it ,I was only 11 so I never tried .I raced that bike for two years in mx expert class ,and several years on ice and never ever had a single issue bump starting it no matter what the conditions were like .I would run clutch in in second gear ,and let out the clutch as my ass hit the seat .The jerk from my 200 lbs was enough to get the wheel turning .I would like to know how you guys are doing it compared to me .Unfortunately I have sold my tw so I can't exactly go out and try a few in the pit .I should also say ,the cz was ridden way more hours in practice than racing ,and my practice track was an old open pit mine with an over abundance of soft sand not unlike a desert which in itself doesn't offer suitable traction for push starting yet it always went first try .

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links