Campfire Storys: THe Scary but true stories of TW200 Whipes
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Campfire Storys: THe Scary but true stories of TW200 Whipes

Campfire Storys: THe Scary but true stories of TW200 Wipes

Lets all Tell Each other stories of when we Have had our TW's Dropped/laid down when Riding them. (Or you can tell stories of your other bikes TOO!)

I will go first. When I was a little kid my dad got a Tw200 in 2004. He got a 03 model. It was brand new! I was Happy dad got one. He Tried to teach me how to ride it in our back yard. Well I 10 years old. I was about 4' 11'' (I think I was taller IDK) I had to stand on my tip toes to Reach the Ground. Well my dad showed me how to use the clutch as he walked beside me when I rode it. When I got comtitibal Taking off from my tip toes I Got beter and better. THan I Thought while dad was inside... I assumed I had permission to ride it on the road. Soo I went out the gate and road it on our road. Little did I realize the soft sandy road was Dry and when I took off 15 feet the bike Sunk and I fell over. The bike fell over on top of me. a Neighbor ran out and got it off of me. Dad Was PISSED!!! I bent the clutch lever. Well later that night After my dad Was upset at me, he went to bed.. but left the key in the TW. I was like..... Maybe JUST ONE MORE TIME Well I go the other way.... and I sink again. It falls on me again. I Just bent the Brake lever :/ (yep I'm Dead) I Crawl out of it. and Realize.... I need to pick this thing UP! I think I hide this accident tonight. Well I Heave and I hoe and I fianly Get it up on its Tires. I push it inside the gate with the engine off. Well I Go to put the bike down... and I put the kick stand down... I put the bike down in the grass... and little did I know... THe side was over Soft wet soil..... I walk inside and the bike falls over in the grass. Breaking the Clutch lever. I Heave and I hoe again... and I make sure its on the Concrete slab. Well I sure as hell get it in the morning. My dad Interigates me why the Brake lever is Bent. I had to tell him everything. I couldn't sit down for 3 hours. Since I couldn't sit down because of Resoultion... I had to Replace the levers with him.

Than lets fast forword to 2008. I Was in middle school. I gained about a foot in height and I could out my feet down now. I Would ride the bike time to time. Well it was spring break, and I wanted to do something. I was bored. It was muddy outside on our dirt road. Well dad was at work and I realize the key is still in the TW and I figure... "A'hh I will go for a ride." I didn't get my dads persmisison to use it. he was at work. I start it up I was wearing shorts. I Get on it put my helmet on and I go through mud puddles. Well I was going 20 miles an hour down my road when I THought "Im going to go through This BIG MUD PUDDLE like a PRO!" I go through it at 25 Little did I know, Last night all the ATVS were Playing in it. THey Just put SOME HUGE ruts in it. Well I go through the puddle and Didn't realize the Rut made my bike sink down 3 FEET!. (at the same time I didn't know there was a rut in it. I knew there was one 2 weeks later when the puddled dried up) THe bike loses traction and at 25 MPH when I go through it the water retards a lot of the speed. I End up slowing down so fast THat my helmet hits the little cross bar ontop of the handle bar and breaks my Facesheild. THan... YEP you guessed it!!! the bike falls ontop of me!. Now LIttle did I know me wearing shorts was a bad idea here. It pins my leg. and Im kinda Underwater. I Swaddle out of the puddle with a 3rd degree burn. I Didn't care about my burn. I was worried about getting the bike home. I go back into the puddle and I Lift it up and start the eingine and walk it out of the rut. I get on it And haul ass home. I wash the bike off. there was no damage to it. I wanted to make sure it was clean. I just wanted to make a lie and say I burnt myself making a fire in the back yard. I kept the burn hidden. Well that was until I started getting a High fever. The next day it was Blistering and IT was getting infected. I didn't want to go to the hospital. My dad Comes home however early and Sees me in shorts on the couch with my burn exposed. He asked me what happened. I told him I made a fire but my story Lacked evidence. He walks out to the bike and I follow him and he wipes his figure on the exhast and finds dried Skin on it. (DAMN IT I FORGOT to wash THAT!) He told me Im going to he hospital. I go there and I had no punishment. Luckly I was In enough pain from the accident that paid debt of my punishment

The next time I get in a accident was this year. I just got my endorsement. I been riding a scooter for a while from when I was 17 to 18. I had a girlfriend I would tote on it. I had a 87 Honda Elite CH80. My dad some how had a friend in the DMV be able to pass it off as a 49cc. I rode that for a while until I I was 18 that's when he traded it for a broken 250 Ninja. I help him fix it and I kinda Ride it to work Unendorsed. My dad all of a sudden gets an offer from a friend and trades the ninja for a racecar. (THAT TRADE SUCKED FOR ME!) Well I ride my bicycle 10 miles to work every day for a year. Well when I hit 20 I get the TW in my name as a birthday present and I get to take the endorment class. After the class I start riding a lot on the road with it. When Bike week came I took my girlfriend with me to Daytona on it. Well I get in a wreck at 10MPH. It was my fault.... I saw a Hot biker chick who was half naked walking down the Side walk on A1A almost to Daytona. I was 5 miles from it when I see her. I Ask myself inside my head "Is that even legal whats she wearing? I stair at her and Notice shes wearing Fishnets as some shirt and her bra is like cut in certain spots with scissors. Her pants... were like not pants It was just a Black Biki bottem. While I'm looking at her a car pulls out infront of me. My girlfriend Pulls my arm I change the channel to "The Road Channel". But half a second later the "Discovery Channel" Comes on. I see the road with a car that im about to run into. I apply my brakes I slow down fast from 30 MPH to 10 that's when I don't quite make it.. I end up realizing this and Aim for the Grass. I end up busting out the ladys Tail light with my knee. We fell over when we stopped My girlfriend was okay but I didn't know my knee was bleeding heavly. I see blood on my sock but I ignore it. me and the lady exchange information. (I didn't have insurance). Well I promised my girlfriend that I was taking her to Daytona today. I Wasn't going to let this Stop us. (Side story I didn't tell her why I was taking her, but The real reason It was going to be the last date. I was going to break up with her... But Stay tuned!!!)

We ride 4 miles than we enter Daytona. I stop at a Gas station to fill up that's when my knee itches. I look at it and find Shards of the Tail light in my knee. I remove them fast than I dicover that a flap of skin is hanging off my knee. I close my eyes and SCREAM the F word. I wasn't going to let this Injury send me to the hospital. I Denied it with her. I rode us to main street. we went down it, 3 laps through it and went home. I took I 95 home. I get to my town and than I go to the hospital with her. Than I told her Qoute: "why I didn't want us to Cancel the date just was This was going to be out last date. I wanted to break up with you. But after what happened today I cant break up with you Im giving you another chance." Well she was pissed at first but when she went in with me to get stiches She asked me if I ever had stiches before. I told her no. She smiled and said: "your forgiven!" (Damn it karma is a bitch that numbing agent HURT!!!!) Well when I got home I had to tell my dad what happended and he laughed his ass off. he said: "Never Take your eyes off the road. If you have to Look at a girl and stair Just make a U turn and just Walk your bike beside her making small chat next time" Than the next day I had to take the shifter off. It was hard to bend my leg so I laid down and took it off. I took it off and hammered the shifter back into shape from when I clipped her bumper with it. I put it back on and Called in sick to work. took 3 days of resting and now I could slightly walk with a limp and go to work. I had to Push shoping carts inside Im a Bagger at a Winn Dixie. Heres what I learned: Never take something without permission Bad stuff happens. 2. Im not invinceibal on this bike I can get hurt. 3. Never take you eyes off the road. 4. Motorcycles accidents are supposed to THrow people apart..... Not bring them together (I dated her for 3 more weeks but she blew it again)

These storys are Storys of times I damaged my TW. What are your Storys?
    Last edited by Blackfire17; 08-15-2014 at 02:24 AM.
    evan and elime like this.

Blackfire, it sounds like the motorcycle gene runs strong in you. "Born to Ride" could be your motto. To reduce stories of damage to you and your sweet TW you may want to eventually invest in handguards and protective riding gear. I have a big collection of bent, broken levers and scars on my legs before I discovered a little armor for me and the bike.
    Girls or bikes? Hard to keep eyes on just one at a time since both can be so deliciously attractive.
    Good story though.

Went riding with the grandsons. They took me down some pretty rough trails for a grandpa. I was in the rears. All went well until I slipped into a deep rut and laid the TW on it's side. I finally got my leg out from under it. It was an uphill lift to get the TW back on it's tires from that position and it's pretty heavy for an old man. I tried several times, but didn't get it up. Then I heard the boys coming back to find me, so I gave it my all, and put TW back upright. I started it, jumped on and was moving forward just in time to meet the boys, so they never found out I dumped it. I bandaged my leg when I got home.
    Last edited by fielding; 08-15-2014 at 04:10 PM.
    Fred likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by fielding View Post
    Went riding with the grandsons. They took me down some pretty rough trails for a grandpa. I was in the rears. All went well until I slipped into a deep rut and laid the TW on it's side. I finally got my leg out from under it. It was an uphill lift to get the TW back on it's tires from that position and it's pretty heavy for an old man. I tried several times, but didn't get it up. Then I heard the boys coming back to find me, so I gave it my all, and put TW back upright. I started it, jumped on and was moving forward just in time to meet the boys, so they never found out I dumped it. I bandaged my leg when I got home.
    Classic! Good for you!

I have a picture somewhere of Tdub tossing me in the mud. Of course, deliberately riding down into knee-deep mud because a KLR just got pulled out isn't a smart idea on a temperamental beast like Tdub. Got her fired back up and rode her down the ditch the KLR got stock in trying to ride across.

No picture, but Tdub tossed me off when she didn't want to do a rockpile of a nearly vertical two-track, but some kind words convinced her to conquer the hill just to show the BMW it could be done in both directions.

So no one else wants to Share their Share of TW Drops or any motorcycle drops?
    I want to Climb Mtn Dew one day with my TW200

Okay, if you insist. XL250 drop: Couldn't sleep so rode to truck stop 15 miles from home for chili about 01:00. Riding home across 2 lane 65mph highway on levee across river bottom. Nothing but fields either side. No lights, for miles, low stratus clouds blocking any light from the sky. Nothing shows in mirrors, when with no warning my feet are yanked forward and I'm flipped on my back, feel my head hit something hard (windshield), then the sensation of free fall as the driver slams on the brakes and I fly off the front of the car. Felt the impact landing flat on my back on the pavement, then lights out. Woke up in the hospital, 6 hours later, doctors surprised I was still alive. Seems the car ran over me, a 1970 Cadillac Sedan Deville, and the K-member smashed into my helmet at an estimated 100+mph. Needed surgery to put the pieces of my skull back in place, another surgery to put my knee cap back where it belonged, another surgery to bolt a brace to immobilize my broken neck. Various other bruises and rashes from being wadded up into a ball under a speeding Cadillac. The next day my wife tried to bring some excellent pulled pork for a treat, but a nurse smelled it and told her no, so she went home, rode the Sportster back to the hospital, helped me out the window, and we rode on home to eat 'que. When the docs tell you you'll never walk again, don't believe them.

Turns out the cager was running from the cops and had lights off, hit a power line tower about 2 miles after hitting me and died. Fortunately it was his grandmother's car and she had good insurance.

Damn qwerty I'm glad you are able to tell that story. They say you can't kill a XR, but I'm guessing it didn't make it?

I don't have a lot of motorcycle experience. About 4-6 weeks. I recently finished a safety class that showed us how to deal with a situation that I was in today. Too bad the correct maneuver never crossed my mind....

My plan was to take the TW on a nice ride on Ridge road north of Boise. Spots along that road, you can see the whole valley. I take my jeep up on there all the time, its just a dirt two track. The weather was going to be perfect. It would be the first time I had the TW in the dirt.

It's ten miles across town until I hit dirt road. I'm about two miles from it and am making a left on a green arrow from a left turn lane onto a road that has two lanes in each direction. Some guy slightly in front of me was in the lane to go straight through the intersection. He then proceeds to turn left anyway at the last minute and it would have been fine had he turned into the right-most lane, but he came into the left-most lane right where I was. Probably would have been alright had I remembered the training and straightened the bike before hitting the brakes, but panic set in, I hit the brakes in the turn and was on the ground instantly.

So, once everything stopped, I jump up, mad as hell. I pushed the bike off the road so traffic could move again. Took a few minutes to collect my wits and wrapped a handkerchief around my knee. I then checked the bike over and it was fine except for a few scratches and the left turn signals are a bit bent. I got on, started her up and continued on my trip. I was pretty good until I got back to civilization. Once I was around cars again, I was extremely leery of anyone and everyone was out to get me (it seemed). A total of 45 miles after I fell, I was back home. I then went and got checked out.

My elbow has a bit of a rash on it, but should be good in a couple days. My knee got a good gouge that required 5 stitches. So, tonight, I'm laying here with a swelled up, stitched up, sore leg. My helmet never hit the ground, no scratches on it at all. This was all at a low speed, probably 10-15MPH, but still scary.

As much as I'd like to blame the guy that turned when he shouldn't have, I realize it's my fault that I went down. I should have had better situational awareness and I sure as heck shouldn't have hit the brakes in a turn.
    Doug

2004 TW200
    1969 Bronco
    1963 CJ3B

I haven't dropped the TW yet, but my wife dropped hers riding in a washed out spot and hitting the side. She said something about the bike not feeling right afterwards with no other details, turned out she pushed the clutch lever in far enough to hit on the pod and not allow the clutch to fully disengage... Details! Now she has hand guards!

I started riding on a Kawasaki KE-100 back in 1985. I broke the rear shocks early on and replaced them with a set from a 175 dirt bike.
    I put that bike through hell after that, getting air whenever possible and hitting every trail I could find. After a wonderful day riding some trails at an old quarry (http://www.google.com/maps/place/38%...!3m1!1s0x0:0x0) and staying a bit later than my friends, I left by an "entrance" at the back on a narrow spot between one quarry and the road that had a little hill down to the road. I didn't hear anyone coming and being yet a novice I just rolled down the road into the highway, meeting a 55 mph GMC S-15 headlight-front fork.
    They had managed to nail the brakes right before impact, so they were sliding somewhat sideways at the time so my helmet and leg left imprints in the door as I was propelled off the bike and several feet down the road.
    Nothing was broken, but the radiologist felt my hatred as he made me hold the most painful positions possible, and thank God for T-tops for the ride home. I had some pretty good rash too, not really enough to scar though. For a first crash, it turned out pretty good. The owners of the pickup even straightened up the bike for me, and I had it for another year after that. That little bike was the only thing I had that would start one 15 degree morning, and I rode it 3 miles with no leathers to get to work...

BTW, I had my car (just like the pic below) on those trails too, and went in and out through the same spot!!

1979+Plymouth+Fire+Arrow+Mitsubishi+Celeste+Fastback+Coupe+1.jpg
    Last edited by btrnrsntfl; 08-23-2014 at 08:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links