Intro
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Intro

Intro

Hi guys, name's Andy and hail from sunny South Africa.

As long as I can remember, I've been a keen huntsman and outdoors person which in later years sparked my interest in 4x4 off-road adventures. (Have for some years been a moderator / admin on a 4x4 forum and currently chairperson of a national 4x4 club.)

As far as hunting goes I have a bitter distaste for the practice of flushing game out with dogs or beaters and the like, much preferring the 'walk and stalk' discipline. As a younger dude walking 15 kilometres a day over what was often rugged / mountainous terrain was commonplace, but as the hair greyed and wrinkles became more lined I've become more dependant on my trusty Hilux (known as a Tacoma in some parts of the world) to move myself from one area to another as well as recovering carcasses. Now I'm getting even lazier (sounds better than 'older') and am resorting to two wheels to haul my butt about in the veld so that I don't have to walk that far.

I've had some bikes in my day (tourers mostly) and never really took to dirt bikes, but now that I've been looking for one, the TW caught my fancy. Classified more as a 'farm bike' than a dirt bike over here, I like it's relative compact stature and of course the fat 'takkies' (tyres) add to it's allure. Being small enough and relatively light weight means it can be hitched to the back of the truck and carted along, not only on hunting trips, but on sight-seeing / explorative outings as well. In my eyes, Yamaha, like Honda, have proved themselves for reliability (much like my Hilux), and the TW having been around for more than 20 years is proof of its popularity and success. So my choice of wheels was basically made for me.

Being a spendthrift and a practical person, I wasn't keen on putting a new bike into the bush, so it had to be second hand. The problem was to find one at a reasonable price - not that easy over here, those that have tend to hang on to them. Eventually in desperation I settled for a real fixer-upper, a '95 model that's really been pulled through the bush backwards and bastardised ...... but the price was favourably in line with it's condition, so there's a reasonable budget for repairs.

This is where you guys with your knowledge and experience with these bikes come in ..... Yeah, I'll be tapping into that and asking some questions along the line when I can set tine aside to do a complete rebuild. Hopefully I won't become a nuisance.

Will post a pic or two later.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Welcome Andy, we'll help all we can.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Nice little bio. Congrats on the bike, and welcome to the forum/family.....
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the welcome and the willingness to help.

The bike runs, smokes a tiny bit (a lot less than me) and it's so little that it's not an immediate concern. First question - it bucks a little when engaging first gear even though the clutch lever is fully in, don't think it's the cable adjustment as there is very little slack on it in the 'relaxed' position. Can the clutch itself be adjusted? Is it on it's way out?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome!
    Like the HiLux you will find the TW is good for multitasking. It doesn't demand that you just ride and do nothing else. Some of us hunt, fish, patrol ditches and farmland with our bikes. You probably made a very good choice.
    Might your bike have been using engine oil not rated for wet clutches? This might help account for your reported clutch symptoms. If so it may become less grabby engaging first gear with fresh synthetic oil rated for wet clutches. We often use a Mobil 4T but use whatever is locally available and/or recommended by local bike shop. Perhaps the cable itself is stretched a bit so that while seemingly well adjusted at the lever for little slack there may not be much lever travel left to actuate clutch. Good luck. Post any questions you wish, especially if you entertain us with an adventurous photo now and then.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Welcome Andy,

When I saw this post I thought you may be the guy I passed (for the first time) yesterday on an older 'dub.
    Sadly not, I am up in Durban, and also willing to help where I can, although I am not super handy with a wrench, most of the other guys will take care of that.

On the bucking, maybe it's a Yamaha South Africa set-up issue? My 2013 with full service history does the same, although only when she's cold or has stood for a couple of days. Usually just a lurch as you engage first.
    Kinda odd.

Keep us posted on the bike, it's nice to see other South Africans!
    Finally picked up a Tdub...

rbm
    Hello and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Dog View Post
    Thanks for the welcome and the willingness to help.

The bike runs, smokes a tiny bit (a lot less than me) and it's so little that it's not an immediate concern. First question - it bucks a little when engaging first gear even though the clutch lever is fully in, don't think it's the cable adjustment as there is very little slack on it in the 'relaxed' position. Can the clutch itself be adjusted? Is it on it's way out?

Thanks in advance.
    Welcome. I believe my son's girlfriends mother is from South Africa. She has a bit of an accent still, so I just might actually know someone from S.A. Anyway, my TW too jumps a bit when I put it into first gear, but only happens when it's been sitting overnight. After the first start up of the day it will no longer do that. I suspect the clutch plates stick together a tad. Nothing to worry about if that's the only time it does it. Proper TW lubricant is used.

Welcome again Mud Dog and take care.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thanks for the additional welcomes!

Truth be told, it only arrived yesterday by courier and I have not even examined it properly. I think I may have found something that could be contributing to the issue - it's not the cables, pretty sure of that (after the first mm or two of 'creep' the lever at the box starts to move). What I've picked up on closer inspection is that the return spring on the lever at the box, although there, is fubar - the bottom 'hook' is missing - so it's not serving the purpose it's supposed to and the lever may not be being fully returned. Will get a replacement spring and report once fitted.

Adventure pics, huh? ..... hmmmm .... will have to have a look after work.

Welcome aboard Andy. I've spent considerable time knocking about in the Drakensbergs and the tribal lands surrounding the Kruger. I'm a rather "keen huntsman" myself. It's fun for all of us to have members from other countries. Thanks for joining.

Attachment 13707
    Last edited by Borneo; 02-05-2015 at 05:22 AM.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links