Ultimate MX Hauler + TW = not ideal.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ultimate MX Hauler + TW = not ideal.

Angry Ultimate MX Hauler + TW = not ideal.

Sadly, I spent an exorbitant amount of money an the UMXH and a 4" drop adapter and I'm about 85-92.3% certain this just isn't going to work out right. For those that have ever considered it, here is the primary issue, platform height. I have a 2006 Toy 4R, without the use of the 4" drop the platform, when lowered, sits ~15" high. The base of the TW sits ~11". Bring in the 4" drop adapter and now its at the proper height. Secondary issue, the width. While I only inserted the peg bolt on the right side of the platform, with the bolt going through the innermost part of the peg, it will barely provide enough room to get the left side in, as the bolt sits to the outside limits of the slot in the platform. Tertiary issue, while the bike is not extremely heavy and I'm a moderately fit 46yo, the amount of finagling that has to occur, I believe, will exceed my patience. If 2 ppl were to do this, it would be relatively quick, provided everything lines up as it should, but the alignment is mere speculation atm. For one person, as I will be the only one on my upcoming 3600mi roadtrip, may be far from worth it. Fifthiery, the 4" drop also extends the entire rig out, by my guesstimation, an additional 4" or so......which is kind of far from the back of the vehicle.

SO.........as it stands, there may be a real chance I will have to offload this. Firstly, I will check with guys at work, hoping they take pity on me and buy it at a considerable loss to me, if not, I may be reaching out to this community to see if there is any interest for those that do have MX bikes.

All this is, is just a lesson learned and an FYI!

TW-Brian likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post

One flaw....the platform DOES NOT sit that low, besides the fact that the vehicle in those pictures is sitting on a slight decline at the peak of the driveway, so that instance it could work.....put all of that on a level surface......

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Borneo, thanks for digging up that thread! I had forgotten that I had posted that info on the Ultimate MX Hauler.

Nunya, I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are having. You will see in the thread above that Borneo dug up that I successfully used one of these haulers on my Toyota 4Runner. Is your vehicle lifted?

I got rid of my Ultimate MX Hauler and have continued to use my Moto Jack Rack carrier primarily because of the difficulties with the Ultimate MX Hauler footpeg securement bolts - especially if you are using the stock TW footpegs. Larger footpegs make it somewhat easier but it still involves a lots of screwing around to get the TW positioned perfectly. The Moto Jack Rack design is much more flexible and easier to use.

I would recommend against using any adapter that extends the carrier/bike farther out from the back of the vehicle. That just significantly increases the load on the hitch which is probably already over the allowable limit for a stock 4Runner. An alternative might be to use some boards or wood blocks to roll the TW onto to raise it up rather than trying to lower the carrier.

I believe that the Ultimate MX Hauler can be made to work with the TW, but as your title says, it is clearly less than ideal.

Yeah my initial reply was cryptic, but I was in a big hurry and I wanted to get you the information that Brian had experience with that unit.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Nunya, I am in same boat as you with my newly aquired Motojack as far as dificulty loading onto platform. I thought it would be a super improvement, maybe not. I shall experiment driving onto some boards that I can then slide bike off of onto Motojack platform. I have tested it only in driveway on two vehicles. One has the platform at same height as skid plate and entailed dragging bike across skid plate while tires drug on gravel drive, lots of effort. Other vehicle has receiver higher and while I had to lift bike onto platform at least tires were not dragging on ground interfering with my finessing foot peg alignment. Mastering all this shall be a learning process, I hope you find a happy solution. If it entails modifying the securing system from UltimateMX Hualer style to Motojack style it might be worth the effort. Good Luck. I will go dig up some 2x6 scraps and test parking on them first ( 3 stacks of two 2x6s, two per wheel plus two for side stand to keep everything level...may resemble some silly circus act).
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

The thing is, I need to find something that's not going to be a headache......I'm 2 months away from driving across country and need a "sort of" easy way........I thought this would be less effort than the standard roll on/roll off like HF, but I"m starting to question this. Don't take this as trying to find a lazy way, but atm, I'm not having a whole lot of confidence in this solution. Plus i'm trying to figure out how the UMX anti-wobble gimmick works, if it even does...

Yo Nunya: If you have your truck or car hooked up with tow bar and electrics: DON'T spend money on a trailer. For about 15 or so a day you can rent a motorcycle trailer from any of the major rentals. Unless you are hauling all the time, ask yourself about the benefit. The roll on camper style(side ways to vehicle) is the only option that makes sense if you have the vehicle that can handle it and you travel all the time with your motorcycle in tow(that of course being a TW200).
    Last edited by dogonit; 03-14-2015 at 04:34 PM.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

The UMX is not for everyone. It is expensive. I found mine on Craigslist for 1/2 price from a disgruntled buyer. I like it for a couple specific reasons and do not like for for a couple others.

Dislikes:
    My 2006 Ford 150 sits high and I either need to lift the bike up onto the pad or put in a drop hitch. The pad sits about 2" too high to clear the bottom of the TW. A drop hitch adds some wobble and more pieces.

I solve it buy either having someone help me to lift the bike or, usually, backing the truck up to a slight incline so that the ground is a few inches higher behind the wheels. Unloading works the same way. Find a high bank (2 to 3 inches is enough for me. Results may vary pickup to pickup). Back up. Lower platform and unload bike.

Second problem? The hitch itself is heavy. Putting it in the receiver is not for one with back issues.

I like how the bike sits once it is raised although I do put a "shim" (1" X 1/2"x 12") wooden stick along the back edge of the platform to make the bike ride more level. It just looks better. I am sure it is fine as it sits.

I can easily access the back of the truck without moving the bike.

My raft or pontoon boat will sit on the truck bed topper and over the bike.

It works. Sometimes I travel 300 to 500 miles before the bike is unloaded. It sits there and NEVER moves. NO "drop hitch", however.
    TW-Brian likes this.

In order to facillitate loading, and especially to be able to open rear doors fo my van and truck I had a 4" drop welded to my 2" reciever tube with enough gussets to hopefully be secure. If I show up in Moab without the bike then the welds must have been inadequate and the TW got dropped somewhere along Hwy50, america's lonliest highway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links