Grates/Grated roads or bridges.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Grates/Grated roads or bridges.

Grates/Grated roads or bridges.

So, driving home from seattle yesterday, crossing over the Hood Bridge, I started looking close at the grating.......has anyone ridden over something like that? How does the TW handle that?

If it's grating similar to the bridges I'm familiar with, no big deal, a bit of wander. Kinda cool to look down at the water. Mackinaw Bridge to the UP is fun to ride the grating.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

+1 on that. The bridge to get anywhere from my town has the metal grating for quite a while, probably over a quarter mile. On most tires the bike just wallows around a bit but not at all an issue. I did have one set of knobbiest on my DR650 that were horrible on it in the rain, but that was the only instance in many years. It is great to watch boats going under, it reminds me of being on the back of my Dad's Honda 305.
    Fred likes this.

Keep your head up and focus on the far end of the bridge. Stay loose and hold a steady speed like on any other slippery surface. Just let the bike wander as it wants--bikes ride themselves better than you ride bikes.

Rickhem likes this.

I've rode over the canal bridge before Drew, it's really not that bad, you only have "full on" grating on the west side, the east side has the concrete strips between the grating where a car's tires would run. Plus it's only a 40 MPH. But yeah like Q said. keep your head up and focused.

Will

The BIG Mac is a blast to ride on.. When the wind is blowing from the west riding past those towers can be a real "RUSH" Road level is about 200' above the water.. Top of the towers is 500' Many years ago a Yugo blew off and killed the driver. They have people drive others car over if they are freaked out. Maybe that's the job I need.... OMM.
    Borneo likes this.

I don't think I'd like to ride on the Mac lol, I helped build the Tacoma Narrows Bridge and I know how windy it gets out there. DSC00316.JPGDSC00320.JPGDSC00322.JPG
    The old bridge deck is about 250' off the water. These pics were from around 2002. The wind will hit 35 to 50 regularly on the bridge but seen 80 mph gusts at 575' at the top of my tower crane . A buddy snapped a pic of me placing elevator tower on the north leg of the east caisson. Some of you may remember Galloping Gertie the old film of the original Narrows bridge collapse. The green bridge is the existing bridge that replaced Gertie and the new one that was under construction shows us building the new tower legs.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...1C110379BC596A
    Ride THAT on a bike and I'll buy you a drink! If you don't end up in the drink.
    Ebbanflood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hekkler View Post
    I don't think I'd like to ride on the Mac lol, I helped build the Tacoma Narrows Bridge and I know how windy it gets out there. DSC00316.JPGDSC00320.JPGDSC00322.JPG
    The old bridge deck is about 250' off the water. These pics were from around 2002. The wind will hit 35 to 50 regularly on the bridge but seen 80 mph gusts at 575' at the top of my tower crane . A buddy snapped a pic of me placing elevator tower on the north leg of the east caisson. Some of you may remember Galloping Gertie the old film of the original Narrows bridge collapse. The green bridge is the existing bridge that replaced Gertie and the new one that was under construction shows us building the new tower legs.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...1C110379BC596A
    Ride THAT on a bike and I'll buy you a drink! If you don't end up in the drink.
    Nice job to have Hekkler. I bet you love the view from there. That video amazes me every time I see it. Wow.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Yep the winds can be impressive on Mackinaw Bridge. I've been stuck on both sides a couple of times due to the bridge being closed for high winds. I didn't hear the Yugo story, but I was told by a toll guy that a camper blew off once. I guess my technique of riding on the grate while looking down is not the approved method.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links