Safety brake flasher
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Safety brake flasher

Safety brake flasher

For a number of years I have been using a brake light flashing module in conjunction with an additional brake light. The product that I have installed on two different bikes is banded as the "Back Off" flasher. It has worked great and the install was straight forward.

As I recently purchased a 125cc scooter for around town, time came for another flasher install. Had no reason not to choose another Back-Off unit, but stumbled upon another option while perusing Amazon. This new find is very small. As well, simple to install. Should you be particularly daring, you also have 100's of flashing times and sequences to reprogram the unit to. Reviews have been very positive. Though dirt simple, the programing can leave you befuddled if you are not inclined to learn 'morse-code'. I just stayed with the factory sequence, and that seems great to me. In addition to its small size, and programmability my new find was about $15 less. Gerry

jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Take care my Friend.........

Brake light flashers are great additions. They work best with LEDs as they blink on and off almost instantly, while incandescents fade in and out at a relatively sedate pace.

My opinion, and all that, but I recommend the Whelen LED strobe lights. I have one in red with a clear lens. Very unnoticeable until you hit the brakes. To test, I had DW follow me with our helmet intercoms. When I hit the brakes, I could see her lit up in her car behind me. She reported back that she needed a welding mask before further testing could proceed...

I can't find it quick in clear lens, but it is the TIR3 series. this is what mine looks like;

It has 3 LED's in there and about 3"x1" in size.

They are not cheap, but they are arguably the best. Just about every Law, Fire, Emergency vehicle in the country uses this brand. These are the type hidden in the grill of unmarked cars. The flash rate can be changed. I have mine set to strobe slow, then speed up, then repeats. The faster it blinks, the more urgent the light seems to be warning on-comers. Here is a red lens version on Amazon;
    http://www.amazon.com/Whelen-Enginee...d+strobe+clear
    Last edited by NoHair McNair; 03-15-2015 at 03:41 PM.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NoHair McNair View Post
    My opinion, and all that, but I recommend the Whelen LED strobe lights. I have one in red with a clear lens. Very unnoticeable until you hit the brakes. To test, I had DW follow me with our helmet intercoms. When I hit the brakes, I could see her lit up in her car behind me. She reported back that she needed a welding mask before further testing could proceed...

I can't find it quick in clear lens, but it is the TIR3 series. this is what mine looks like;

It has 3 LED's in there and about 3"x1" in size.

They are not cheap, but they are arguably the best. Just about every Law, Fire, Emergency vehicle in the country uses this brand. These are the type hidden in the grill of unmarked cars. The flash rate can be changed. I have mine set to strobe slow, then speed up, then repeats. The faster it blinks, the more urgent the light seems to be warning on-comers. Here is a red lens version on Amazon;
    Amazon.com: Whelen Engineering TIR3 Series Super-LED Lighthead - Red: Automotive
    Illegal to use as brake lights, but I'm not going to rat you out. (Psssst! I have two of the same light on Tdub2 and use them for integrated brake and turn with flasher.)

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    Don't forget about the headlight modulator to prevent you from getting hit head on by someone making a left turn in front of you. With this, they can't say "I never saw him". Just another safety feature for riding on the road.
    It has a photocell built in and only flashes the headlight (alternates high beam between full bright and dim) a few times a second during daylight hours and is very visible from a distance. It does not reduce the life of the bulb.

I run one of these made by Vizi-tec on both of my TW's and my Ducati. The guy that sells them makes them with OE style connectors to fit many bikes including the TW and the programing is super easy with 10 pre-canned sequences. QUERTY is right, they to work much better with a LED bulb. That's another simple upgrade.

Here is what mine looks like installed.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Where might one find a headlight modulator like you describe?
    Brand?
    Model?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
    Don't forget about the headlight modulator to prevent you from getting hit head on by someone making a left turn in front of you. With this, they can't say "I never saw him". Just another safety feature for riding on the road.
    It has a photocell built in and only flashes the headlight (alternates high beam between full bright and dim) a few times a second during daylight hours and is very visible from a distance. It does not reduce the life of the bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty
    Illegal to use as brake lights, but I'm not going to rat you out. (Psssst! I have two of the same light on Tdub2 and use them for integrated brake and turn with flasher.)
    It used to be, Whelen wouldn't sell them except to official agencies. I got mine through my employment with the government but only because I had them shipped to the warehouse. Could not buy and have shipped to a residence. Looks like that is changed now though.

So far, I've not been challenged for using as a brake light. I rarely ride after dark and in the daytime, they are not going to blind anyone I would think....

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty Blackstone View Post
    Where might one find a headlight modulator like you describe?
    Brand?
    Model?
    Thanks.
    I have one of these:

P115W - pathBlazer

It works great. I have one for sale if you're interested. I had it on my Honda 919 until i went to an LED to conserve power for heated gear. I'll let it go for $85 shipped. PM me if you're interested.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Every bike I have that is 12volts has an LED. Will it work?

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    I have one of these:

P115W - pathBlazer

It works great. I have one for sale if you're interested. I had it on my Honda 919 until i went to an LED to conserve power for heated gear. I'll let it go for $85 shipped. PM me if you're interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links