Taking TW on a Boat
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Taking TW on a Boat

Question Taking TW on a Boat

Just wondering if any have good ideas for hauling TWs on a boat.

I live on an island, with a town and a road system. There are uninhabited (by humans) islands nearby where I could tie to a dock and use my bike on gravel logging and forest service roads. I could also haul it to other towns to have a vehicle when I get there.
    We have taken dirt bikes before just by pushing/pulling/picking them up (three or four of us) and putting them inside an open boat, or on a fishing boat pick them up with the boom block and sit them on deck.

I'm looking for a way to do this by myself on my sport boat.

I am thinking of some kind of ramp to roll it from the dock onto the swim step, tie it down and haul it there. Then tie up at the other dock against the other side of the boat, so it can drive forwad up my ramp and onto the dock.
    Ramp would need to be wide enough to walk alongside bike for control, detachable for under way, and able to attach to either side of the swim step..
    My swimstep is almost big enough as is, but I might build a load deck for it with a channel for the tires, tie down points, and some way to attach the boat end of the ramp. The swim step is plenty strong as to the weight.

It would be nice if all this could be taken off the boat when not needed so it isn't in the way.

Anyone figured this out already? Love to see a picture of such a thing, how it worked for you, any pointers, etc.

Some pics of your boat would help.
    2001 TW200
    1999 DR350SE
    2002 Sportster 1200
    Suzuki Ozark 250 (Broke)
    Rokon RT140 (in a basket)
    Belarus AS250 tractor

This not the best picture, but is what I have on the iPad.
    You can see an inflatable RIB on the step that flips down to launch. I could tow that, and free up the swimstep for a bike...the rear deck is too confined with the railings and canopy for easy use, plus then access into the boat would be blocked.

image.jpg
    Kalifornistan and dette like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I would consider building a separate raft to tow it over. This way you can get the raft into the beach by towing it in with the RIB. It could be made from a small work float or floating dock with tie downs and tow bit and could carry its own ramp. Also old pontoon boats make good work floats and can be had relatively cheap.
    Peterb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbanflood View Post
    I would consider building a separate raft to tow it over. This way you can get the raft into the beach by towing it in with the RIB. It could be made from a small work float or floating dock with tie downs and tow bit and could carry its own ramp. Also old pontoon boats make good work floats and can be had relatively cheap.
    Might work, thanks for the idea.
    Problem is we are on the frequently Unpacific Ocean, so has to be able to come home in some rough water, say 3 to 4 ft seas anyway. More than that I would just stay put for a day or two. Also, then I would need a trailer and have to find space to park it.
    The ideal would be a landing craft, which some here have with a drop ramp bow, but I am trying to avoid yet another boat to maintain and insure.

How about some kind of swivel hoist. Of course this wouldn't work so good if you don't have a dock at all locations.

Imagine the swivel hoist on your boat, not UTV.

Drapes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by boznarras View Post
    Just wondering if any have good ideas for hauling TWs on a boat.......
    Have you looked at the ramps for driving ATV's up into a truck bed? They are made as straight or curved ramps, single or double.

Steel Tri-Fold ATV Ramps

Mudrunner Steel Folding Dual Runner ATV Ramps

I definitely agree that a channel and heavy duty tie-down hardware would be necessary....it would be a real drag losing the TW in heavy seas!
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Thanks for the ideas.
    After consideration, I think I will abandon this idea. Too much risk to the bike and the boat. Got to thinking about all the salt spray on the swim step, ugh what a fright. I can just bum a ride with someone with a work boat where the bike can be inside the hull. Otherwise take my mountain bike and pedal!

A c90 would be lite enough to man handle on to the boat.That is a great looking boat.
    Ebbanflood and littletommy like this.

CT70. Street legal and small enough to toss around. There's also a fat tired electric bicycle on the market that may be just perfect for your application. Not as capable as a TW, but might be good on two-tracks you speak of.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links