dog ride along
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: dog ride along

dog ride along

Well got the tw going, the further I get into it the more I realize that some people should not be their own mechanics. I am not a mechanic but I can rebuild a carb and follow instructions in the manual, and get such wonderful information from the tw forum thanks everybody for all your tech tips and tutorials. No oil, a rigged up boot from air intake to carb that had a big hole so no air was going through the filter, missing gaskets. O well by the time I am done with this ill be able to put another bike together. I think an engine overhaul or a new engine is in order along with a new cab later on as it will be ok for now. All the electrical works its got that going for it. Next will be chain, forks and spring upgrades.

Ill get to the point I have a 70 lb pitbull who wants to go on a ride with me. We tried putting getting him on the font of the seat but his feet dangle and I dont want his feet to get burned. Then we tried to get him to sit on the back but he cant sit on the narrow seat. So I guess ill have to get a large rack and build something that will attach to the rack. Has anybody done this before? What problems do you think Ill be running into? We will be doing FS and dirt roads no highway or very steep stuff. Its going to be registered as OHV until I get all the other stuff done then Ill start on replacing mirrors and lights. This is my first bike and am not sure how it will maneuver with the weight on the back if that will be a big deal or not.

1995 TW
    Point37 and docjekyll2002 like this.

My dog has ridden with me a lot over the years. She is a 45 lb cattle dog and might have better balance than a 70 Pit, but I hardly notice her on back. 70 lbs would be more noticeable, but both of you would have to get use to it.

I have the Cyclerack and put a piece of foam covered by carpet and all secured with a small cargo bungee. The carpet helps her with grip.

This is probably the best photo showing her and the pad.

Here I made an extension to the rear of the Cyclerack. It did make more room, but with more weight rearward, it made the front end a little lighter than I liked. You'll have to experiment and
    see what works. You may have to make a platform a little larger than mine with a dog your size.
    Last edited by admiral; 03-19-2015 at 03:17 PM.

Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

my 73# pit wouldn't like the noise of my exhaust but i wish he could come for a ride with me...i wonder if i can get a sidecar for my bonneville
    Last edited by Point37; 03-19-2015 at 02:04 PM.

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    No goggles?

Quote Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
    No doggles?
    fixed it for ya
    - Doggles Online
    Last edited by Point37; 03-19-2015 at 02:11 PM.

Make it a good experience onboard . Get her used to being up there and reward with treats . After she is use to being up there , then start moving the bike a little at a time..

Thanks guys when I get to that project ill post some pics, I still have tons to do. Everybody has such nice bikes on here. Mine will be good when its done but I hate the blue frame and dont think it would ever go back together if I took it all down and sent it to the powder coater. It is temping though the old man sells paint equipment and spray booths so dipping and powder coating is cheap or free. That will be the last thing I do though even after the engine over haul and new carb.

Man, you all are making me miss my dogs. I want to have a dog again! Be careful and don't go too fast with them on there. They aren't wearing helmets, so personally I'd keep it to lower second gear speeds, tops. That's pretty bad ass that your dogs ride with you though lol!
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
    Be careful and don't go too fast with them on there. They aren't wearing helmets, so personally I'd keep it to lower second gear speeds, tops. That's pretty bad ass that your dogs ride with you though lol!
    def and stick to trails unless you have a good box built for your dog back there and he/she is tied in like GaryL has done...if you've ever fallen off a bicycle on asphalt you know it sucks a lot more than falling on dirt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links