Hello everyone, I am new here; is the TW200 the right bike for me?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Hello everyone, I am new here; is the TW200 the right bike for me?

Question Hello everyone, I am new here; is the TW200 the right bike for me?

I am new to Yamaha and this forum, but I am not new to motorcycles. I have owned 2 BMW oilheads and 1 airhead.

I am considering a TW200 as my errand/commuter ride. I am not into touring nor am I an IBA wannabe.
    I just want to get to the post office grocery store, Yoga Studios, and you get the idea.

I like the TW200 because it is simple, economical. It is both the only bike of it's type with a 31 inch seat height and has more than enough suspension for my 250 pound body. I have thrown a leg over other 250's (Honda Rebel and the like) and either they creak or seating position is really awkward feet forward. Other small displacement dual sports have 34-36 seat heights, and that is too high.

I love the seating position of the TW. It is almost European style, and this bike is really getting under my skin.

I do not go off-road, nor am I a technical terrain rider.

Is this the right bike for the described mission?

Am I missing or overlooking something?

TIA,
    Howard
    dette likes this.

It's the perfect bike for running around town. It can do everything needed, except sustained freeways speeds. Welcome to the forum. If we can help, don't hesitate to ask.
    Hekkler likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I'm 5'9" and 295 lbs. Bike fits me well. I just bought it though only got 25 miles on it so far but I love it. To do what you want it to do, you will find all the info on the mods or adds you would want to do to it on this site. Great info and great people on here.
    Hekkler likes this.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD
    2001 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185XT
    Old Town Trip10 Angler Kayak

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Hello and welcome! Sounds like the TW will suit you just fine.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Welcome!

How well do you know the Oilheads?

its a 12 hp trail bike that can be ridden anywhere. it will do everything that a Harley or Gold wing can do, but much slower, its a tough little bike (21000 miles), simple to work on, and more fun than anything else made. I currently have a FJR 1300 and a TW, had a Honda silverwing( nice scooter) and a Honda rebel 250 which had issues. I'm 62 and riding for years and the TW has the highest fun factor of any bike.

Congrats and Welcome. You'll love that bike. Many uses, and their all fun.....
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by yogaman View Post
    ...this bike is really getting under my skin.

I do not go off-road, nor am I a technical terrain rider.

TIA,
    Howard
    Welcome to the group, we all know the feeling, this motorcycle does "get under your skin"......as for off-road, you may not now but now you can.
    Well, I suppose you can if you decide the TW is for you, I think you will love hopping on a TW to run errands, even if you have to detour over the river and through the woods to get to the market.

Smitty Blackstone,
    I owned a 2002 BMW R1150R and a 2001 BMW R1100R. BMW has issues with the final drives both on R and K bikes. And believe me, the Fatherland has driven away many BMW owners because of the final drive issues. But on long distance rides, there is nothing like a smooth and quiet shaft driven bike. Interestingly, Motoguzzi has solved the final drive problem, but has other things going on. I know that the Japanese manufacturers have made shaft driven models, too. Bottom line, some R and K BMW's need more maintenance and care that other bikes of similar displacement.

But my favorite BMW was my 1973 BMW R75/5 "Airhead" . The previous owner swapped the 4spd tranny for the 1974 5 spd tranny, put on Hagon shocks, and and put a gear in the rear drive that had one less tooth. One gave up a little on the top end, but come out of corner and zoom, zoom, zoom. 48 HP on bike that weighed 479 pounds and had the technology of mid-20th century farm implement, ie easy to work on. I sold it back to the guy I bought it from 2 years later because every time I talked to him he always offered to buy the bike back for what I paid him. Who am I to keep a man from his pleasure? He is a nationally recognized airhead wrench.

But now my needs have changed. I want to get our household down to one cage. I am looking for pure functionality, economy, and little fun.

I hope this helps. H

Dette,
    Ha-ha...I never learned how to ride on dirt or technical terrain. Face plants and spiral fractures of legs do not appeal to me anyhow. But it sure looks like fun!
    They say that if you can ride dirt, you can ride anywhere.
    H
    dette likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links