Greetings from Texas!
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Greetings from Texas!

Greetings from Texas!

Hello everyone!

My name is Tyler, and I hail from Stephenville, TX. I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 7 (21 now), and came across this forum about TW200's after I saw one for sale, and did some research on them. I don't currently own one, but am seriously considering. I've owned a few bikes in my short life (PW50, KTM 50SX, CR80, DRZ125, XR500R, CR250R, XR650R, KX250, and a DRZ400E that was plated and street legal), but currently do not own one. I'm considering one of these for a commuter/around town bike, and to do some trail riding locally and around the land I live on. I'm 6'3" with long torso and 32" inseam and around 290 give or take, depending on how many hot wings I've eaten that day (but currently going down from the weight I gained during girlfriends pregnancy). Will this work for me? My commute is 3.5 miles, with about 1 mile of it being 65 mph road, the rest 45 and 40/45 around town. After seeing now much they go for around here, I'm almost just considering buying one new, being only around $4500.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, and hopefully there are some members near me or the DFW area.

(Pic for entertainment lol)

Thanks!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427232612.699977.jpg
    Last edited by BigTyler; 03-24-2015 at 03:32 PM. Reason: grammatical mistake
    SickPuppy76 likes this.
    1986 Suzuki LT230E
    2004 Polaris Ranger
    2014 John Deere Gator

Quote Originally Posted by BigTyler View Post
    Hello everyone!

My name is Tyler, and I hail from Stephenville, TX. I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 7 (21 now), and came across this forum about TW200's after I saw one for sale, and did some research on them. I don't currently own one, but am seriously considering. I've owned a few bikes in my short life (PW50, KTM 50SX, CR80, DRZ125, XR500R, CR250R, XR650R, KX250, and a DRZ400E that was plated and street legal), but currently do not own one. I'm considering one of these for a commuter/around town bike, and to do some trail riding locally and around the land I live on. I'm 6'3" with long torso and 32" inseam and around 290 give or take, depending on how many hot wings I've eaten that day (but currently going down from the weight I gained during girlfriends pregnancy). Will this work for me? My commute is 3.5 miles, with about 1 mile of it being 65 mph road, the rest 45 and 40/45 around town. After seeing now much they go for around here, I'm almost just considering buying one new, being only around $4500.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, and hopefully there are some members near me or the DFW area.

(Pic for entertainment lol)

Thanks!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427232612.699977.jpg
    Welcome to the forum Tyler. The bike will do what you ask of it without any modifications. I suspect however you will spend MOST of that one mile getting the TW up to 65mph No worries though it will handle those speeds for short distances with no ill affects.

Tom
    BigTyler likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Welcome sir!!
    BigTyler likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Hello and welcome! What Tom said^^.
    BigTyler likes this.

Hey Tyler,

I'm over in Austin, I'm going to be selling my '95 TW200 pretty soon, I reckon. Just waiting on the title paperwork to go through. Not that I don't like it, I do, but I'm up to 14 or 15 bikes now and I buy/refurb/resell 3-4 bikes a year as a hobby... I don't LOVE it and it doesn't really have a place in my single car garage.

i just typed this rather long post in another thread
    https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...tml#post177507

I'll cut to the chase, the TW can do what you want, and its pretty fun, but coming from bigger bikes its tough to get used to. I dunno what it feels like with a nearly 300 lb rider, i'm about a buck 60 soaking wet and it feels pretty slow as-is.

If I had a farm or something I would absolutely love this bike, even if i was driving it into town on 2-lane roads... but in Austin commuting in stop and go and superslab (I ride almost 20 miles each way pinned flat out on 183) it just doesn't make any sense.

If you want to come down here and ride it around for a couple hours (just to ride it, no pressure to buy) you are more than welcome. Let me know if you're in the neighborhood with a PM.
    BigTyler, Joemama and Fred like this.

I'm 5'9 and 290+ lbs. Bike goes fine with me on it, and has no problem getting up to 65. Mine's a 2014, bone stock, brand new. Bike fits me well but I imagine if i was your height it would feel small for me.
    BigTyler likes this.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD
    2001 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185XT
    Old Town Trip10 Angler Kayak

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    Welcome to the forum Tyler. The bike will do what you ask of it without any modifications. I suspect however you will spend MOST of that one mile getting the TW up to 65mph No worries though it will handle those speeds for short distances with no ill affects.

Tom
    Thanks! Yeah, that's fine, it actually drops down to 55 the last 1/4 mile so maybe that'll buy me some time
    1986 Suzuki LT230E
    2004 Polaris Ranger
    2014 John Deere Gator

Greetings from Texas!

Quote Originally Posted by braaapt View Post
    Hey Tyler,

I'm over in Austin, I'm going to be selling my '95 TW200 pretty soon, I reckon. Just waiting on the title paperwork to go through. Not that I don't like it, I do, but I'm up to 14 or 15 bikes now and I buy/refurb/resell 3-4 bikes a year as a hobby... I don't LOVE it and it doesn't really have a place in my single car garage.

i just typed this rather long post in another thread
    https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...tml#post177507

I'll cut to the chase, the TW can do what you want, and its pretty fun, but coming from bigger bikes its tough to get used to. I dunno what it feels like with a nearly 300 lb rider, i'm about a buck 60 soaking wet and it feels pretty slow as-is.

If I had a farm or something I would absolutely love this bike, even if i was driving it into town on 2-lane roads... but in Austin commuting in stop and go and superslab (I ride almost 20 miles each way pinned flat out on 183) it just doesn't make any sense.

If you want to come down here and ride it around for a couple hours (just to ride it, no pressure to buy) you are more than welcome. Let me know if you're in the neighborhood with a PM.
    I've been in the same boat, I love picking up bikes and quads cheap and fixing them up/reselling them. I actually still own a 1986 Suzuki LT230E I did some work on for my younger sister.

Yeah, I live on a 68 acre farm so it'll be fun. All of the roads here are 2 lane, mostly FM roads (if you've ever been to Stephenville). A big difference as I just moved from closer to Ft Worth. I may take you up on that offer, possibly buy it too, when the time comes.
    Last edited by BigTyler; 03-24-2015 at 05:18 PM. Reason: adding
    1986 Suzuki LT230E
    2004 Polaris Ranger
    2014 John Deere Gator

Quote Originally Posted by SickPuppy76 View Post
    I'm 5'9 and 290+ lbs. Bike goes fine with me on it, and has no problem getting up to 65. Mine's a 2014, bone stock, brand new. Bike fits me well but I imagine if i was your height it would feel small for me.
    True, but most bikes I've ridden, I still look like a bear on a tricycle lol. I was thinking some handlebar risers, higher bend bars, maybe build up some foam on the seat to help that.
    1986 Suzuki LT230E
    2004 Polaris Ranger
    2014 John Deere Gator

Quote Originally Posted by BigTyler View Post
    True, but most bikes I've ridden, I still look like a bear on a tricycle lol. I was thinking some handlebar risers, higher bend bars, maybe build up some foam on the seat to help that.
    We have some taller guy's on here like yourself and you nailed the mod's to a tee! All of those mods are relatively inexpensive to boot, so bonus!

Tom
    BigTyler likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links