Just a scooter with balls?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Just a scooter with balls?

Just a scooter with balls?

Ok,...... I'm new here. In fact I'm new to the tw200 and dirt bikes and off roading. I don't have much if any physical experience riding a motorcycle on anything other than city streets, or modern highways with the exception of a 200cc motorcycle trip through Bali which included some dirt roads that were remarkably civilized.

when I was eighteen I owned an xj550 which I felt was underpowered for rural Illinois and later I inherited my fathers 1000cc Moto Guzzi which is awesome but also almost 800lbs and a killer to do anything with but propel my 6 foot 155lb frame in a straight line for hours.

I LOVE MOTORCYCLES! I love scooters.. I love anything with two wheels that propel me faster than i could go naturally and the best times i've had on a bike have been away from civilization, (Bali, Mexico)..

Sooo... This being said. I've got a little cash, i'm a frugal spender and hoping to buy a bike thats going to be perfect for my next adventure..

What is it you may ask?..

I'm moving to San Jose Cabo BAJA SUR MEXICO!!!! I want a bike to tear down pot hole riddled streets, long, relatively civilized dirt roads through the southern tip of the baja and of course act like a hooligan on without worrying so immensely about busting the machine up.

sound like a tw200? not sure? I'm worried about the drive between Cabo San Lucas And San Jose... It's a civilized modern stretch of two or four lane highway with no lights and a lot of drunk speeding locals who like to crash into inanimate objects. BEAUTIFUL RIDE! but not the kind of ride i want to do on a bike that doesn't have some balls so is the T-DUB out?

OR

Do I just avoid this ride and reserve it for the jeep?

Im worried that my infatuation with the tw200 is just about aesthetics. (big tires) but the TW just seems like a Scooter with balls ..ok.. "off road scooter with balls".

Should I be looking for a larger bike?

I know some of you very knowledgable veterans have experienced the Baja and some have even rode tw200's there. If you wanted an very day bike in a place like this would it still be a TW?

Oh.. and another thing.. I'll be spending at least the next riding season riding in Chicago, and the surrounding suburbs. no highways but being able to go 55 with real confidence is a plus.

I'm not really worried about top speed.. I've read a lot of reviews watched a plethra of videos.. Its not a supermoto.. I KNOW, but does it feel peppy enough up to 50 to be really fun?

I like the TW200. Should i shit or get off the pot?

Give me your opinions. They are truly valued.

Thank you!!

My two bits.....

I am biased because, I'm a TW lover; I have found that my TW is way more capable than I originally thought it would be. I bought my 2013 TW with only 380 miles on it in Jan. of 2014 and I put over 7,000 miles on it in the first year. I found myself choosing my TW over my Triumph T100 for most rides to the surprise of some of my riding buddies. The only times I felt that I couldn't keep up with friends was when we were on highways going through the mountain passes. I have taken my TW on the interstate in a stormy downpour, not really my idea of fun but a friend on a larger motorcycle had gotten hurt and I was following the truck she was in because I didn't want to ride home alone taking a more remote route. My TW shines when I hit the forest roads but I also use it for commuting 13 miles to work. Currently, I ride the Triumph to work because the temps are still cool and one thing I do wish is that the TW could handle my heated gear.
    I am like others on this forum, the TW takes you back to your youth, it really is a blast to ride and, I have been surprised at all the people that notice it. Fun, cute, economical and not over the top for someone who is concerned about cost.

040.JPG175.JPG

Well they are not really fast, the suspension is so so, needs a bigger tank, could use another gear and I must admit I was seduced by the fat tires. The good news: TW200s are just so much fun to ride, agile, great on fuel, regeared I can cruise all day at 100 to 110 km/h even with the stock seat and bars. Bikes are such a personal thing it would be great if you could take one for a ride.... bring cash just in case.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

In November I pre rode the Baja 1000 and on to LosBarrilos on a KTM 450 so I've bin there and done that. Speeds on Highway 1 are a steady 60mph or more. On a TW taller gearing would make the trip easier. As far as most towns in Baja, the TW would be perfect. My thought was my TW would make for great sightseeing. My advice would be to have extra chain and sprockets to change for the long trip. A good tire patch kit, be ready and able to use it . Install a good set of hand guards, I call them cactus eaters. You will quickly understand when you hit a cactus at 45MPH and think what would happen to your hands. Spare parts are not available as we are used to. I would go with you except for that 4 letter word work.
    If you are going to be there in the summer months I would look into an oil cooler. In November when we were there it was 90-95 every day.
    Last edited by white mule; 03-24-2015 at 11:06 PM.
    Me and my white mule

I hit 70 mph on the speedo today highway speed. Stock gearing 14/50. It is NOT a ' scooter with balls ' as you think. besides I don't like going that fast any way.
    Rent one or test drive before you buy.

+1 on the front. -1 or -3 on the rear or a combination of both?

Street riding, very little highway, off road limited to mostly level paths, abandoned dirt roads, etc.

I want the Clarke tank but concerned about what I've read.
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Seriously, you believe the TW200 should be...or is...limited off road to mostly level paths or abandoned dirt roads ? WOW !!!!!!

And Mark, you must not be Canadian, because if you were, you would have remembered the "eh"....as in....A.....in the name...OILHEAD....that your R1150GS is. I had an '05 R12GS...an OilHead, and I remembered to include the A in he name. (Just teasing you Mark)

Mike....LIVE...from Moab
    There is very little off road here in CT so I'll be mostly in RI & Pine Barrens, NJ (It's kinda flat) and my skills are old.

Had to leave off the A cuz CT MC plates used to be 6 digits, max. I don't even have that plate anymore!
    TWilight likes this.
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

TW200 HERE I COME!!

Thank you for your no bullshit honest opinions and your speedy replies. I'm sure a few more of you will put in your two cents and I'm very happy to read them.

I have a clear picture of what the tw200 is and I'm pretty sure it fits the bill completely.

with the exception of tanks, tires, gearing, and luggage are your bikes mostly stock or have any of you changed out suspension, exhaust, jetting. aftermarket carbs?

Is there any point in messing with what already sound like a perfect setup from the factory? (for what the bike is)

Thank you again,

hope to see you in the baja..

All the mods you can think of have been tried by someone here on the forum. If there was one thing you should do, it's richen the carb a little. It is as lean as possible from the factory, which can cause hard starting, slow warm up, etc. This one thing can make a stock bike run so much better.
    Hekkler likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    TW200 HERE I COME!!

Thank you for your no bullshit honest opinions and your speedy replies. I'm sure a few more of you will put in your two cents and I'm very happy to read them.

I have a clear picture of what the tw200 is and I'm pretty sure it fits the bill completely.

with the exception of tanks, tires, gearing, and luggage are your bikes mostly stock or have any of you changed out suspension, exhaust, jetting. aftermarket carbs?

Is there any point in messing with what already sound like a perfect setup from the factory? (for what the bike is)

Thank you again,

hope to see you in the baja..
    I love mine, absolutely in love with it. I've posted a couple comments and or threads about the way I use my bike which is (in my opinion) a little different than how many or most of the users here use theirs. Mine is mainly a "get out to the tree stand and pack my elk/bear/deer out with it." I have not done much in the way of technical off road with my bike but "potholed, saplings growing up out in the middle of it" roads YES!. It is a workhorse for me. I've had several hundred pounds loaded onto the bike in addition to my 6-4" 300 lbs. frame and it does the work no problem. As far as gearing, I would take Mike's advice (Twilight) and put a 15t sprocket up front for highway speeds. I've done 65 on pavement on mine for a couple miles at a time but I kept looking for 6th gear. This is something I will possibly change in the future. Since I am a lard ass, I did upgrade the rear spring and am very pleased with the performance. I still need to upgrade the front fork springs because I don't like the dive I get when braking. But the stock suspension might suit a lighter rider just fine. Keep in mind that many of the forum members on here (not all) are older gents with slightly larger stature than some. (how was that for politically correct?) One thing I will say is there are many, many knowledgable and helpful people on here that are more than willing to hand out information or get you going in the right direction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links