New Guy Here: Might Buy A T-Dub
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New Guy Here: Might Buy A T-Dub

New Guy Here: Might Buy A T-Dub

Hey guys! This is my first post, and hopefully the beginning of many!

I was bored today and decided to stop by the local powersports shop. Iv been wanting to get on another bike since I sold my Sportster 2 years ago. I was looking at a used '03 Honda Shadow and the dealer was running the numbers with me. I put my hands behind my head and leaned back in my seat as he jotted down numbers. I looked over and there sat a brand new 2015 TW200. I pointed and said, "What about that dirt bike there?" He kinda chuckled and said, "O, that T-Dub there? Thems neat bikes too". So I hopped up and started looking it over. At first glance, it looked like one rough riding death wish. So I asked him: hows this thing ride? He said it rides like its on rails. I perked up a bit. He says, it rides good, is super stable, gets 80 mpg, yada yada yada. So I had him run those numbers also.

Shadow: $3090 (2003 w/ 16K miles)
    TW200: $5370
    (both out the door. Tax, title, everything included)

My biggest fear is this: I am 6' 3" 200 lbs. Im a fairly big guy. My biggest complaint on my sportster was leg room and comfort. I noticed you guys like to customize, so I wouldn't have any issues customizing the foot pegs to my likings. But how do these things do on the highway? The first mod Id do would be a +1 sprocket to gain some high end. It wont be a highway queen but itll be used on road more than off. Also, how many of you guys have riders? My gf sat on it with me and it wasn't "terrible" but some first hand experience would be nice. And any other info you guys want to throw in would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Seems awful high on the TW. Where are you located? I have a beautiful Sportster up for sale for less than that. Did you have forward controls on the Sportster? You can take the TW almost anywhere, but the freeway. 55-60 all day is ok, 65-70 not so much.

Welcome to the forum!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

It's not a good highway bike it's happier at 55 than 70. It's a fun machine great on dirt roads, fire roads and around town. Mines more off than on road and I'm very happy with it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Those prices seem high.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Not if ur a Canuck. Mine was $5500 OTD.

In all honesty, given your size and weight (I'm 6' and 225) and the fact you are looking for primarily a road bike, and the fact that you appear to want to ride two up with your girlfriend, I don't think the TW is anywhere near your best choice.
    plumbstraight likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Seems awful high on the TW. Where are you located? I have a beautiful Sportster up for sale for less than that. Did you have forward controls on the Sportster? You can take the TW almost anywhere, but the freeway. 55-60 all day is ok, 65-70 not so much.

Welcome to the forum!
    Im in southern IL. The Shadow was in the right price range (they seem to go for $3-4000 around here) but I wasn't sure on the TW since this was the first one Iv seen.

I talked to the better half: she said she probably wont ride on it much anyhow, especially for anything longer than around town. Which is good in a sense. So Ill be solo 90% of the time. We both actually fit on it pretty good. I think I read somewhere theyre good for 400 lbs? Even both of us put together doesnt weigh 400

And that was MSRP on the TW Im sure. That's certainly not what Im paying for it lol. Im a better negotiator than that!

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    In all honesty, given your size and weight (I'm 6' and 225) and the fact you are looking for primarily a road bike, and the fact that you appear to want to ride two up with your girlfriend, I don't think the TW is anywhere near your best choice.
    Agree with this statement. However, since you're already keen on the TW, let her ride it a while and see if she likes it - then you can get a second one and have a 'his' & 'hers' pair. That way she will more than a mere passenger on future outings / trails and as a fellow rider, she'll be more keen to go along. You will be far less likely to counter any resistance when you want to go riding!
    Last edited by Mud Dog; 04-01-2015 at 03:26 PM.
    Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
    It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
    And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

For around town, it's a good bike. I weigh around 340lbs and flog and beat my TW all the time. It never complains and just goes faster and faster..

She say's that now, but just wait till she sees you smiling all the time returning from your rides, then you will have to get her one too. It happens all the time around here. One just isn't enough. Check out TWilights offer. He is a man of integrity and honesty and you can count on him.
    Hekkler likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I haven't bought it yet lol. She sat on it with me at the dealership. And as it turns out, he WAS trying to sell it to me for MSRP. I think I may go in there and explain I really don't need a bike (which is kinda true lol) and the sound of $5000 OTD plus that extra tooth sprocket installed sounds a lot better!

Yea, shes not one of the more adventurous type lol. I give it a 1% chance she will want one of her own lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links