Should I?
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Should I?

Should I?

Here is the dilemma, I am looking at a 2006 TW with 2238 miles, original tires and chain, with the only add on being hand guards. I think she will sell it to me for 1600 but she is being a bit flaky, she says her mechanic friend says it needs float bowl gasket and float needle. Or I have a 2012 Bonneville T100 that I haven't been able to sell that I could trade for a new TW, the trade on my bike is 4965 so I could get the TW plus mx helmet, goggles and gloves(I think) for my bike.
    Should I go new or used and save a lot of money?

Used, thats sounds like a good price with those miles fir a TW. That's low milage.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

rbm
    As long as it runs, doesn't have to be well, that's a good deal for an '06. On the other hand, new is nice... If you don't think you could do better selling the Trump and buying the TW, AND you'd be happy with the deal and not miss the Trump, I say go for new. FWIW, I do like having a bigger street bike, Honda 919, as well as the TW but I'd really be torn if I had to choose one or the other.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Pull that trigger. My 06 has similar mileage and the stock chain and tires. Not a fan of the chain but it'll work for now. If you gotta do any bowl gasket, kill two birds with one stone and throw some jets in that girl.
    williamemack likes this.

Buy the used one ( if it runs at all ) and keep the Bonnie. Then you have two bikes for two different kinds of riding. I got my 2014 new last month for $3600. I woulda bought a used low miles if I coulda found one.
    TWilight likes this.
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

The bike will need new tires at ~$225, not sure of the chain, carb rebuild kit $30-35. At the moment the bike is not running so I don't know if there are any problems but it is a rather simple engine that wouldn't be too much to fix. Although a new bike would be grand and no problems.
    Since I am on the least coast I should represent well and get the used.
    It is hard to decide, that is why I am asking people that have no monkeys in this circus.
    TWilight likes this.

Tires don't cost that much. $115 fir rear shipped, and upgraded front for $70 ish shipped. Well, maybe if you can't mount yourself and gotta pay someone.
    TWilight likes this.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Don't forget the tubes, another $30. The fact that it doesn't run scares me. I bought my 2006 last year for $1,800. It only had 790 miles on it- hard offroad miles. It needed new chain and sprockets, new bars, left side case, and BY ALL MEANS check for a base gasket leak, mine had it and i didn't negotiate that into the price. Very common on these. If you can do the work yourself, it'll cost you near $100 in parts. If you have to take it to a shop, more like, $300 parts and labor. Worst case scenario on the carb, $278 for a new one. How's the inside of the tank look? What's the air filter look like- is it cleaned/oiled? Need a battery? Another $50. Just look it over REALLY well and use your best judgement, better if you can take a friend with you to look at it again- a second pair of eyes to catch things is a big help. And last but not least, this isn't the last used T-dub on earth, if the deal doesn't "feel" right- walk away. You may be really anxious to get one right NOW, but i'll guarantee you, there's plenty where that came from.- Glenn
    Last edited by Hikerglenn; 04-21-2015 at 05:31 PM.
    TWilight likes this.
    "Right's right -even if nobody's doing it and wrong's wrong -even if everybody's doing it"

rbm
    If you can't hear it run you might want to think about a compression test.
    Hikerglenn and TWilight like this.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Yup. Compression test.

My advice is to buy the used bike after a compression test.

You can NEVER have enough motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    If you can't hear it run you might want to think about a compression test.
    TWilight likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links