Base Layers and Long Johns
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Base Layers and Long Johns

Base Layers and Long Johns

So I would really like to extend my cold weather commuting tolerance and have a lil question. Now the second option is kind of pipe dream but it would be nice.
    1. Invest in some serious base layers
    2. Invest in a serious 4 season jacket

Currently I just throw on 2 or 3 sets of long johns and my rain to cut the wind and that works pretty well for the most part. But are the $500+ jackets really worth it? Seams like for that kind of money you might be paying for more brand name than product.
    TWilight likes this.

rbm
    If you can invest in the proper gear you won't regret it. Do your research, and read the reviews. I have mid-grade gear and I'll save my pennies for top quality the nest time around. It is worth it.

I've got a light Icon mesh jacket and I'm pretty happy with it. Layering up is just kind of in my nature so it's usually not too bad. But man, some of those top of the line jackets are sweeeeeet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It's the wind. Invest in some windstopper gear like this:

UltraLight Windproof Innershell :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

I'm sure others make it, and less expensively. But this stuff helps a lot and a 4 season jacket is just a two season jacket with a liner made like this, in my opinion. Ditto with pants.

I'm all about layering. Not sure how cold you're looking to be prepared for but I got a Fly Racing Terra Trek waterproof touring jacket that's got a zip out liner. It stops the wind real well. If I wear long johns, thick pants, and a few layers under the jacket, a neck warmer and warm gloves, I can take a 20 mile or so ride in sunny 35 degree weather. I'm thinking this fall I will invest in a pair of flannel or fleece lined jeans from Cabelas or Beans, because with with this outfit the first thing that gets cold are my legs. Also a sled helmet will probably keep my face warmer. I have one kicking around somewhere.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD
    2001 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185XT
    Old Town Trip10 Angler Kayak

Quote Originally Posted by SickPuppy76 View Post
    I'm all about layering. Not sure how cold you're looking to be prepared for but I got a Fly Racing Terra Trek waterproof touring jacket that's got a zip out liner. It stops the wind real well. If I wear long johns, thick pants, and a few layers under the jacket, a neck warmer and warm gloves, I can take a 20 mile or so ride in sunny 35 degree weather. I'm thinking this fall I will invest in a pair of flannel or fleece lined jeans from Cabelas or Beans, because with with this outfit the first thing that gets cold are my legs. Also a sled helmet will probably keep my face warmer. I have one kicking around somewhere.
    I thought you were talking about -35*. Gee, at +35* I'm still in a t-shirt and flip flops....
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I think a great jacket and pants like Rukka, Klim, BMW, Aerostitch, Spidi, Rev-it and some others are a great investment along with an electric jacket liner and gloves. Gerbing's Motorcycle Heated Clothing - CoreHeat 12 - The Warming Store I've had a Gerbing jacket liner and G3 gloves for many years and both still work great. My legs and feet don't get cold so I don't have the need for heated pants and socks.

Key is to keep the cold air and water off of you. I'll never have a bike without hand guards, heated grips and some sort of windshield. Gore-Windstopper layering stuff is very good especially for your neck.

My favorite jacket has been the BMW Rallye 2 Pro which I've been wearing for almost 10 years and many miles in all weather conditions. It was expensive, but after 10 years, not really !!
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Quote Originally Posted by BRug14468 View Post
    ...... But are the $500+ jackets really worth it? Seams like for that kind of money you might be paying for more brand name than product.
    I really like Olympia gear. Very versatile and not that expensive. After five years I still have not found a reason to change to the more expensive brands. (even when I'm riding the BMW....)

I do have a Tourmaster electric vest and below 50 I will use it. The TW has enough power for it on the one or two setting, but just barely. I pulled the third wire from the always on rear turn signals, saves about three amps. With this set-up, along with Icebreaker base layers and good gloves, I'm comfortable down to about 40 for a couple of hours.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 04-21-2015 at 10:30 PM.
    TWilight likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I can be a bit thrifty and have tried lots of gear the past few years. Last summer I finally invested in Klim (got a killer deal at the Toura Tech Rally) and am not sorry. Wish I had done it sooner but I had to work my way up. I still layer, some days I use Freeze Out base layers (Cycle Gear) other days I use my Gerbing's heated liner and gloves or combinations of both along with various jackets and sweatshirts. Although, I probably won't invest in anymore Gerbing's brand because the new owner's will NOT honor the lifetime warranty that was promised to me and I have had issues with the liner/glove wiring. In fact, I have one of their vests right now that needs attention. I am told by one of our forum members that Gordon's (Gordon Gerbing) will provide the same quality and lifetime warranty the previous Gerbing's provided. I probably just need to learn how to fix that liner myself and not worry about buying yet more expensive gear.

I LOVE MY KLIM GEAR AND DAYTONA BOOTS...... KEEP ME DRY!!!!
    Last edited by dette; 04-22-2015 at 12:51 AM.
    TWilight likes this.

What temps do you want to ride at is the biggest question. This am ride into work it was 29F with freezing fog. I wore my kilimanjaro jacket just tee and sweat shirt under. and my rain pants with just jeans under. Heated glove liners inside of unlined leather gloves and my DS Hornet helmet and I was very comfortable. Now when it gets colder I wear the first gear pants to go with the jacket. When it is really cold below 15-20 I will wear a heated jacket liner and that takes me to well to -27f so far. I also use a dual shield helmet (prevents fogging) with the colder temps and a hood under.
    TWilight likes this.
    2015 CSC RX3, TW200 2013 (for sale), 2011 Ural Gobi, 1995 GL1500SE (for sale)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links